Night Bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MichiMan

Night Bedding

Unread postby MichiMan » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:07 pm

Trying to get a better grasp on night bedding and how it ties into the big picture of things. I've seen bucks bed down in the middle or edge of a crop field at night while shining but don't really know much past that. I've heard mention of bucks bedding between food source and day bedding before light. What is the purpose of that? Surveying their bedding area? Waiting on thermals? What have you guys come across and how does it come into play with your setups? Anyone bump deer off a night bed when going in for a morning hunt?

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Night Bedding

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:14 am

MichiMan wrote:Trying to get a better grasp on night bedding and how it ties into the big picture of things. I've seen bucks bed down in the middle or edge of a crop field at night while shining but don't really know much past that. I've heard mention of bucks bedding between food source and day bedding before light. What is the purpose of that? Surveying their bedding area? Waiting on thermals? What have you guys come across and how does it come into play with your setups? Anyone bump deer off a night bed when going in for a morning hunt?

All of the above. Most night bedding I find will be related to rut or food scenarios. If you find a bed, think its a buck using it but safety factors are missing from the equation - then most likely night/rut bedding. Iv found very large beds edge of crop areas or right in the middle of a acorn flat. I have also jumped deer walking in during Nov, when they were clearly bedded and out of suspected position. My suspicion is they are bedded to rest and intercept does coming back to bed. Same idea I have except he beat me. Its hard to say whether every single one is a buck bc its dark but you cant mistake a solo, heavy body and large hoofs bounding off.

The way it fits into big picture for me is locating the actual bedding near by to intercept him. Also if there is a night bed then there should be sign like a track or rub close by. Locating tracks is key bc they cant hide it like a rub or scrape. 9/10 mature shooter bucks will have large feet.
MichiMan

Re: Night Bedding

Unread postby MichiMan » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:51 pm

Great info, thanks for that. "Missing safety factors" is a great way to explain one of these scenarios. Would you say the majority of the time the night bedding you've seen is right on the food source then?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”