When a doe comes in first

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bobo

When a doe comes in first

Unread postby Bobo » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:00 pm

I'm curious, what do you guys do when your waiting on a buck, and a doe comes in first? Specifically, if they come in a way you aren't expecting and it's just a matter of time before they bust you :cry: They seem to always wanna find something to wig out over. I was thinking about this, has anyone ever shot one while she was pointed away from bedding and still had a buck come in? ;) I cld see that working if the cover was thick enough so no other deer seen her running away. I have had deer come in after a snort fest happened also, so maybe it's more mentally defeating on my part then what it actually is.

jmaas07
500 Club

Re: When a doe comes in first

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:43 pm

I havnt shot does that came in first, I just let it play out. Iv had them do nothing at all and keep going, wig out and nothing else has shown, wig out and bucks come in after..I just dont want to be shooting a doe and tracking, dragging in an area i might be back in again for a buck
Bowonly

Unread postby Bowonly » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:53 am

On multiple occasions I've shot does and had bucks come in to investigate the sound. Like they thought the crashing was a chase.
Take someone hunting or fishing.
raisins

Unread postby raisins » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:45 am

When ground hunting, I've gotten so frustrated that I've lobbed a stick in a strategic direction and got the doe spooked in an area away from me just enough to get her to move on without blowing. The does in question bedded near me while I was trying to move and had me pinned behind a tree for a long period of time. So, I threw a stick when their head was turned.

I am hesitant to recommend this, but it has worked.

I have heard of people using a slingshot with marbles to shoot behind bucks to scare them towards their stand (not sure on that either). But it makes me think that a slingshot could be used to shoot right behind a doe and make her run. When they are startled by something very near them that might be a mortal threat, they seem less likely to flag and snort because they are too worried about getting away with their lives.

I wonder if anyone here has done anything similar.
The_Real_Jmill

Unread postby The_Real_Jmill » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:48 am

All depends on the time of year for me.

Closer to the rut I (typically let them walk) outside of that I will let it rip if the shots right.

But it all depends, if I'm hunting for only a buck or have a targeted buck I am trying to get after I more than likely won't shoot at a doe especially if I'm hunting an area with a lot of buck activity ( I say more than likely cause sometimes the trigger finger gets a little itchy when a doe's broadside @ 15 yards :lol: )
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:59 am

If i have any intention of shooting a doe, I shoot it. Might never get another crack at one, and during the rut its free bait. Really really good bait. Worked well for me a few years back. Just stay in your tree if possible after shooting the doe and see what happens. Have seen plenty of deer after shooting one so I don't really think twice about sitting for awhile. Almost shot a doe after my buck this year, and had a buck walk up to me while gutting my buck a few years back (shot it a half hour prior and watched him fall).

Dead doe 50 yards away

Dead buck shot a half hour after the doe

Lots of venison for the year
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:46 am

Having non target animals do things you dont want them to do is part of the game. Is it infuriating and frustrating? Yup. Can only put yourself in a position where that hopefully doesn't happen all too often. When it does happen, bend over and listen to the wheezers.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:53 am

I agree with Muddy. It’s all part of it and doesn’t necessarily mean your hunt is over. I would never shoot a doe when I’m expecting a buck to come down a trail or out of a bedding area. I see guys do that all the time and then complain about not ever shooting big bucks. When I set up I have a plan to kill a buck and a doe never even comes into the equation except during the rut. Having a doe especially a hot doe go past undetected during the rut is the best bait you can ever have. Sure you could kill her and hope she dies quickly without messing the area up but why take that chance. If your just after meat by all means kill the doe and be happy about it but if your after a mature buck why take the chance. Let her go by and do her thing. Another deer leaving a calm scent relaxes other deer that follow them.

On another note just because a doe spots or winds you and starts snorting to alert other deer don’t give up on the hunt. I shot my second biggest buck in the scenario. The doe snorted like crazy for a long time and shortly after a big buck came in to investigate the doe making all the racket then got double lunged by my arrow. Rutting bucks get keyed in on any doe activity and it’s crazy how they react sometimes.

Another time I watched a huge very wide and bleached white rack floating above the cattails headed down a trail right past my stand. I watched in awe. As I readied for the shot I was already picturing the Booner up on my wall positive he would be a dead deer. What I didn’t see was a doe leading him completely concealed hidden down in the cattails. She saw me as I readied for a shot and that was all it took. She spun around the way she came dragging the buck of my dreams right out of my life. :doh:

I could go on and on about endless doe stories like this as anybody who has hunted a lot of years can.

So as you can see does can make or break a hunt. It’s all part of the game and you have to take the good with the bad. Just be aware of your surroundings and let everything play out and hopefully it works out in your favor.
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:35 am

I will normally let just about anything walk except for a decent buck when I am out buck hunting. When I go for meat any doe is fair game. The only exception is when I am around home and I got a rifle in my hand. If she blows she dies even if I have horns in front of me I will shoot the doe. The ones that meander off I let go. I always have a couple doe tags on me in Michigan. It is actually quite relaxing to just sit back and watch the deer do what they do.

I wouldn't have been able to shoot any of the bigger bucks I have shot be shooting the first doe or buck that walks by me. The bigger ones always seem to come out after everything else.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:16 pm

They make such a cute couple Jonny...
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:19 pm

muddy wrote:Having non target animals do things you dont want them to do is part of the game. Is it infuriating and frustrating? Yup. Can only put yourself in a position where that hopefully doesn't happen all too often. When it does happen, bend over and listen to the wheezers.

Sir Mud,
Can you expand upon this? How would you go about intentionally avoiding it?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:29 pm

I swear I have heard some does blow at overly horny bucks during the rut. They've definitely put the flag up and run off when the buck's behavior was the only negative stimulus in the area (wind was right for me, didn't get spotted). So maybe it isn't as big a deal as I also have thought in the past. I need to remind myself of this during the 2020 season.
----------
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:30 pm

greenhorndave wrote:
muddy wrote:Having non target animals do things you dont want them to do is part of the game. Is it infuriating and frustrating? Yup. Can only put yourself in a position where that hopefully doesn't happen all too often. When it does happen, bend over and listen to the wheezers.

Sir Mud,

Hunting according to normal principles like playing the wind, using pinch points effectively, using terrain features effectively. Using all of the above to keep as many deer as possible where they're not going to smell you and cause a ruckus. Finding "bomb proof" stands are hard, I've only ever had a couple, but they were sure nice!

I just sit back and let most hunts take their course. If deer come in and bust me not much I can do but remember that and try to adjust accordingly the next hunt.

Clear as mud?
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:35 pm

muddy wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

Sir Mud,

Hunting according to normal principles like playing the wind, using pinch points effectively, using terrain features effectively. Using all of the above to keep as many deer as possible where they're not going to smell you and cause a ruckus. Finding "bomb proof" stands are hard, I've only ever had a couple, but they were sure nice!

I just sit back and let most hunts take their course. If deer come in and bust me not much I can do but remember that and try to adjust accordingly the next hunt.

Clear as mud?

Yes, that's good, thanks. I did have a day like this last season, just-off wind blowing into a no-deer's-land of empty wet swamp grass. I had the hunt blown for another reason not of my making, but the deer exited bedding relaxed and nose-to-wind... And I was not in said wind.
----------
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:35 pm

greenhorndave wrote:They make such a cute couple Jonny...

Tasted even better 8-)
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”