Retrieving deer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Retrieving deer

Unread postby dan » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:40 pm

cspot wrote:
dan wrote:
Hookslinger wrote:
dan wrote:
Hookslinger wrote:I have a kayak that I would like to use to access some remote areas via river or lake. Its a small kayak, so no way could I fit a deer on there with me. I have an idea to secure some of those noodle floaty things (the ones kids use for swimming) around each edge of a big ice fishing sled, and floating a deer out towing that behind my kayak. Anyone ever do anything like this? Seems like it would work. I would just drill some holes and secure the floaties with zip ties, so I could remove them when finished.

When I used a kayak to hunt I bought a small infatable raft for pretty cheap that could pull a deer out if towed behind.

Thats an even better idea. That way you could pack it in the kayak with you to avoid multiple trips. Thats probably the way to go. Thanks!

kayak.png

HOw do you have the stuff on the front? Looks like you have a wood platform?

I designed an aluminum diamond plate platform the stand and bow attaches too. The wood you see is a 2x4 with the shape of the kayak cut out to attach and level the alum platform.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:44 pm

The best system I ever had to haul deer out was a cart that we made that was the shape of a deer sled. The deer sled mounted up on it. So we would use the sled to get the deer out of wet, thick, or steep terrain, then tilt the cart and pull the sled up onto it and wheel it out on flat open terrain. Worked great, but I broke the cart and never rebuilt it.
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:12 am

I hunt near water often. 90% get a short mostly downhill drag then are dropped in a canoe. I would rather do a 2 mile paddle than drag a deer 100yds up hill. When I cant do that a jet sled is the next best option. It keeps the legs and head/antlers contained so they don't catch on stuff.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:53 am

Dragging deer is by far the hardest thing about hunting in my opinion. Theres been a couple times i didnt hunt places because i would have had to drag it by myself for a mile up and done hills. Maybe that makes me lazy lol
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:11 am

Moose wrote:Dragging deer is by far the hardest thing about hunting in my opinion. Theres been a couple times i didnt hunt places because i would have had to drag it by myself for a mile up and done hills. Maybe that makes me lazy lol

Carts can be nice. I do not recommend them though if have to use them to go over downed logs. If you're near trails, or fields, carts are very nice. I hauled my 9 point 1100 yards up hill this year on my cart. I thought it wouldn't be too bad with my cart but it was terrible. pulling it up over logs and debris in this old clear cut, thru brush was such a pain. I'd go 20 yards and have to take a break. I walked backwards, pulling it in a rowing motion. Once I got into cell phone range I called a buddy for help and then he brought another buddy and it kind of gave up my secret spot. Going forward my plan is to skin them out in the field using the gutless method (watch on youtube) and take game bags with me and pack it out, if the drag it too far. After doing that I'll never do it again, wasn't worth it and by asking for help I gave up my location. My drag would have been twice as far but honestly easier and probably less time (took me 4 hours) if I chose to take it downhill to another parking lot. looking back that would have been a better option even though at the time is seemed stupid to drag it twice as far. Going downhill with a cart is very easy. Also, if you do use a cart, throw out the pins that come with it and buy good bolts with wing nuts. My pins bent real bad and one even sheared off b/c the weight of the deer and he just a normal 2.5 year old buck. I had to use a dragging rope to tie the cart together.

Somethings to consider...
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:40 am

My following comments are based on Wisconsin and the UP. Also I do have a cart, better than whats on Dan Video, and an ATV, and mostly I am solo, but have options to get help................. With that said, I watched Dans video, and I also use the sled and have done so for years,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,However, you make too much work out of it. I can break a deer down in about 15 minutes, and do so all the time,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Its called a knife,,,,,,,,,,, I have lots of them, but for in field I like my Havalon that weighs a few ounces.

Okay deer is down, I field dress it, that takes 10 minutes, or less. Transport, even with help why fight all that dead weight. Front shoulders come off, and than the rear quarters. Put that on a sled and its not that much. Now you have the main body. Well I cut it in half, more less weight, for sleds or carts. Caution, because the game wardens gave me a warning in Wis. They have a silly rule, that the legs must come out also, since I use to easy cut the leg at the joint, and get rid of the useless lower leg, and more weight is off................

I have shown a lot of younger beasts how to break one down, but there are some good You Tube videos on it. Do what you want, but anytime your dragging a deer, too much work. When I get home, I butcher. I do not butcher anyway from a hanging deer, I simply take of a deer on a good table which saves my back, and is more comfortable and easier to do. The Bearded Butchers on You Tube have some good stuff.................

That is the Pro side of it, but there is always a Con side to it. The Con side is, when I am solo, I may have to make 2 trips. So usually I will not cut the deer in half but put the body in the sled or on the cart, easy to do, with the weight off. Last year, I just used para cord and hung up my quarters in a maple tree, which took only a few minutes, and they were handled after I came back. I have nothing but time, never in a hurry, and I do not bust my a..

But if you have a partner, well then its pretty easy, but again I would never drag a whole deer out. My last drag was when I was 38,, and in Bayfield County, and the drag took 6 hours,,,,, forget that

Hope everyone has a good scouting spring.................... stay well

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”