Michigan public vs Tim

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kraftd
500 Club

Re: Michigan public vs Tim

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:48 am

Kinda where I'm at too. See it through where I've invested lots of time, versus broaden my horizons in search of efficiency.

Hunting private spots and higher deer numbers in central WI has confirmed for me that I do continue to develop my skills, despite what my results on local private show. I suspected MI was a bit the same for you. The grind can be rewarding and fun, but nice to hit some higher deer number areas sometimes to confirm you are in fact growing.

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:16 am

Kraftd wrote:Kinda where I'm at too. See it through where I've invested lots of time, versus broaden my horizons in search of efficiency.

Hunting private spots and higher deer numbers in central WI has confirmed for me that I do continue to develop my skills, despite what my results on local private show. I suspected MI was a bit the same for you. The grind can be rewarding and fun, but nice to hit some higher deer number areas sometimes to confirm you are in fact growing.

That is exactly the case for me. It's hard to see progress in areas with low deer density because the success isn't as common. But when you head into an area that has higher numbers and get on deer or deer sign, that's a sign of growth as a hunter and a confidence boost that you're doing something right. Also it's good to expand on different areas because that can really make you more versatile and efficient. I've heard of some guys who cut their teeth in bigwoods/northwoods hunting and went to better areas with higher deer density and had great success. Something to look forward to for me. ;)
TitansTracking

Unread postby TitansTracking » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:35 am

Great video ! Michigan public is special stuff. I reside in the central Michigan area, and let me tell you i would rather hunt public than the private. 2019 recap was thank the lord for the bait ban. I seen daylight movement until mid October before things started to slow down which is not typical where I'm from. Im surprised you ran into hunters i very rarely run into any hunters where I'm at.
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:21 am

Great video Tim ! Thanks for sharing. Loved seeing your setup.

I agree, you made the right choice on passing up the shot. If you saw other bucks, including the one Joe shot, passing was even a better choice, IMO.
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:50 am

Nice video Tim! I agree, that was a successful hunt even though it didn’t result in a kill. Picked the right tree based on all the info you gathered from the observation sit. Given the circumstances with available time to hunt, the challenges of Michigan public, size of bucks seen prior, etc. I think I would have tried to shoot If he presented a good shot. However, I know I would have been on the fence just like you. I’ve never done an out of state hunt before so that would play into my decision to shoot as well. Nice job again!
perchsoup

Unread postby perchsoup » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:56 am

Awesome video Tim! No better way to learn than for the Master himself to put you on deer to try your own luck. I'm sure plenty was learned in that short trip that can only improve your skill going forward!!!!
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:48 am

Net Guy wrote:Nice video Tim! I agree, that was a successful hunt even though it didn’t result in a kill. Picked the right tree based on all the info you gathered from the observation sit. Given the circumstances with available time to hunt, the challenges of Michigan public, size of bucks seen prior, etc. I think I would have tried to shoot If he presented a good shot. However, I know I would have been on the fence just like you. I’ve never done an out of state hunt before so that would play into my decision to shoot as well. Nice job again!

Thanks Les! Yeah a lot was going through my head during that hunt. I'm glad I didn't force something but at the time guys in camp were struggling with getting shots on deer and I wanted something that could help the challenge. And it was the last day for me to shoot something. Had that buck walked by me back home I'd happily pass him without question. But with last day, it was a legal buck, out of state, expensive tag, for the PLC. I had plenty of reasons to shoot him. :lol:
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:50 am

perchsoup wrote:Awesome video Tim! No better way to learn than for the Master himself to put you on deer to try your own luck. I'm sure plenty was learned in that short trip that can only improve your skill going forward!!!!

Out of the trip I think the one thing that stands out was that Dan chewed me out for not bringing my saw with on a hunt. I'll never not have my saw with me again. :lol:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:55 am

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:
perchsoup wrote:Awesome video Tim! No better way to learn than for the Master himself to put you on deer to try your own luck. I'm sure plenty was learned in that short trip that can only improve your skill going forward!!!!

Out of the trip I think the one thing that stands out was that Dan chewed me out for not bringing my saw with on a hunt. I'll never not have my saw with me again. :lol:

Why was that? And can you trim on public in MI?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:07 am

greenhorndave wrote:
NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:

Why was that? And can you trim on public in MI?

You can't I don't think, but you can remove dead stuff out of the way.
Jerry40
Facebook: jerryballs76@aol.com

Unread postby Jerry40 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:15 am

Great video. I don't see many 2.5 year old deer in Michigan. I probably would have decided to shoot at the first oppertunity. I am still trying to control the trigger finger and wait to see what else is out there. :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”