New to swamp hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Elite
500 Club

New to swamp hunting

Unread postby Elite » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:22 pm

I found a buck bed on a transition line between dogwood and cattails in water and was wondering: will a buck bed with the wind at his back coming off the cattails or off the dogwood?

Elite
500 Club

Re: New to swamp hunting

Unread postby Elite » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:44 am

Bump
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:58 am

I’ll chime in. I’m no expert! I would kneel in that bed and look around. If you can see well opposite the cattails then maybe he likes wind from the cattails. If there’s no visibility then I really don’t know. Without any visibility I would be leaning toward wind from the dogwood and those cattails being a safety net downwind because something traveling through them will make some noise.
That’s how I would approach it. I’d probably be wrong :lol:
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:11 am

They’re most likely to bed where they can smell where danger will approach from and let their scent blow out across the cattails.

As always it is situational. If the bedding is very secure with good escape they might bed there with any wind. Pressure always factors in. Super low pressure means they’re more likely to “ignore” the wind.

The buck I shot last year was bedded with the wind blowing from the cattails to him. In fact the wind doesn’t really work well for them in that spot at all. NE wind would make sense for that bedding but 75% of the time we have a NW or SE wind. NE wind is pretty rare.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:31 am

Here's a topo image with icons. The X is the bed and the cattails to the south. You can see the bike trail and the local business to the wnw. My gut tells me a north wind-based bed and he's able to scan the cattails and observe the bike trail. Or, a west wind-based bed while still being able to scan the cattails.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:36 pm

From that pic, I would say it looks like he would bed with the wind off the mainland. NW or W winds. But cattail beds are not always wind based.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:42 am

tgreeno wrote:From that pic, I would say it looks like he would bed with the wind off the mainland. NW or W winds. But cattail beds are not always wind based.

Are cattail beds typically more sound-based?
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:59 am

Elite wrote:
tgreeno wrote:From that pic, I would say it looks like he would bed with the wind off the mainland. NW or W winds. But cattail beds are not always wind based.

He will use his nose ,ears & eyes no matter where he beds. Not wind based meaning, he could bed there in any wind conditions. But would probably prefer it coming off the mainland.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:38 am

tgreeno wrote:
Elite wrote:

He will use his nose ,ears & eyes no matter where he beds. Not wind based meaning, he could bed there in any wind conditions. But would probably prefer it coming off the mainland.

Ok good to know! Would this be similar to bedding on an oxbow ie wind blowing from the mainland towards the tip of the bend?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”