2020 Michigan Beast Member Public Land Challenge

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

The_Real_Jmill

Re: 2020 Michigan Beast Member Public Land Challenge

Unread postby The_Real_Jmill » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:35 am

Trout wrote:Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this trip! It doesn't look like we are gonna have high turnout but thats ok, it will be fun whether its 1 or 10 people. This is a challenging area to hunt, and a great way to put hunting skills to the test. I've hunted a lot of swamps but never one this big, breaking it down cyberscouting has been fun. I'm excited to get there in a month and put boots on the ground.

Unfortunately/fortunately I just started a new job so I won’t have enough vacation time to make the trip this year. That’s why I have been MIA from here lately. Keep me posted on how it goes and if there are any like it in the future. Good luck this year everyone

Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:18 am

Trout wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:
Trout wrote:Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this trip! It doesn't look like we are gonna have high turnout but thats ok, it will be fun whether its 1 or 10 people. This is a challenging area to hunt, and a great way to put hunting skills to the test. I've hunted a lot of swamps but never one this big, breaking it down cyberscouting has been fun. I'm excited to get there in a month and put boots on the ground.

It sounds like you are committed so stay with it if so. You never know who may show. I have seen posts like this go south because there was no real plan and its like herding cats trying to get people to commit. But if your attitude is it is going to happen regardless who shows, it could surprise you who may show. I say to myself every year that I am going to hunt deer in the UP this year. Its been about 7 years since I did any hunting up there.

Haha, I have been organizing trout camps, deer camps, cast and blast camps and hiking camps with my local friends for the last 10 years. Im not sure how I became the guy who always plans everything,, but I dont mind doing it, plus, if I didn't do it, we'd never get together all at once. Planning is the easy part. Going up there and shooting a deer without ever having hunted there before will be the tricky part. I'm really looking forward to giving it my best.

Trout, any idea how many guys are planning on this? I haven't seen any posts.on this in quite a while. I'm planning on going myself, I was thinking of bringing an evening meal and an approximate head count would be helpful.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:23 am

Wetfoot wrote:
Trout wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:

It sounds like you are committed so stay with it if so. You never know who may show. I have seen posts like this go south because there was no real plan and its like herding cats trying to get people to commit. But if your attitude is it is going to happen regardless who shows, it could surprise you who may show. I say to myself every year that I am going to hunt deer in the UP this year. Its been about 7 years since I did any hunting up there.

Haha, I have been organizing trout camps, deer camps, cast and blast camps and hiking camps with my local friends for the last 10 years. Im not sure how I became the guy who always plans everything,, but I dont mind doing it, plus, if I didn't do it, we'd never get together all at once. Planning is the easy part. Going up there and shooting a deer without ever having hunted there before will be the tricky part. I'm really looking forward to giving it my best.

Trout, any idea how many guys are planning on this? I haven't seen any posts.on this in quite a while. I'm planning on going myself, I was thinking of bringing an evening meal and an approximate head count would be helpful.

We are sitting at 4 with 2 of those a strong maybe. I'd guess we have 3 or 4. I'm planning to cook venison stroganoff for everyone Saturday night :dance: (beef if i haven't got a deer down by then)

We have a email chain with all the details on where we will be camping, etc., just to respect everyone's privacy. You should have got a couple/few emails by now, if you didn't, let me know and I can resend.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:50 am

One week out! This is happening and the weather is looking absolutely perfect for chasing whitetails and doing some camping. :dance:
Scott S

Unread postby Scott S » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:29 am

Light em up, boys.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:01 pm

Wish I could make it, but I can’t get away much on the weekends. Hope you guys have a great time. Keep us updated!
Ranger12
500 Club

Unread postby Ranger12 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:32 am

This sounds absolutely amazing! And I love the UP. I have achess to a place near trout lake. I would love to go, but I do only have weekends, which would only leave me with pretty much a day to get it done, but it would still be a blast!!
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:03 am

Good luck men, sounds like fun!!
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:51 am

I'm pumped :dance: , Looking like we'll have a southerly wind friday, with a switch to westerly saturday morning then out of the north saturday evening, then back to southerly for sunday.  That switch to out of the north should get some deer on their feet!  I'm still planning to head up Thursday after work, should arrive around dark.  Will set up camp, sleep, then am heading out to scout when I wake up friday morning.  May hunt friday night or do some kind of observation sit and hopefully find a deer to chase saturday and sunday.  
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:18 pm

Not going to be able to make it. My wife and I both tested positive today. House arrest for 4 more days for me. Was really looking forward to this. Good luck everyone.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:53 pm

Wetfoot wrote:Not going to be able to make it. My wife and I both tested positive today. House arrest for 4 more days for me. Was really looking forward to this. Good luck everyone.

Bummer! I hope you are both well soon!
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:41 pm

Recovered nicely now from the plague. My wife's fever is down so she should be back to normal soon. I got the green light to get back out but have commitments till Friday which I plan to take off and get after it. Haven't heard anything from the guys that went and was wondering how the turn out was and if anyone got on deer. :think:
amarty734

Unread postby amarty734 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:20 am

Did anybody have any luck this year for the Michigan Challenge? I shot one last year doing it and had a ton of fun! Going on the trip wasn't in the cards for me this year but would be awesome to do someday. I was lucky enough to get one down while following the PLC rules on Sunday night!
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:27 am

amarty734 wrote:Did anybody have any luck this year for the Michigan Challenge? I shot one last year doing it and had a ton of fun! Going on the trip wasn't in the cards for me this year but would be awesome to do someday. I was lucky enough to get one down while following the PLC rules on Sunday night!

Everyone had other things come up and couldn't make it. I wanna try again next year. Maybe a location in the lower peninsula would draw more interest and be easier for guys to attend.

I am doing a "public land challenge" with some friends in mid-michigan region this weekend. We just picked the location on Sunday, tough area, not like what I'm used to hunting, cant wait to start walking the edges when I get there Friday after work. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
The_Real_Jmill

Unread postby The_Real_Jmill » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:18 am

Keep me posted I should be able to make it happen next year and would love to attend.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”