Day 2 of scouting during my quarantine

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Elite
500 Club

Day 2 of scouting during my quarantine

Unread postby Elite » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:01 am

I scouted a new piece yesterday about 1/2 mile south of my house. There's still quite a bit of snow on the ground and the frozen water allowed me to access remote areas.

My primary objective was to find buck beds on points and transition lines, and sign going in or out of the swamps. However, I found no buck beds and the only rut sign was found on the mainland. It was a cluster of medium sized rubs which I assumed was a doe bedding area. I did find 3-4 stands where the pins are located and two cameras. The white dots are essentially my path of travel.

A lot of the trails in the snow and droppings were going into the swamps but no rubs where the swamps meet the points, etc. The swamps are mostly alder or brush with a reddish bark. I ventured into these areas but not too far just to be safe with the ice conditions.

Any insight would be much appreciated. I'm thinking of writing this spot off....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KornfedKiller

Re: Day 2 of scouting during my quarantine

Unread postby KornfedKiller » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:37 am

I'd like to add a question to OP's post if it's ok:

How often will you find bucks bedding in areas through September and october without rubs/signs of rut? Or is this a move of immature bucks, whereas mature bucks stay put year round?
Elite
500 Club

Re: Day 2 of scouting during my quarantine

Unread postby Elite » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:12 am

KornfedKiller wrote:I'd like to add a question to OP's post if it's ok:

How often will you find bucks bedding in areas through September and october without rubs/signs of rut? Or is this a move of immature bucks, whereas mature bucks stay put year round?

Great question!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”