When a doe comes in first

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

uzi

Re: When a doe comes in first

Unread postby uzi » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:02 pm

Bowonly wrote:On multiple occasions I've shot does and had bucks come in to investigate the sound. Like they thought the crashing was a chase.

Ditto

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:24 pm

I haven't shot a doe with my bow in the last 10 years. Any non target deer can blow your hunt....like muddy and Dewey said youse place your bets and youse take your chances.

If a deer blows the hunt is not necessarily over, I don't like it and it doesn't help, but I've heard/seen does blowing at all kinds of stuff that had nothing to do with me.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:36 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:If a deer blows the hunt is not necessarily over, I don't like it and it doesn't help, but I've heard/seen does blowing at all kinds of stuff that had nothing to do with me.

That is truth. I've had does blow at other does, squirrels, branches falling, etc. During the rut a doe has blow out my area and 15 minutes later another doe can easily run by trailing a buck.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:08 pm

But man is that sound ANNOYING! :twisted:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:34 am

Yeah I realize a deer blowing isn't necessarily the end of a hunt, but I put 4-6 deer in the freezer a year. So once the guns come out it gives me a excuse to fill the freezer. I will end up shooting does eventually anyways so I try and take out the old annoying ones when I get the chance. I normally leave them alone till gun season though.
csb1780

Unread postby csb1780 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:57 am

I shot a doe during the rut once with a shotgun. Watched her run a little ways and fall. Then not even a minute later a 9 pointer came in right behind her and I shot him. Sometimes bucks get on a hot doe and they just get tunnel vision and lose a lot of caution they would have had otherwise. My dad also stood up in his tree stand to stretch one time and unknowingly spooked a doe. She blew and took off. Then right behind her came an eight pointer with his nose to the ground and dad shot him. These are both rut scenarios so I can't say as to my own experience outside of that time of season.
upwind predator
500 Club

Unread postby upwind predator » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:01 am

I believe during the rut sometimes a blowing doe could bring a buck in to investigate seein as a lady gave away her position, iv heard from others instances where that happend to them, iv had does blow at me and deer come thru later other times nothing comes thru after. I did witness in 2018 the day after thanksgiving, 10 minutes before shooting time a deer just start blowing and blowing and blowing off to the side and behind me about 100yds, my confusion set in cause she had not smelled at all, and then i noticed by sound the blowing was on the move then all the sudden i hear this deep grunt!! Sure enough a big buck was chasin her, they ended up runnin by my stand her blowin the whole time. Unfortunately it was still just not light enough to shoot. Its all situational
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:37 am

Just throw some young buck grunts after they make their commotion. A buck can come check it out pretty much any time of year if they are close by.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:21 am

Shoot the doe, put tarsal glands in a close by tree, remove the bladder intact and sprinkle urine up and down the trail she used and hunt next few days.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”