Mounts in garage

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JonNc

Mounts in garage

Unread postby JonNc » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:01 am

I was wondering if anybody has put some of their shoulder mounts in the garage? I’ve got some inside, but I’ve thought about putting future ones in the garage because I have tall ceilings and a lot of wall space there. I could get pretty creative with how I do things. Kids have pretty much taken over the other rooms other than where there are already deer and turkey.

If you have any in garage, what tips do you have for preserving mounts or is it just a bad idea period?

BryanD
Facebook: BryansamanthaDunlap

Re: Mounts in garage

Unread postby BryanD » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:35 am

I would suggest not doing so unless your garage is sealed up. And you run a dehumidifier. I had mine in my shop for 3 years with no problem. Last spring was really wet here in Michigan and when it finally warmed up the humidity was terrible. It was only a 2 day period that I wasn't in there and when I returned my mounts were drenched and covered with mold. They sucked that moisture right up. One of my pedestal mounts had a puddle under it from the water dripping off it. I was able to put them in the sun for 2 days and the UV rays killed almost all the mold. The rest of it my wife was able to use a shop vac with a bristle brush attachment to remove. I was sick and then amazed that it didn't ruin them. I took them out and there not going back. So back to no room on the walls in the house again
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:38 am

Agreed with above, if you dont have a garage that's climate controlled like your house you're asking for a disaster with any shoulder mount. Euros will be fine.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:25 am

A garage has way too wide of temperature and humidity ranges for shoulder mounts. Heat especially would not be good for them. Even in WI my garage gets blazing hot in the summer and this along with high humidity could quickly destroy a mount. Only thing I have in mine is euro mounts as it doesn’t hurt them at all. I keep all the good stuff in the climate controlled house where it belongs. These are picked up sheds and a dead head.

1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:33 pm

I was considering the same.. I’ve got some just sitting on the floor in my basement. Guess I’ll scratch that!! Glad you asked this question.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
muskieman

Unread postby muskieman » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:30 am

I have had mounts in the garage for years and nothing has happened to them. Garage is insulated but not heated. Its north facing so doesnt get extreme heat. I would say go for it...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:41 am

Here are some good tips. #4 and #5 are the key here.

http://outdoortrailsnetwork.com/expert- ... -top-shape
Noreast10pt
500 Club

Unread postby Noreast10pt » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:11 am

Thanks for the idea for where to put my euro mount.

20200428_170140.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hokiehunter373

Unread postby hokiehunter373 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:07 am

muskieman wrote:I have had mounts in the garage for years and nothing has happened to them. Garage is insulated but not heated. Its north facing so doesnt get extreme heat. I would say go for it...

Exact same situation here with 0 ill effects so far. Wouldn't hesitate to add another
Get me in the woods
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:21 am

I have all my mounts in my garage. Never had an issue at all
JonNc

Unread postby JonNc » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:59 am

brkissl82 wrote:I have all my mounts in my garage. Never had an issue at all

Did you do anything such as insulation, dehumidifer, fan, etc?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:11 am

How long have you guys had mounts in your garage? If they have been in there for 15-20 years and still look good then you convinced me it’s OK but if only for a few years that doesn’t say much. As with anything it’s the accumulative damage that adds up over the years. A 20 year old mount kept in less than ideal conditions will never look as good as one kept in a perfect climate controlled area. Look how bad some of those mounts look that have been in bars for many years. Just smoke damage destroys them in no time. Also seen many damaged mounts kept in seasonal cabins that are not heated in the winter. I have mounts over 20 years old and they still look just as good as the day I picked them up. Quality taxidermy helps but also taking care of your mounts NOW will obviously show in much later years.

Usually guys that put shoulder mounts in garages have wives that won’t allow them in the house. :lol:
Not saying that’s the case here but I see that all the time. That would really suck and I would be a bachelor in no time. :hand:
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:10 pm

Mine have been in there for about 6 years at our new house and 3 or 4 at the previous. Both garages were insulated, with plywood walls and modine heaters. I m not saying it's a great place to put them but thats my man cave area. All I ever do is occasionally run a duster by them

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”