Bowhunting & Blood Tracking

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

<DK>
500 Club

Bowhunting & Blood Tracking

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:48 am

After having a rough go last year I joined a tracking group online and came across something very interesting and figured id share here. This was posted on FB page called 'The Callie Chronicles' which is based on a man and his dog blood tracking deer. He did a fantastic job keeping records.

Here are some key stats after 100 tracks (94 archery/6 firearm) over the course of the last 3 seasons (we average just over 30 tracks per season).

- 45 deer were recovered (national average for leashed tracking dogs is between 30%-35%)
- Of the non-recovered deer, 10 were later confirmed still alive (trail camera, taken later in the season, etc.), 6 were successfully tracked but jumped and the track called, 4 tracks were ended prematurely due to property line issues, and 2 deer were later found dead by the hunters. The vast majority of the remaining "unrecovered" deer were tracks for presumed non-lethal hits (high shoulder, neck, leg, etc).
- Average age of tracks was approximately 14 hours old
- Average time spent on each track was 80 minutes
- Average shot distance was 25 yards
- 18 tracks were for Does
- We advanced (with blood confirmation) 75% of all tracks
- Average advancement was 223 yards
- Average distance from shot location to recovered deer was 456 yards
- 6 deer were found within 50 yards of water (30% of the surface area of MN and WI is comprised of water)
- Tracks for complete passthrough shots comprised about half of our tracks
- 59 tracks were for Mechanical broadheads and 35 were for Fixed broadheads
- Mechanical heads had a recovery rate of 41% and Fixed heads had a recovery rate of 46%
- Mechanicals had a passthrough rate of 41% and Fixed heads had a passthrough rate of 74%
- Recovery rates for ALL passthroughs were 59%
- Recovery rates for ALL non-passthroughs were 21%
- Passthrough tracks for Mechanical heads had a 67% recovery rate while passthrough tracks for Fixed heads had a 40% recovery rate
- Non-passthrough tracks with a Mechanical head had a 25% recovery rate while non-passthrough tracks with Fixed heads had a 22% recovery rate

Having lost so many deer myself, the ones that stand out to me are the average distances from the shot or last blood. So it makes me wonder how many deer have actually died but most hunters would say hes going to live.

KRoss480

Re: Bowhunting & Blood Tracking

Unread postby KRoss480 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:44 am

Probably a lot more than what you think, it’s amazing what some of those dogs can do. I don’t know about other states, but here in MS there’s a group on Facebook where you can request a dog to come assist on a track and they will get you in touch with handlers in your area free of charge. Most folks just pay the handler in tips for their time and service. It really is a helpful tool in the event that you or someone you know makes a bad shot.
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:45 am

Ya man really cool stuff. Shane Simpson is the guy you're talking about. He's a member here and a great resource for deer hunting, turkey hunting and blood tracking.

I feel your pain. 3rd year in a row I've lost one to the coyotes before I could locate it.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:11 am

Babshaft wrote:Shane Simpson is the guy you're talking about. He's a member here

I should have known :lol:
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:50 am

<DK> wrote:
Babshaft wrote:Shane Simpson is the guy you're talking about. He's a member here

I should have known :lol:

Hahahahaha

I had a Callie binge not long ago.

Amazing watching a tracking dog.
The_Real_Jmill

Unread postby The_Real_Jmill » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:19 am

Cool stats.

The average distance is interesting and so are the pass through percentages and recovery rates.

Amazing what those dogs can do.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:47 am

I had to utilize a tracking dog this season, two actually. For the same buck..

It truly is mesmerizing to watch the dogs work, so much so that my next dog will be trained to blood track.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:57 am

I have my lab trained to track dogs, quite rewarding. Being a new handler my biggest mistake is not trusting the dog. Interesting statistics above.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:03 am

purebowhunting wrote:I have my lab trained to track dogs, quite rewarding. Being a new handler my biggest mistake is not trusting the dog. Interesting statistics above.

Agreed PB, funny you say that bc I learned that lesson as well.

I think I am getting a dog and going to train it or try to train my current dog. I feel like the stats show its important to have as bow hunter or at least guys w bad luck / bad shots.

After reading this last year I took my mutt out to see what she could do. She always runs off and comes home smelling like something dead so I know she can find scents. She even found a dead body one time (terrible story). After I kill / process a deer, she can dang near smell me in the driveway and meets me at the door.

First time out was learning for both of us and no luck really. I know that deer is dead but poor weather really jacked everything up searching for it. Second time last season she actually did very well but I thought I knew where the buck went before picking up the trail and I messed her game up... Turns out I was wrong and she was right. So, were both learning with just a couple times trying. She would have lead me straight to the 2nd deer if I would have just let her go. I found the deer later and jumped it up.

I have learned a TON tracking deer over the years, more than I thought I ever would learn. A lot was bc of other people needing help w theirs. I have learned to keep negative thoughts at bay while tracking, iv learned to use maps / terrain to locate them w no blood. Actually started feeling too confident doing it then last year happened. Still, I picked up couple trails 90%+ people wouldnt have found IMO. Deer just seem to always find a way to humble me when I think I have something figured out.

I have gotten much better w my shooting too, I finally put a very solid shot on a big buck w back tension release yet he still got away from me. Only later to put 2 crap shots on bucks w my rifle. Feeling bad or remorse for the animal hasnt been a thought like it used to be. I guess it could be bc im getting older or too many exp not really sure about that part yet. It angers me that I dont feel bad anymore. :think:

Either way im taking step back from things for awhile, I already have but that doesnt mean I cant gain some confidence back. Im just tired of losing them. Its sickening at this point... Not letting it consume me anymore. A Lot of work w no reward and im feeling selfish about it. However - I think having confidence in a dog would help me get back into it. At the very least im getting all the contacts around my area who can track and make sure I have cash ready.
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:55 pm

<DK> wrote:
purebowhunting wrote:I have my lab trained to track dogs, quite rewarding. Being a new handler my biggest mistake is not trusting the dog. Interesting statistics above.

Agreed PB, funny you say that bc I learned that lesson as well.

I think I am getting a dog and going to train it or try to train my current dog. I feel like the stats show its important to have as bow hunter or at least guys w bad luck / bad shots.

After reading this last year I took my mutt out to see what she could do. She always runs off and comes home smelling like something dead so I know she can find scents. She even found a dead body one time (terrible story). After I kill / process a deer, she can dang near smell me in the driveway and meets me at the door.

First time out was learning for both of us and no luck really. I know that deer is dead but poor weather really jacked everything up searching for it. Second time last season she actually did very well but I thought I knew where the buck went before picking up the trail and I messed her game up... Turns out I was wrong and she was right. So, were both learning with just a couple times trying. She would have lead me straight to the 2nd deer if I would have just let her go. I found the deer later and jumped it up.

I have learned a TON tracking deer over the years, more than I thought I ever would learn. A lot was bc of other people needing help w theirs. I have learned to keep negative thoughts at bay while tracking, iv learned to use maps / terrain to locate them w no blood. Actually started feeling too confident doing it then last year happened. Still, I picked up couple trails 90%+ people wouldnt have found IMO. Deer just seem to always find a way to humble me when I think I have something figured out.

I have gotten much better w my shooting too, I finally put a very solid shot on a big buck w back tension release yet he still got away from me. Only later to put 2 crap shots on bucks w my rifle. Feeling bad or remorse for the animal hasnt been a thought like it used to be. I guess it could be bc im getting older or too many exp not really sure about that part yet. It angers me that I dont feel bad anymore. :think:

Either way im taking step back from things for awhile, I already have but that doesnt mean I cant gain some confidence back. Im just tired of losing them. Its sickening at this point... Not letting it consume me anymore. A Lot of work w no reward and im feeling selfish about it. However - I think having confidence in a dog would help me get back into it. At the very least im getting all the contacts around my area who can track and make sure I have cash ready.

Maybe you just need to try a 300 grain broadhead
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
Dhoff
500 Club

Unread postby Dhoff » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:40 pm

I was on a track this year that had a dog. It is an amzing thing to watch. The shot on the deer was back and there was little to no blood to follow. It also snowed over night. The dog made quick work out of it like it was nothing. The deer had even crossed a creek where he ended up bedding up and expiring.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:08 pm

These kind of stats always open my eyes to something I didn't know or to something I thought I knew but maybe dont know so well. Using statistics as much as I do for my job, it's fun to break down these kind of numbers.

I'm curious. If the average recovered deer for him was 456yds, what was the max? What were the actual distances, I would live to see them plotted out on a graph going from shortest to longest. Are a bunch near the average or are they all just scattered evenly through a huge range?

Would have guessed more would be found near water.

Tracking dogs and their increased use is one of the best trends in bowhunting. I say that just because of the number of deer these dogs are finding that would not have been found otherwise.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:43 pm

Those distances are wild. A dude on foot walking a grid doesn't have a lot of hope...
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:17 am

gsquared23 wrote:Maybe you just need to try a 300 grain broadhead

Ha, maybe so
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:20 am

Trout wrote:I'm curious. If the average recovered deer for him was 456yds, what was the max?

Exactly my thoughts when I read this. 450 being the avg was very shocking. Im guessing the longest distances were bc of bumping the deer too many times.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”