Path to Success

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NorthStar
500 Club

Path to Success

Unread postby NorthStar » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:27 am

I am hoping some of the seasoned members can help us new guys based on their experiences and looking back at their own development. I know success comes in many forms depending on where everyone is at and I don’t want to generalize this topic by any means so I will keep my question simple. For those of us who are just starting out Beast style hunting and assuming our goal is to ultimately shoot a mature buck, would one progress faster by not passing on younger deer and taking these deer when the opportunity presents itself or is there more to be learned by passing on younger deer and holding out for that mature buck?

Its probably a loaded question with many factors to consider but I hope this at least gets the discussion going. Thanks!

“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Kraftd
500 Club

Re: Path to Success

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:23 am

Totally depends, imo. If you're a guy who has killed a lot of deer, and has just never put the time in or specifically target mature bucks, I think passing young bucks and does from the get go and really targeting finding where the good bucks for your area are and going after them works fine.

If you're a new hunter or have not had a lot of success, there is a lot to be said for killing deer first to learn how to do that. Caveat may be if you're hunting better than average land that actually holds good numbers of good bucks. Then passing some deer may be feasible. Trying to go straight to "beast-style" hunting without having developed deer-killing skills makes the leap even harder, imo.

That all said, if killing big bucks is what is going to drive you, then pass away. It just may take a little longer to get it to all come together.
jkelley1487

Unread postby jkelley1487 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:33 am

I'm not a veteran but shoot what makes your heart thump. It's really easy to put too much pressure on yourself and make it stressful. You go a few years of not shooting anything and it will become a grind imo.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:55 am

IMO passing other deer will give you an edge at killing a mature buck unless you choke or don’t make it count when it’s time to close the deal.
Working your way up from smaller to bigger and older bucks seems to work well.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:12 am

I would say that a progression from smaller to bigger is a good way to go. Get some kills under your belt and just try to keep shooting bigger and bigger ones. There are a lot of important lessons to be learned by gaining the experience of shooting deer. When you have that experience it helps to you from falling to pieces and making bad decisions when the moment of truth presents itself.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:28 am

If you are new to deer hunting. You need to kill any deer (some rare people can be exceptions).

If you have been deer hunting and are new to mature buck hunting, you need to kill mature bucks.

‘I kill big bucks, because I kill big bucks’ -Stanley. (RIP)

But if your only and ultimate goal is to kill mature buck, then you have to pass young bucks. Although that is not my recommendation for a newer hunter.

This whole mature deer thing is overrated, honestly imo. Go kill deer and learn to really cook them because they are all incredibly tasty and most of my best memories are not the biggest bucks.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:34 pm

This is where you start to figure out what kind of a hunter you are. You need to kill to get better and to get rid of the buck fever and jitters but you need to hold out to shoot a good one. My way when I started out was I shot a bunch of does and hunted bucks. I started out shooting smaller ones then progressively shot bigger ones. I think this is normal for alot of buck hunters but to each their own. Do what brings you joy and you will find success. Got to crawl before you walk! No quick fix, just a bunch of gut piles.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:52 am

Agreed with everyone above, chase what makes you happy and who cares what folks think. You won’t know what makes you happy until you’ve tried it.

Try it all, find your “style” and enjoy the ride.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:01 am

Twenty Up wrote:Agreed with everyone above, chase what makes you happy and who cares what folks think. You won’t know what makes you happy until you’ve tried it.

I am actually perfectly happy with shooting younger deer and passing on younger deer. I guess my question was more about which one of these styles teaches you more about how to kill mature deer. I know the opinions will range but I am fascinated with peoples responses.

I am assuming that trying to shoot younger deer will teach you about how not to get busted, when to shoot, etc., while passing on young deer could lead to more opportunities for mature buck encounters?
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:40 am

NorthStar wrote:
Twenty Up wrote:Agreed with everyone above, chase what makes you happy and who cares what folks think. You won’t know what makes you happy until you’ve tried it.

I am actually perfectly happy with shooting younger deer and passing on younger deer. I guess my question was more about which one of these styles teaches you more about how to kill mature deer. I know the opinions will range but I am fascinated with peoples responses.

I am assuming that trying to shoot younger deer will teach you about how not to get busted, when to shoot, etc., while passing on young deer could lead to more opportunities for mature buck encounters?

The only difference between shooting younger bucks and older bucks is finding them and holding out on others till he crosses your path. Most people who dont shoot older bucks aren't where older bucks are. This is where time and experience comes in. My arrow doesnt know the difference between a yearling buck and a four year old buck. So the only difference between a newer hunter and an experienced hunter is being able to locate the mature bucks and having the patience to let others walk. It takes time to know what to look for and what your looking at. This is where this hunting site and the great group of guys on here can help speed things up for you. Ask questions, where some boots out, and make some gut piles.
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:02 am

You will only get better at killing by actually killing, and doing it consistently. A brand new archery hunter needs to learn how to kill an animal with a bow. When to draw, when to wait for the right angle, what to do when a deer is alert, when to stop a deer, when to not stop a deer, etc, etc, etc. A vertical bow is not a gun or even a crossbow, it requires controlling your emotions and keeping your cool enough to make a killing shot. This (for most of us) can only be learned from experience. It makes zero sense to me for a brand newbie to wait and wait for a mature buck to finally walk by and then expect to keep your composure enough to close the deal.

Now for hunters that are only new to Beast Mode-ing it, but they already have some kills under their belt, then passing up does and small bucks is up to the hunter. I’m a fan of killing several does a year personally to keep the killing edge sharp, and keeping things fun. But I’m at the point where I’m not interested in a small buck; if that does it for somebody else, then I say have at it.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:22 pm

NorthStar wrote:

Correct, younger deer are more forgiving and easier for a newer bowhunter to hunt. They haven’t been conditioned to look up into the trees yet, strange noises don’t alert them as badly... Not to mention younger deer generally speaking have no or smaller horns.

Persistence is the first style that I think we could all use a little more of. In particular with scouting. What helps me is knowing that I do not “need” to hang a treestand that evening. I’ll gladly walk until I find the fresh sign that my gut says “STOP”. If I find no quality sign that I feel will produce what I’m seeking, I’ll keep walking and scouting. Might stop and watch the sunset in peace and make my way home.

Keep at it, embrace the failures and lessons they bring.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:36 pm

If you are in a 1 buck state, and you wanna kill a mature buck.....how's that gunna happen when you punch your tag on a young buck?

I'd agree...if you are a newer hunter or don't have experience shooting deer, shooting deer and learning to kill them regardless of what they are is an asset. I used to about come unglued when I'd see a deer period.

For some guys, just shooting deer is a challenge in itself. Especially with a bow. Low deer density, not a lot of time to commit to hunting etc etc.

Put a big rack in front of a new hunter and chances are much higher they'll choke. Heck, I've killed probably 40-50 deer now and I know I still get tunnel vision bad when I see a big rack. I whiffed on a monster at 6-7 yards this season due to my seat cushion getting stuck in the stand. I had him within 20yds for probably 2-3 minutes. I can't tell you a single thing about his rack aside from it was huge. Big wide heavy sweeping beans. They looked so big they looked stupid. Points? Point length? No idea. Small bucks I can tell you every little detail.

And yes.....shoot whatever the heck makes you happy. It's a personal thing. And this forum in particular, I've NEVER seen a guy post a small buck and catch any sort of flack for it. Can't say that for other places.

As you progress as a hunter, passing deer IMO gets easier. I still have a hard time passing 80-100" 2.5yos. I've killed several now. Killed one this year. In the late season, I got myself on a few more....so next year, I'm going to try harder to let those bucks walk till atleast the late season.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:37 am

mauser06 wrote:If you are in a 1 buck state, and you wanna kill a mature buck.....how's that gunna happen when you punch your tag on a young buck?

I'd agree...if you are a newer hunter or don't have experience shooting deer, shooting deer and learning to kill them regardless of what they are is an asset. I used to about come unglued when I'd see a deer period.

For some guys, just shooting deer is a challenge in itself. Especially with a bow. Low deer density, not a lot of time to commit to hunting etc etc.

Put a big rack in front of a new hunter and chances are much higher they'll choke. Heck, I've killed probably 40-50 deer now and I know I still get tunnel vision bad when I see a big rack. I whiffed on a monster at 6-7 yards this season due to my seat cushion getting stuck in the stand. I had him within 20yds for probably 2-3 minutes. I can't tell you a single thing about his rack aside from it was huge. Big wide heavy sweeping beans. They looked so big they looked stupid. Points? Point length? No idea. Small bucks I can tell you every little detail.

And yes.....shoot whatever the heck makes you happy. It's a personal thing. And this forum in particular, I've NEVER seen a guy post a small buck and catch any sort of flack for it. Can't say that for other places.

As you progress as a hunter, passing deer IMO gets easier. I still have a hard time passing 80-100" 2.5yos. I've killed several now. Killed one this year. In the late season, I got myself on a few more....so next year, I'm going to try harder to let those bucks walk till atleast the late season.

I agree with you here, first and foremost have fun. The day it becomes a job and you find yourself chasing unrealistic dreams it sucks and you wanna sell your bow. I can proudly say I still muff a shot from time to time. I live for the chase and I find getting close to bucks and on target trips my trigger. If I can seal the deal is what it boils down to.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”