Thermal and bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bethedeer1

Thermal and bedding

Unread postby Bethedeer1 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:05 pm

So I have a good buck bed I found this off season adjacent to doe bedding. The issue is its in a valley next to a river bottom were the ballon was sitting. [Really was a balloon and his shed rite there next to each other]. There are 2 main trails leaving the bed both headed up the hillside about 2/3 up then just adirtbike path of deer sign. My question when is that buck in that bed morning or afternoon being down in the valley?

Jdw
500 Club

Re: Thermal and bedding

Unread postby Jdw » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:54 am

Welcome to the Beast.

You will need to throughly scout the area to find clues about when the bedding is being used.
A shed would indicate late season and doe bedding close by could indicate rut.
Then you need to figure out what weather conditions give the buck an advantage using the bedding area.
Food sources changing can have an impact and be sure to account for hunting pressure.

As a general rule bucks will be in areas they feel secure during a large part of the day. Not necessarily the same bed the whole time but in a secure area near bedding.

The exit trails heading up hill would take advantage of falling thermals in the evening when the sun is going down.
Bethedeer1

Unread postby Bethedeer1 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:02 pm

Thank you
All good info.

On my first walk through this I pushed about 5 doe out.
Like you said I think its being used as a rut phase because its downwind of doe bedding so he can check on them.
There are a couple big cedars that he has been hitting year after year by the looks.
If you were in my position this being said am I better of trying to get him coming back to bed in the morning or try and get him cruising on the hillside in the afternoon, or both ??
This is a tough location I understand but I believe if I can get a slip up it will be the biggest deer ive ever taken, worth a sit or 2 for sure just want to make them count. Trail cam??
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:37 am

I don’t know how I would hunt it without getting more information about the spot and trying to learn more about the buck.
I haven’t had much success setting up right on the beds in the morning. What typically happens is I go in 2-3 hours before daylight, the deer come in an hour or more before daylight and they bust me before shooting light.

That’s not to say it doesn’t work but it has been low odds for me.
If you’re hunting the rut, gun hunting or have an obstacle to keep the buck from getting down wind it will help your odds.

If you’re going to try a morning hunt it’s important to know where the buck will be coming from and not leave ground scent in an area where he will encounter it on his way back to his bed.
They also have a tendency to hook around the down wind/down thermal side of the bed to scent check the area before bedding.

Access to your stand site is extremely important for a morning or evening hunt. I would start by figuring out how you can get close enough to the buck to be in the game without messing it up and then pick a stand site.
If the bedding is only being used on a certain wind you need to make sure the wind he is bedding on will allow for your entry route and stand location.
Another thing to consider is if the buck will shift his bedding location within the area and where other deer will be bedding to try limit the chance of spooking them.

You will likely only get a few hunts in that spot before the buck is either is extremely careful in the area or relocates altogether so determining when to hunt it is important.

That could be based on what weather conditions will have on his feet in daylight for a few extra minutes in the morning or evening. Or the weather conditions it takes to cover the sound of your entry to your stand or when a food source is hot in the direction you need him to go or come from. Or rut related activity or hunting pressure.

As far as the camera is concerned your best bet is to figure as much as you can out now and then leave the place alone until the day you hunt it.
A camera can provide good info but if you’re not careful about how you use it the buck will learn more about patterning you than you learn about him.
If you determine the benefit outweighs the risk be careful about where you put it and how often you check it.

Good luck putting the pieces together.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:12 am

Jdw is right on....valley floors are tough because of winds and thermals. You already know you"ll get one or maybe two shots on this buck. Scout as much as you can, do a long range observence if poss. The best part of this is if this is a good bed, even if this year does'nt pan out, there will be a chance of a decent buck in that bed next year. Never give up...
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Bethedeer1

Unread postby Bethedeer1 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:09 am

All food for thought. If it were easy we wouldn't be doing it right.
I'm going to put boots on the ground but stay out of that core area until its go time.
As for the trail cam I think I'm going to dedicate 1 for the ridge I think he should be cruising. I can get a cam in there without being on top of them, set it up at a distance far enough it shouldn't be noticed and not skyline.i plan on letting it soak for a good while. Hopefully I can atleast get a idea of weather conditions and travel times. Hopefully get some good details on size and age.
I do appreciate the time and knowledge. I'm sure it wong be the last time and good luck. I owe you both pictures when I can put hands on him lol..

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”