Hill country primary bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

WIpubhunter 87

Hill country primary bedding

Unread postby WIpubhunter 87 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:27 am

Hey guys,
Just wondering if all you hill country experts can answer a couple questions for me. Do you find that hill country bedding in general stays the same throughout the entire 4 seasons of the year? I know in marshes and swamps it can vary greatly from season to season but am unsure in hill country. Also, have any of you taken mature bucks on properties that just did not have a lot of mature buck sign on them. I scouted all this weekend on two different pieces of hill country public. One piece in particular had very obvious mature buck bedding sign (huge scat,multiple huge beds, and very large 4 finger tracks). Walking around the bedding areas and around the rest of the piece, I could not find a mature buck rub to save my life. Anyone have success killing mature bucks on pieces like this? Thanks guys!

rfickes87
500 Club

Re: Hill country primary bedding

Unread postby rfickes87 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:37 am

Don't worry about not seeing a mature rub. If you found mature beds and you are certain of it, that's the most important thing. I find that the bedding does change during the seasons. BUT, if you're find beds during this time of the year when cover if minimal then you can bet the farm that its most likely used at any time of year. I found beds in summer in hill country that went unused in hunting season but beds this time of year should yield bucks year round. As long as there are no other major factors changing. Just use common sense when you're there looking at the bed...Think to yourself, how good of a spot it really is, how the cover in the vicinity will change throughout the year and if it'll get molested by hunters.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:41 am

Don't worry about rubs my last 2 bucks didn't have a rub near them. Most of the areas I hunt have only a few small rubs but cams show big bucks. I think most mature bucks don't rub much.

I do find alot of scrapes in the same spots every year.

Hill bedding does change depending on season and pressure.

To me if a area is full of rubs chances are its heavily hunted and does not produce mature bucks but is full of young bucks. This might change on a Iowa farm but its consistent where I hunt.

I've seen alot of 2 year old small bucks destroy pine trees.Some hunter finds eyes light up and puts his stand right over it kinda funny really.

Rub height can be important but alot of mature bucks rub tiny saplings.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
WIpubhunter 87

Unread postby WIpubhunter 87 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:28 am

Thanks guys, that gives me a lot more confidence in some areas I’ve scouted but not hunted of hung cameras yet.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:18 am

So your question cant be answered with a positive yes or no. If there is ag around and their primary food sources change then their bedding will change as well. If it stays the same then more than likely their bedding will roughly stay the same.
You also need to evaluate the pressure in your area. Some years some spots dont see much and other years they get pounded. I've found on public that when someone finds a decent bedding area with a good buck in the neighborhood their first instinct is to go tromping in and hanging cameras only to be checked every few weeks. They basically just ruined this spot and tipped their hat to anything in the area.
I have found though where I hunt in hill country the best bedding will always be the best bedding. Other factors such as the ones I mentioned above will dictate if and when they use them. If its blown out early season and pressure dies off it may be good late season. I think you see where I'm going with this. So you need to know where the bedding is, what bucks are in the neighborhood, and when and why they use the beds. You need to be able to connect all the pieces.
This is where some hunters fall short including myself at times. You figure out where a buck is, you know some of his beds, but there is the one piece of the puzzle you need to connect the dots and get the job done. So look at the whole picture and try to understand the reasoning why they do things.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”