FLIR Black Hornet 3/Drones/Thermals

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

buttonbuck
500 Club

FLIR Black Hornet 3/Drones/Thermals

Unread postby buttonbuck » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:32 am

What do y'all think about drones and thermals. This video shows the future of military drones that will inevitably hit the civilian market. Thermal optics, gps landing zones and about a 25 min battery. I used models a bit bigger than this in the military.

I do plan on getting thermal binoculars or a monocular before next season to aid in entering deer dense areas especially at night. I really love getting into that “arena” with the deer all around.

The way I see it is that any technology could be considered “cheating” by some. I definitely think cellular trail cameras marks a line in the sand where we have accepted that its okay for us to remotely and wirelessly communicate with our hunting equipment. I do feel though that if drones are legal there would be a horrible swarm of em some days on public and its an absurd advantage. Sort of like shooting a deer from 1000 yards.

Do you think there will ever be a “high tech tag” handed out. Maybe when we are hunting with laser and rail weapons.

Unit
https://youtu.be/rm_xMuo2Ong

Multiple Vehicle applications
https://youtu.be/ygAAU0oraFY

crankn101
500 Club

Re: FLIR Black Hornet 3/Drones/Thermals

Unread postby crankn101 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:33 am

Im looking into NODs for ARs but I dont know enough about them and the cost can be pretty darn high.
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:29 am

In most places it is illegal to have any kind of thermal or night vision on you deer hunting. Better check your local regulations close.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:41 am

Drones for hunting use are illegal in many states as well. I agree.....better check the regulations closely.
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:12 am

Dewey wrote:Drones for hunting use are illegal in many states as well. I agree.....better check the regulations closely.

Yeah I figured. Here in SC Ive seen zero regs on thermals or drones. I keep a copy of the regs next to my bed, its my bible. My DNR buddy said they busted a guy poaching last year who had a suppressed .308 air rifle with a thermal scope.
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:35 pm

crankn101 wrote:Im looking into NODs for ARs but I dont know enough about them and the cost can be pretty darn high.

https://youtu.be/7hYJ9BRIvdU

Also when looking keep battery life and field of view in mind. Im going with thermals cause I see well enough to traverse at night but not well enough to see deer.
Using thermals to traverse is much harder than IR

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”