The last hunt...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Huntress13
500 Club

Re: The last hunt...

Unread postby Huntress13 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:18 am

I learned a couple new tricks. Sorry you weren't able to bag her though.

Twigs in my hair, don't care.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:23 am

Moose wrote:I have hunted from the ground the last 3 yrs from the ground and it is difficult especially with that crunchy snow.

More obstacles and shorter windows, and if one of those bucks in the background were shooters, i had no chance cause it was the 1st deer or nothing. From a tree I could of possible let the dope go and waited,,, I may of also been able to see farther back if the big one was in the group lagging behind... All around ground hunting is a tough gig. but it is something you need to have in your bag of tricks. I would say to be the best you can be "ALWAYS" should never come before your method of hunting. A guy needs to be flexible.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:24 am

Huntress13 wrote:I learned a couple new tricks. Sorry you weren't able to bag her though.

I would of liked to bury that video in the swamp it came out of... But, I felt there were some good learning opportunities in it. 8-)
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:46 am

dan wrote:
Moose wrote:I have hunted from the ground the last 3 yrs from the ground and it is difficult especially with that crunchy snow.

More obstacles and shorter windows, and if one of those bucks in the background were shooters, i had no chance cause it was the 1st deer or nothing. From a tree I could of possible let the dope go and waited,,, I may of also been able to see farther back if the big one was in the group lagging behind... All around ground hunting is a tough gig. but it is something you need to have in your bag of tricks. I would say to be the best you can be "ALWAYS" should never come before your method of hunting. A guy needs to be flexible.

I liked that set up . It’s tough to get one close late season , X2 on the ground .
This past season I started keeping a light leafy jacket and leafy head net in my pack ... just in case getting in a tree is not an option .
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:20 am

Good video Dan. Thanks for sharing. Kudos to you giving it your all through the end of the year. Your determination is inspiring.

Next year can’t come soon enough for me!
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
WIpubhunter 87

Unread postby WIpubhunter 87 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:32 pm

Just wanted to say thanks to dan for posting not only this video, but other videos throughout this season where the hunts did not end great. I had a season that pretty much matched dan’s bow season spot on. I shot at two bucks and two does with my bow and walked away empty handed at the end of the season. I don’t know if I have ever been so frustrated with myself in my life. Seeing dan honestly share the lows of his season while having a good attitude and strong perseverance to get the job done was very inspiring to me and lifted my spirits immensely during my low points as well. It’s all too common to hear people talk about their successes. It’s very rare to hear people talk honestly and openly about their failures. Just wanted to share that.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:13 pm

Another great video dan. Really enjoyed the ground game. I also had a tough season, the only deer I put in the freezer this year is the doe you marinated in the swamp in Michigan. I was wondering why it tasted so good, now I know. Good job on a great season of sharing your season, it means a lot to many
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:35 am

Another great video! I love the lesson around shooting lanes and practicing the draw back. I had a late season ground hunt experience this season where I got busted at 15 yards. The deer saw me before I saw it. I thought about how I could have turned this into a kill and I wish I would have been wearing white. I don't have any white hunting clothing so I might need to stop at an Army Surplus or something like that.
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:08 pm

what swivel seat are you using? Mike
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:30 pm

mspaci wrote:what swivel seat are you using? Mike

Its a huntmore chair. They are awesome.