Where’d they go

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Flyers1001

Where’d they go

Unread postby Flyers1001 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:37 am

Hey guys I hunt mainly north western Mn and I can find bed in the swamps surrounded by water. Seems like the deer are in the heavy in the summer and early fall, but then they disappear and the sign dries up in the wet stuff usually around the end of October early November. Which is usually about the time we start getting ice on the swamps and they start searching for does but the does even quit using anything with water. Then if we get good ice before we get a lot of snow they will start using them again, but if we get a lot of snow they won’t go back into them. There’s really no hunting pressure deep in there on these big tracts. I just have a hard time finding them after they dispersed out the thin ice covered swamps before we have snow. Also as soon we start getting ice the wolves start hitting the swamps which could play a factor in this also and firearms season is getting underway early November but none of those guys really hit the swamps they stick to the easy to hunt stuff. It seems like a perfect storm to get the deer to relocate at that time of the year. Has anyone experienced this in their area have an idea where they go?

Ottercreek

Re: Where’d they go

Unread postby Ottercreek » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:27 am

I have found the same thing in swamps in northern Wisconsin. Activity usually decreases about the same time I start to see coyote tracks show up deep in the swamp. I have always thought that once the water freezes and there is snow on the ground they lose the protection of the water and there isn't a real advantage to being out in the swamp vs anywhere else.
swampyak
500 Club

Re: Where’d they go

Unread postby swampyak » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:31 am

It's not uncommon for me to find the same thing. They are in the marsh areas then leave for a bit then at times come back after snow and ice, but not necessarily right away. Unfortunately it seems to happen around rifle season, sometimes before, sometimes during and sometimes after. Just depends on the year. It doesn't seem to be from human pressure. It seems sometimes they move inland 1/4 mile other times just leave the area.
Its hit or miss. It can be good when their there. Important to look for very fresh sign. It seems like when they leave it is most of the deer and over night they are just gone.
It's easy to waste a hunt or two

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”