Straight to the point

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

may21581
500 Club

Straight to the point

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:08 pm

I cant over emphasize the value of quality points in hill country. I have started scouting already for next season and have been on a quest to find the absolute best bedding in the areas I hunt. So with that said I would like to share what I have discovered.
As you may have heard before, 90 percent of most properties can be eliminated by doing a speed walk. Open woods and areas that dont offer good cover are useless for daytime hunting. You may get lucky in these spots during the rut but for the most parts they are low odds. Me personally I like the highest odds I can get.
Almost all the best beds I have found have been on points that have some sort of military bench and thick cover. There are lots of points in my area but the best ones will have multaflora, old vine, blowdowns, and an excellent view of the area in front of them.
I found such a place like this today. Upon further investigation and walking I found a clearing on top of a ridge. This clearing was thick with switch grass, small trees, greenbriar and deadfall. What is even better about this location is its geographic location. Its nestled in a saddle in the hills off one of these great points. I knew instantly it was going to be good. I walked this area which is about 2 acre in size and found beds and rubs everywhere. The rubs were waist to chest high new and old from the past. This spot has been added to my list and look forward to hunting it. Spots like this are hard to find and is the spots we set out to find. I feel it was a good day scouting. This was definately a big buck bedding location.

"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Straight to the point

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:44 pm

That sounds awesome. Great find.

I want to scout more in the hills too. I hunted swamps almost exclusively and it was tough sledding at times... But, a good hairy point into the swamp can be gold as well. Missed a crack at one this year on such a point... High stem count, lots of blow downs, dogwood off of the tip. Pretty much impenetrable without busting everything out.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”