Help with rubs and potential setup

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

naternate

Help with rubs and potential setup

Unread postby naternate » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:12 pm

So I did some scouting of a piece of public about 3 weeks ago that I had not been in before. After a few hours of scouting I decided to head back to the truck. I followed a long sloping ridge out towards a powerline that led to a cornfield where my truck was parked. I crossed the powerline and as I was about to turn to follow it down, I noticed a rub. I walked over to the rub and my eyes about bugged out at the size and number of rubs in a very small area. The rubs were clustered in a thick brushy area that looked to be recently trimmed back by the powerline people. Not sure when this was done but definitely not in the last few weeks. Pics of the rubs
ImageImageImage

I contemplated whether these rubs were something the tree guys did with a chainsaw because I have never seen these types of markings on rubs before. There are some older rubs from previous years and one of the rubs had marks on a tree about 8 inches behind so I think they are legit, opinions would be appreciated. I started circling out from the rubs to try to find a bed but didn't find anything new, anything old would be under snow. I do think this could be a primary bedding area for a mature buck though. The rubs are in a pocket of dense brush at the edge of the powerline that drops off very steeply into open timber to the south towards the road. Road is about 250 yrds to the south. The powerline is brushy, runs E/W and slopes away from the rubs fairly steep as well. To the north is the timber ridge that I walked down. Pics of the area

First pic shows the rubs and surrounding area. The second pick shows the ridge I walked in on in blue and the red is a parking spot on the road that people use to access with a trail leading into the timber. I didn't see evidence of people walking up the steep hill to the rubs. The parking spot and trail are easily seen from where a buck might bed in the brush and it crosses the powerlines about 200 yrds away at the base of the hill. I picture a buck bedded there watching the open timber and where hunters access this property. North component wind would be blowing from behind the deer.

This property was private until fall 2018 when it was sold to the state so not sure that what kind of pressure it has seen in the past but this is heavily pressured public in Michigan so I am sure the area was hunted. How would you guys go about determining if a buck might be bedded there during another time of year and how would you approach hunting it? Thinking about going in there after greenup to check if I can find find a bed/beds.

Drenalin
500 Club

Re: Help with rubs and potential setup

Unread postby Drenalin » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:12 am

I 2018, I found an area adjacent to a hard transition line that was absolutely torn up with fresh rubs. This was in early October, so in-season. I sat that area three times over the course of about 7 weeks and never saw a deer, let alone a buck. After the third sit, I didn't go back and assumed all that sign must have been laid down at night. Me hunting it those handful of times didn't help matters either.

I don't put out any cameras, but wish I had some then to see whether there was a buck working that area during daylight or not. I also should have checked the surrounding area for bedding a few times through the year...I had only scouted potential bedding during the previous summer in that area. I wouldn't hunt over the rubs themselves again, that's for sure.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:06 am

I believe your thoughts on this location sound about right with the buck watching access. I would think he beds there and watches access while monitoring the does. I'm thinking prerut octoberish time when he is around and into rut.perhaps. check the whole area out and figure out where doe bedding is and try to connect the dots.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
naternate

Unread postby naternate » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:02 am

I have a couple cameras so I have thought about placing one back in the woods 100-200yrds on the ridge that leads to the rubs. Can approach from way around to avoid the potential bed. The other thought was after greenup to stalk up the powerline and see if I can bump the buck up out of his bed. Camera would be lower impact but require multiple trips. Bumping him out would be the only time I would be in there until potentially hunting it. Depending on what is planted In the nearby crop field I may be able to shine over the summer to confirm a mature buck in the area and then just hunt the potential bed without confirming. Not exactly sure at this point

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”