September Scrapes

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

funderburk
500 Club

September Scrapes

Unread postby funderburk » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:24 am

What has been your experience with scrapes in September? If you’ve found many active scrapes during this time, what factors do you think contributed to it being active so early?

“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: September Scrapes

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:01 am

funderburk wrote:What has been your experience with scrapes in September? If you’ve found many active scrapes during this time, what factors do you think contributed to it being active so early?

IMO Sept scrapes are typically made by mature animals near their core areas. So while i may or may not hunt them, they definitely clue you in on their pre-rut core areas. However, I think those scrapes tend to be a total waste of time to hunt for the most part after mid oct as the primary scrapes will be closer to doe bedding/travel IME. However, in southern areas, keep them in mind because once the bucks get done breeding they will often return to these core areas. in the North, most have totally different core areas during winter after the rut.
may21581
500 Club

Re: September Scrapes

Unread postby may21581 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:07 am

DaveT1963 wrote:
funderburk wrote:What has been your experience with scrapes in September? If you’ve found many active scrapes during this time, what factors do you think contributed to it being active so early?

IMO Sept scrapes are typically made by mature animals near their core areas. So while i may or may not hunt them, they definitely clue you in on their pre-rut core areas. However, I think those scrapes tend to be a total waste of time to hunt for the most part after mid oct as the primary scrapes will be closer to doe bedding/travel IME. However, in southern areas, keep them in mind because once the bucks get done breeding they will often return to these core areas. in the North, most have totally different core areas during winter after the rut.

Agree 100 percent. They scrape early in their early core areas and still on that feed pattern. A scrape in early season that is fresh needs to be hunted asap.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”