Ranch Ferry.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Re: Ranch Ferry.

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:11 am

The_Real_Jmill wrote:I do have a question for the high FOC/heavy arrow group just cause the gears are turning and I'm no expert.

Would it be more advantageous to run a higher FOC arrow that may weigh slightly less overall total arrow weight (8.5-9.5 GPI, total arrow weight 500-ish gr. 19% FOC), or a thicker walled (11+ GPI arrow, total arrow weight closer to 600gr. and 14-15% FOC).

Would sacrificing total overall arrow weight (light GPI arrows) to achieve higher FOC ( heavier insert/broad heads) inadvertently cause a less durable overall hunting shaft?

To keep TAW (total arrow weight) lower to try and achieve a higher FOC is a little tricky in the compound world but very feasible in the trad world. Structural integrity is number one on the list. If your broadhead and/or arrow is damaged upon impact you’re losing penetration. Also impact paradox factors in to penetration. You see less impact paradox with higher FOC arrows and with stiffer shafts with slightly lesser FOC. FOC is good but it’s not as important as structural integrity. I would keep shaft gpi’s under 10 unless I was hunting extremely large and dangerous game. In that case I would be looking to shoot 900+ grain arrows and a shaft that closely resembles the stiffness of rebar.

Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:33 pm

Bowhunting Brian wrote:Ha Haaaaaa. Love it. I really enjoy his YouTube channel. Thinking about changing my arrow set up now. Any of you guys watch his channel?

Yes.
Never heard of him till the HTP guys podcast. Like his stuff! Im am planning on changing my arrows this summer! I also got my self convinced to go with the EZ V bow sight as well his channel pushed me to do it, i have thought about since i seen DYI sportman start using it just put it in the back of my mind.
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:44 am

I got the EZ V Sight after watching DIY Sportsman's review. It is awesome. I can walk to any random spot in the yard and put the arrow right where I want it from an unknown distance. My accuracy has greatly improved as well, less side to side movement. All arrows are in line.
peteherbst

Unread postby peteherbst » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:46 am

MrT wrote:I got the EZ V Sight after watching DIY Sportsman's review. It is awesome. I can walk to any random spot in the yard and put the arrow right where I want it from an unknown distance. My accuracy has greatly improved as well, less side to side movement. All arrows are in line.

How does it do under 20 yards?
“You have to pay your dues”
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:54 am

peteherbst wrote:
MrT wrote:I got the EZ V Sight after watching DIY Sportsman's review. It is awesome. I can walk to any random spot in the yard and put the arrow right where I want it from an unknown distance. My accuracy has greatly improved as well, less side to side movement. All arrows are in line.

It works fine at less than 20 yards.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
peteherbst

Unread postby peteherbst » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:02 am

Huntress13 wrote:
peteherbst wrote:

Any different inserts needed? I know the top marks are for 20 yards, so under 20 you’d use?
“You have to pay your dues”
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:23 am

peteherbst wrote:
Huntress13 wrote:
peteherbst wrote:

Any different inserts needed? I know the top marks are for 20 yards, so under 20 you’d use?

You just fill the left and right of the V with the vitals. It isn't necessary to use the tick marks at all, but if you do, you just put the 20 yard tick marks a little low. Just like you would adjust for it with a pin sight. You wouldn't use a different insert unless you changed your bow speed, (new bow, heavier or lighter arrow, adjusted draw weight drastically, etc.)
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:34 am

Got my test kit field points in the mail yesterday, gonna give this a season and see how it plays out.
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:41 pm

Huntress13 wrote:
peteherbst wrote:
Huntress13 wrote:
peteherbst wrote:

You just fill the left and right of the V with the vitals. It isn't necessary to use the tick marks at all, but if you do, you just put the 20 yard tick marks a little low. Just like you would adjust for it with a pin sight. You wouldn't use a different insert unless you changed your bow speed, (new bow, heavier or lighter arrow, adjusted draw weight drastically, etc.)

Like she said. You just center up the vitals where they fit within the V. I watched a lot of videos of the EZ V before taking the plunge and its hard to believe until you experience it for yourself.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:05 am

MrT wrote:
Huntress13 wrote:
peteherbst wrote:
Huntress13 wrote:
peteherbst wrote:

Like she said. You just center up the vitals where they fit within the V. I watched a lot of videos of the EZ V before taking the plunge and its hard to believe until you experience it for yourself.

How effective is the sight in low light?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:40 am

greenhorndave wrote:
MrT wrote:
Huntress13 wrote:
peteherbst wrote:
Huntress13 wrote:
peteherbst wrote:

How effective is the sight in low light?

The V is quite bright and easier to see than pins in waning light. My limiting factor is more the target itself. But my eyes have always been wonky. Thats why the V is so much better for me than pins. Anyway, there is also an illumination kit you can buy for night hunting. But even without that, Ranch Fairy was shooting pigs at night with it before they came out with the kit.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:43 am

In my brief experience from using the ezv last year...imo it’s the best sight I’ve used so far. Target acquisition, low light and ease of use.
The learning curve is what turns people off but if you can get through that, it’s money.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:18 am

Awesome. Thanks matt and H13. I find the concept intriguing.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:52 am

matt1336 wrote:In my brief experience from using the ezv last year...imo it’s the best sight I’ve used so far. Target acquisition, low light and ease of use.
The learning curve is what turns people off but if you can get through that, it’s money.

Do you use the hash marks or just the V? It's an intriguing concept, I'm happy with my current sight, but am kind of interested.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:47 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
matt1336 wrote:In my brief experience from using the ezv last year...imo it’s the best sight I’ve used so far. Target acquisition, low light and ease of use.

Do you use the hash marks or just the V? It's an intriguing concept, I'm happy with my current sight, but am kind of interested.

I’m learning to use the v. My best answer to your question would be both at this time. I should be 100% v by hunting season. My problem is that I don’t have a 3D target to get use to the v with.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”