Rub lines and spring scouting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ky mountain man

Rub lines and spring scouting

Unread postby Ky mountain man » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:53 pm

When you find a rub line while scouting in the spring what does that do for you and how do you relate that to the rut? Do you look for bedding or cover that is close?

Thanks

2 Corinthians 5:7 KJV

If that other team thinks their gon get us in that shed and ambush us thar gona find out why i’m Barred from 3 states and 2 county fairs.

-Huckleberry :D
Jdw
500 Club

Re: Rub lines and spring scouting

Unread postby Jdw » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:17 pm

I pay attention to tall rubs to let me know a good buck might still be in the area.

Rubs by them selves just tell me a hard antlered buck used the area at some point which doesn’t tell me much.

It’s easy to get focused on good looking sign that the buck will not get to in daylight.

I would look for bedding, travel routes, food, and does then you can start to get an idea what areas he might be using in daylight.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:30 pm

If the rubs not within 150 yards of buck bedding it doesn't mean much. If your not close your not in the game.

Signpost are very exciting to find but everytime I have ever sat one I've never seen a shooter buck near one in daylight.

My last 2 bucks had almost no sign at all nearby.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:37 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:If the rubs not within 150 yards of buck bedding it doesn't mean much. If your not close your not in the game.

Signpost are very exciting to find but everytime I have ever sat one I've never seen a shooter buck near one in daylight.

Did you hunt where you killed them based on where their beds were in relation to food? Just curious as to why you knew to hunt where you did, as I have had some properties that should have looked awesome(based off of aerials) when scouted and they had zero big buck sign so I never hunted them.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:00 am

If it’s a rub line I follow it to bedding which a lot of times is pretty easy. Then try to figure out when it was used. Defined rub lines are not real common where I hunt though. Single big rubs I check the closest possible bedding until I find something. I hunt mountains and hill country so am typically checking upper 1/3 brushy points for bedding.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:32 pm

brancher147 wrote:If it’s a rub line I follow it to bedding which a lot of times is pretty easy. Then try to figure out when it was used. Defined rub lines are not real common where I hunt though. Single big rubs I check the closest possible bedding until I find something. I hunt mountains and hill country so am typically checking upper 1/3 brushy points for bedding.

Same here. Finding rub lines that start no more than 100 yards from security cover and following them back to bedding. Recently I’ve started to focus more on rub clusters on the exterior of bedding. Once I locate that, I search the area for primary scrapes, funnels (ie deep cuts), food, or water, and an ambush point. Worked really well last year.
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:33 am

I always, always pay attention to larger than normal rubs. Those bigger deer don’t generally make rubs for no reason. I pay attention to them even if they are several years old. It means that area has the potential to grow a fully mature buck, once you know that you can begin to narrow down where he is likely to be cored up in order to survive.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:07 am

PK_ wrote:I always, always pay attention to larger than normal rubs. Those bigger deer don’t generally make rubs for no reason.

Spot on (for where I roam)
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:46 pm

PK_ wrote:I always, always pay attention to larger than normal rubs. Those bigger deer don’t generally make rubs for no reason. I pay attention to them even if they are several years old. It means that area has the potential to grow a fully mature buck, once you know that you can begin to narrow down where he is likely to be cored up in order to survive.

100 percent agree with this killers comment! Nail down likely core from there and then figuring out when he is there. Cameras can be great in helping with that. So can in season scouting though. Loop the area if you have it nailed down and do checks to see when sign nearby starts to open up.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:05 am

I always try and follow the rub lines to bedding, a lot of times you will find multiple rub lines all pointing to one bedding area if it is a good spot.
raisins

Unread postby raisins » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:15 am

I pay way more attention to clusters of large rubs in or near security cover. If they are fresh (not ancient and likely belonging to a dead buck), then you can usually get a buck on cam during the day in such areas.

I like it when my OnX point is labeled something like as "approximately 12 rubs in area" because marking individuals are of no use/pins would be on top of each other.

Also, multiple years of rubs gets my blood going (from super fresh to "is that a rub?"....where you can tell that multiple generations of bucks have used the same area).
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:33 am

This past season I found a lot of bedding areas, some you would never know they were back there, following rub lines. Sometimes the rub line was more spread out so it was easier in season to follow active trails to the bedding. I bumped several nice bucks this year doing that. Now I have a bunch of confirmed bedding areas to try to setup on for next season.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:22 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:If the rubs not within 150 yards of buck bedding it doesn't mean much. If your not close your not in the game.

X2

I will add bedding is more important rubs, rubs are just a bonus!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
OhioPublicLand

Unread postby OhioPublicLand » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:32 am

Look for rubs on trees that have multiple year calluses. If a rub has multiple year calluses, and on larger saplings, and some high tine marks; follow the rub line. Not every tree will have the multi year callus on that line. Pay close attention to thick areas when following for what I call a buck tunnel. A large buck will have a specific path through thick areas where his antlers fit. Best time to find this is when there is snow on the ground or tracks are visible so you can see him weaving around tight spaces. That is a great place if you can find a spot to ambush him since he will feel comfortable in such security cover.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:40 pm

PK_ wrote:I always, always pay attention to larger than normal rubs. Those bigger deer don’t generally make rubs for no reason. I pay attention to them even if they are several years old. It means that area has the potential to grow a fully mature buck, once you know that you can begin to narrow down where he is likely to be cored up in order to survive.

Spot on. I scout landscapes. The deer that live there are transient creatures. I feel like scouting individual deer I am always chasing my tail.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”