Early Season Big Woods Hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

may21581
500 Club

Re: Early Season Big Woods Hunting

Unread postby may21581 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:36 am

DaveT1963 wrote:Its not just big woods IME - anywhere where the deer have vast amounts of cover and are feeding primarily on natural browse makes finding them far more difficult. And it is never over as food patterns in the woods change a lot more frequently then they do in ag country. IME deer in vast areas have much larger home ranges and more core areas than the deer I hunt in Ag country.

Yeah Dave I have to agree with what you said. This is why finding those well worn beds in hill country are not as common as well. They have some pretty decent home ranges with natural food sources changing fast. Their constantly shifting around and moving.
I remember dan posting a thought on his year how he likes to hunt it geographically by the time of the year. Please correct me if I'm wrong but did he say he likes early season in the swamps, prerut rut in the hills, late season on the ag?
I hunt alot of big hills and rough terrain and i have found when hunting this terrain during the rut it can pay big dividends. Taking advantage of the wind tunnels and thermals here can be more predictable and you know big bucks are cruising. So find the does and find some beds and your in the game.
The terrain that these guys are talking about such as 50-100 thousand acres is massive. I think a spot like this I would be getting a rut plan together and busting the place up based on topos and features. How would one go about getting within 100 yards of a bed in a parcel that size without knowing where they bed?
I'm not sure how I would tackle this in early season without good intel, known food sources, or past history. I've gotten used to scouting hard in the off season walking an area down and learning as much as I can and glassing. Frankly I just dont know any other way now. To me taking an area that big and going in on the opener without something to go off would be like throwing a dart blind folded.
So I ask this question to the group. If you were in these fellas positions how and when would you go about it? And a brief description of why. Thanks

"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
AppalachianArcher

Unread postby AppalachianArcher » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:59 am

may21581 wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:Its not just big woods IME - anywhere where the deer have vast amounts of cover and are feeding primarily on natural browse makes finding them far more difficult. And it is never over as food patterns in the woods change a lot more frequently then they do in ag country. IME deer in vast areas have much larger home ranges and more core areas than the deer I hunt in Ag country.

Yeah Dave I have to agree with what you said. This is why finding those well worn beds in hill country are not as common as well. They have some pretty decent home ranges with natural food sources changing fast. Their constantly shifting around and moving.
I remember dan posting a thought on his year how he likes to hunt it geographically by the time of the year. Please correct me if I'm wrong but did he say he likes early season in the swamps, prerut rut in the hills, late season on the ag?
I hunt alot of big hills and rough terrain and i have found when hunting this terrain during the rut it can pay big dividends. Taking advantage of the wind tunnels and thermals here can be more predictable and you know big bucks are cruising. So find the does and find some beds and your in the game.
The terrain that these guys are talking about such as 50-100 thousand acres is massive. I think a spot like this I would be getting a rut plan together and busting the place up based on topos and features. How would one go about getting within 100 yards of a bed in a parcel that size without knowing where they bed?
I'm not sure how I would tackle this in early season without good intel, known food sources, or past history. I've gotten used to scouting hard in the off season walking an area down and learning as much as I can and glassing. Frankly I just dont know any other way now. To me taking an area that big and going in on the opener without something to go off would be like throwing a dart blind folded.
So I ask this question to the group. If you were in these fellas positions how and when would you go about it? And a brief description of why. Thanks

I would start by looking at maps, narrowing down to a couple hundred acres, and just scout/hunt that depending on sign found. If you're not finding/seeing what you want in that couple hundred acres, then move to another couple hundred acres and repeat. Looking at maps and trying to find a spot on a large tract is difficult and often overwhelming. I think by narrowing it down to a more manageable size, you will learn more in a quicker amount of time instead of bouncing all over the large tract.

As for early season, I too could use some help. It seems that here in GA these deer move around so much that you can't keep up with them. I did some late summer scouting last year and had located some decent bucks, but they were never consistent. I did notice that the deer were staying in the cutover that had clusters of 6-7 year old pine in it. The trouble was accessing without making so much noise because it's just so thick. I tried hunting hot feed trees with a little success but no big bucks though.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:54 am

About the only way I know to get it done in early season is to find a prime food source that hasn't been pressured and disturbed and cross your fingers he sticks to it. Here in ohio our opener is september 28th so the window if any at all is very small. I was successful this year with pulling it off but i got so darn excited i had actually pulled it off i rushed the shot and made a poor hit which led to no recovery.
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:45 am

Okay I will give you my experience for the big woods of the Great Lakes area. First thing to remember, in the State Of MI, you are dealing with baiting, and wolves, and a Sept youth gun season. To be honest, not much of an affect on where I hunt. When you start on the big woods, I always, had my maps, and more important I have stereoscopic maps, used by planners. More detail, with a magnifier you can view the map 3D. I learned their value, by the engineers, that I worked with, in the city I worked for. I know today you have, Google Earth, and HuntOnx etc, but this is what worked for me. Aerial maps do work, give out some more information, but if you could get an aerial at the same scale of a topo..... That can get a little extreme, but I know a guy who used that system. I try not to let it get too complicated, and just put boots on the ground, but I do not want to waste a lot of time, that I do not want to cover ground, that has little deer for me to hunt,,,,,,,,

So where do you start, and I suggest you take a yellow marker, and follow all the drainages on the map of your area. The drainage system, of major rivers, small creeks, and feeder creeks, is a road map in how deer travel. In early season, and well into freeze up come November, this area, feeds, and harbors the deer with all their needs. Especially early season, the deer wander this system, because of all the various plant life etc that is accessible for them, to eat, at the same time, give them good cover needed for survival.

A good source to talk to are local trappers. As long as they know, your not hoarding in on their territory, I found them to be a wealth of information, on deer movement. Of course, where I am, their is still a sufficient amount of trappers to do so, and many are govt trappers part time, so they are willing with info.

My summer is filled with brook trout fishing. I find a lot of deep, yearly trails this way which I mark, as I find them. /coming back to them in spring, and post season, walking and back tracking deer, if they are using the area.

I do not know what it is with bowhunters, but you will find very few hunting water. But its a great ticket to the show, in the big woods. We could talk a whole post, on equipment used, in water hunting, tricks and tips, but for the sake of being too long winded, I thought I would just start a post out, on what I would look for, as you tackle, Big Woods, and start in the early season.
jbone23

Unread postby jbone23 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:41 am

I would focus on thick cover close to oaks key on the ones with most/best sign. If you can take a couple of days off for season opener and take a full scouting day or two so that you can be in a tree morning of opener. I hunt AL and LA basically same terrrain you are. Haven't taken one in early season but best encounters that time have been dropping oaks close to clear cuts/thick stuff or multiple terrain convergence by oaks. Definetly have noticed best time in mornings from stand and game cameras just get in really early. 1st week of season your best chance. I don't look for beds but early season scrapes def something to key in on. Decipher sign from there if you find one your in the money figure out if you should setup on that or oaks close by.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:24 am

I think "monotonous" terrain is the toughest thing to hunt no matter what species your hunting! Add if it's in large tracts, the toughness multiplies. Hard transitions are rare, and even none Beast hunters gravitate toward the ones that do exist. Good luck finding soft transitions on GE in most cases. I like tundra's thought on keying on water ways, but areas interlaced with numerous feeder streams and creeks. May not fit in my definition of monotonous. But yes all animals relate part of their travels to the drainage system of the area. So if they do exist, they are a great place to start a boots on the ground search. And if you think about it. Small water ways are often a soft transition.

I don't have an easy answer. It just takes alot of boots on the ground time. Often over many years. Add in seasonal changes, year to year changes in weather and food source production. The areas herd mentality, how the herd reacts to the above changes. It may differ with herds only 10 miles or so apart. And each deer's/buck's own personality and preferences. Finding huntable patterns can be tough, especially early season.

Anyone consistently killing good bucks each year in monotonous terrain. Deserves a pat on the back. If your getting it done early season, even just once in awhile. Your a legend.

So maybe the real answer to the OP's question is! Your already doing an incredible job. Go hunt somewhere else early season. Travel to another state or head west to try out hunts for other species.

On a side note. I believe this video shows terrain similar to what the OP is talking about, but on a smaller scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-xF-qte-VU
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
KRoss480

Unread postby KRoss480 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:26 am

stash59 wrote:I think "monotonous" terrain is the toughest thing to hunt no matter what species your hunting! Add if it's in large tracts, the toughness multiplies. Hard transitions are rare, and even none Beast hunters gravitate toward the ones that do exist. Good luck finding soft transitions on GE in most cases. I like tundra's thought on keying on water ways, but areas interlaced with numerous feeder streams and creeks. May not fit in my definition of monotonous. But yes all animals relate part of their travels to the drainage system of the area. So if they do exist, they are a great place to start a boots on the ground search. And if you think about it. Small water ways are often a soft transition.

I don't have an easy answer. It just takes alot of boots on the ground time. Often over many years. Add in seasonal changes, year to year changes in weather and food source production. The areas herd mentality, how the herd reacts to the above changes. It may differ with herds only 10 miles or so apart. And each deer's/buck's own personality and preferences. Finding huntable patterns can be tough, especially early season.

Anyone consistently killing good bucks each year in monotonous terrain. Deserves a pat on the back. If your getting it done early season, even just once in awhile. Your a legend.

So maybe the real answer to the OP's question is! Your already doing an incredible job. Go hunt somewhere else early season. Travel to another state or head west to try out hunts for other species.

On a side note. I believe this video shows terrain similar to what the OP is talking about, but on a smaller scale.

I’ve definitely taken everyone’s input and tried to implement it into my situation. I know there’s no one size fits all approach, just seeing if there were any ideas that I may have not thought of. I agree with you on tundras thinking, I’ve seen where deer will use small ditches to travel/feed along side of. But I’ve also seen deer in this area cross 10 feet deep ditches that are full of water like it’s no big deal :lol:

I’ve started to make an out of state trip to kind of break up that time of year and that definitely helps!
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
KRoss480

Unread postby KRoss480 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:32 am

jbone23 wrote:I would focus on thick cover close to oaks key on the ones with most/best sign. If you can take a couple of days off for season opener and take a full scouting day or two so that you can be in a tree morning of opener. I hunt AL and LA basically same terrrain you are. Haven't taken one in early season but best encounters that time have been dropping oaks close to clear cuts/thick stuff or multiple terrain convergence by oaks. Definetly have noticed best time in mornings from stand and game cameras just get in really early. 1st week of season your best chance. I don't look for beds but early season scrapes def something to key in on. Decipher sign from there if you find one your in the money figure out if you should setup on that or oaks close by.

If you found hot sign under oaks would you still hunt it in the morning? It’s always been my understanding to hunt a food source in the afternoon early season like that.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:57 am

KRoss480 wrote:
stash59 wrote:I think "monotonous" terrain is the toughest thing to hunt no matter what species your hunting! Add if it's in large tracts, the toughness multiplies. Hard transitions are rare, and even none Beast hunters gravitate toward the ones that do exist. Good luck finding soft transitions on GE in most cases. I like tundra's thought on keying on water ways, but areas interlaced with numerous feeder streams and creeks. May not fit in my definition of monotonous. But yes all animals relate part of their travels to the drainage system of the area. So if they do exist, they are a great place to start a boots on the ground search. And if you think about it. Small water ways are often a soft transition.

I’ve definitely taken everyone’s input and tried to implement it into my situation. I know there’s no one size fits all approach, just seeing if there were any ideas that I may have not thought of. I agree with you on tundras thinking, I’ve seen where deer will use small ditches to travel/feed along side of. But I’ve also seen deer in this area cross 10 feet deep ditches that are full of water like it’s no big deal :lol:

I’ve started to make an out of state trip to kind of break up that time of year and that definitely helps!

With the water I think the key is "water ways". Although all bodies of water attract animals of all sorts. Or if deep enough can funnel normal travel. Flowing water seems to get more attention as far as being used as a travel corridor/route. Maybe because even in flat terrain. The water is flowing there because that is where the terrain funnels it. Could these slight changes/differences in terrain also influence how animals travel the area.

Another thing is there is more of a chance to get changes in vegetation along flowing water. If a bend is positioned the right direction more sunlight can reach nearby dry ground. Flooding can uproot anything from grass to large trees. Again opening up an area to more sunlight. Thus you end up with a greater variety of browse the deer can use.

As far as my earlier post. I'm not saying totally give up on trying to figure your area out for early season. Just don't ever expect to get the same results as many other terrains. And if you do figure it out. You can teach the rest of us how to try to do it.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
KRoss480

Unread postby KRoss480 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:20 pm

stash59 wrote:
KRoss480 wrote:

With the water I think the key is "water ways". Although all bodies of water attract animals of all sorts. Or if deep enough can funnel normal travel. Flowing water seems to get more attention as far as being used as a travel corridor/route. Maybe because even in flat terrain. The water is flowing there because that is where the terrain funnels it. Could these slight changes/differences in terrain also influence how animals travel the area.

Another thing is there is more of a chance to get changes in vegetation along flowing water. If a bend is positioned the right direction more sunlight can reach nearby dry ground. Flooding can uproot anything from grass to large trees. Again opening up an area to more sunlight. Thus you end up with a greater variety of browse the deer can use.

As far as my earlier post. I'm not saying totally give up on trying to figure your area out for early season. Just don't ever expect to get the same results as many other terrains. And if you do figure it out. You can teach the rest of us how to try to do it.

Couldn’t agree more with you. I’ve hunted spots where I could funnel deer into an area cause of flowing water knowing they wouldn’t cross it. A lot of these areas I’m mentioning just hold water in general most the year. Could be ankle deep, could be chest deep all depends. We’ve killed deer with chipped and broken off hooves due to being in water so much throughout the year.
jbone23

Unread postby jbone23 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:10 pm

KRoss480 wrote:
jbone23 wrote:I would focus on thick cover close to oaks key on the ones with most/best sign. If you can take a couple of days off for season opener and take a full scouting day or two so that you can be in a tree morning of opener. I hunt AL and LA basically same terrrain you are. Haven't taken one in early season but best encounters that time have been dropping oaks close to clear cuts/thick stuff or multiple terrain convergence by oaks. Definetly have noticed best time in mornings from stand and game cameras just get in really early. 1st week of season your best chance. I don't look for beds but early season scrapes def something to key in on. Decipher sign from there if you find one your in the money figure out if you should setup on that or oaks close by.

If you found hot sign under oaks would you still hunt it in the morning? It’s always been my understanding to hunt a food source in the afternoon early season like that.

Yes. About 95% of all my early season buck encounters have been morning early season around oaks close to thick cover
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:38 pm

jbone23 wrote:Yes. About 95% of all my early season buck encounters have been morning early season around oaks close to thick cover

I think that first week of the season (depending on the dates your state opens) you can still catch them moving in the morning. I have seen a lot of average hunters stumble into some good bucks opening weekend and into that first week.
jbone23

Unread postby jbone23 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:24 pm

headgear wrote:
jbone23 wrote:Yes. About 95% of all my early season buck encounters have been morning early season around oaks close to thick cover

I think that first week of the season (depending on the dates your state opens) you can still catch them moving in the morning. I have seen a lot of average hunters stumble into some good bucks opening weekend and into that first week.

First week of the season highest odds. But still hunt mornings all early season. I don't think the no hunting in the morning early season applies to the southeast. AL opens Oct. 15. So not on summer pattern or anything but still in bachelor groups.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:47 am

jbone23 wrote:
First week of the season highest odds. But still hunt mornings all early season. I don't think the no hunting in the morning early season applies to the southeast. AL opens Oct. 15. So not on summer pattern or anything but still in bachelor groups.

I think you are right, some other southern guys have said the same thing, good morning movement most of the season. We don't get that way up north, just that first week and then things get really slow until closer to the rut. Not that it can't happen just you just have to play the odds when you have a job and fam that taking up the bulk of your time.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:39 am

Are you hunting mornings based on observations and glassing for the opener? Or are trailcams giving you this intel?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”