Stand in willow clumps

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

swampyak
500 Club

Stand in willow clumps

Unread postby swampyak » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:15 pm

Anyone ever found a good way to hunt out of big willow clumps?

Swamp Stache

Re: Stand in willow clumps

Unread postby Swamp Stache » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:11 am

Havent killed from it yet. But customized a 4ft step ladder with a Turkey seat in top and hooks ok each side for gear bag and bow holder. Also added a gun sling to carry it in with which is nice on longer walks. Works good just off the corn edge too!
It only takes 15 seconds for the hunt of a lifetime.
DALEJ

Unread postby DALEJ » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:50 am

Any pics of that lddr available
Swamp Stache

Unread postby Swamp Stache » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:52 pm

I'll try and dig it out and take a pic soon. Of course I then will have to learn how to post pics on here...
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:10 pm

How big of Willow trees are you taking about? Saplings or actual willow trees big enough to get a stick on? You trying to shoot out from the willows or hunting within the willows?

I have done it on my place out in MN grown up river bottom with lots of Willow brush and trees. Most the time I have just hunted on the ground targeting parallel trails to food or bedding in the cover. Guille suit helps alot but gotta pay attention real close or they will be on top of you in no time. If you got some willows in 4 inch caliber or bigger should be able to use a saddle. One of the reasons I went the saddle route.
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:01 pm

Mopar1169 wrote:How big of Willow trees are you taking about? Saplings or actual willow trees big enough to get a stick on? You trying to shoot out from the willows or hunting within the willows?

I have done it on my place out in MN grown up river bottom with lots of Willow brush and trees. Most the time I have just hunted on the ground targeting parallel trails to food or bedding in the cover. Guille suit helps alot but gotta pay attention real close or they will be on top of you in no time. If you got some willows in 4 inch caliber or bigger should be able to use a saddle. One of the reasons I went the saddle route.

We have big willow brush in clumps, but no trees. Good point on a saddle. Maybe could hollow out the inside of the right clump.
Also wondered if one could ratchet strap the upper portion of a clump somewhat together so you could add a stand to it.
Main problem I see with that is big ratchet straps are loud when tightening so it needs to be done in advance. I dont like to leave scent beforehand.
If it was done late winter or early spring there maybe brush health issues or strap structural issues.
Just trying to think outside the box
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:17 pm

swampyak wrote:
Mopar1169 wrote:How big of Willow trees are you taking about? Saplings or actual willow trees big enough to get a stick on? You trying to shoot out from the willows or hunting within the willows?

We have big willow brush in clumps, but no trees. Good point on a saddle. Maybe could hollow out the inside of the right clump.
Also wondered if one could ratchet strap the upper portion of a clump somewhat together so you could add a stand to it.
Main problem I see with that is big ratchet straps are loud when tightening so it needs to be done in advance. I dont like to leave scent beforehand.
If it was done late winter or early spring there maybe brush health issues or strap structural issues.
Just trying to think outside the box

Yeah not sure if you could pull enough of them together to get stable or not. Most of the Willow brush I have hunted has a willow or two that are big enough to get a little bit off the ground. But most of the time I have just hunted on the ground. The area I hunt has alot of reads canary grass so you can stay hidden pretty easily with a guille on but most of the time you don't get a lot of warning before a deer is on top of you. I have only done this hunting style during the rut when you get bucks cruising looking for does on those parallel trails in the security of cover. The thing you gotta be careful though at least where I hunt there is normally deer bedded up and down the edges. Good luck.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:11 pm

Swamp Stache wrote:Havent killed from it yet. But customized a 4ft step ladder with a Turkey seat in top and hooks ok each side for gear bag and bow holder. Also added a gun sling to carry it in with which is nice on longer walks. Works good just off the corn edge too!

I like this idea and know a few spots in willow clumps that it would work great.
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:03 am

Dewey wrote:
Swamp Stache wrote:Havent killed from it yet. But customized a 4ft step ladder with a Turkey seat in top and hooks ok each side for gear bag and bow holder. Also added a gun sling to carry it in with which is nice on longer walks. Works good just off the corn edge too!

I like this idea and know a few spots in willow clumps that it would work great.

X2
Waiting on pics
Swamp Stache

Unread postby Swamp Stache » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:53 am

I got out to the shed today and took a couple pics. Now ill have to read up on how to post a pic ha. Hopefully tonight I'll get some time.
Swamp Stache

Unread postby Swamp Stache » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:39 am

20200305_124613.jpg
20200305_124634.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:38 am

Nice idea Swamp Stache! I may be copying that. The aluminum would be very light but noisy. Uncle Lou may be getting a big order for stealth strips!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:41 pm

Looks good. All it need is some wings that flip out on the feet to help from sinking into marsh muck or soft ground.
Swamp Stache

Unread postby Swamp Stache » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:14 pm

Ya the feet sinking in the mud is an issue until it hits the first step. That ladder is fiberglass so a little quiter than aluminum. But could still use some stealth strips...
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:40 am

I would think you would want it to sink in the mud to lock it in place

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”