Wading down stream for access... thermals?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hookslinger
500 Club

Wading down stream for access... thermals?

Unread postby Hookslinger » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:01 am

I scouted a piece of land yesterday that has a small creek that runs from North to South, and it ends up feeding into a larger river. I found some good bedding in the area, and some nice little openings back in there that might be good. Many creek crossings as well. To get back there on dry ground would be an absolute nightmare, its very thick in most areas. I have the idea that I could access by wading down the creek until I reach a nice opening, then pick a tree. The creek is almost more of a stream I would say, the current is pretty swift.

I have a couple questions, if you guys could throw some knowledge at me. One thing I'm wondering is about my scent. I would use this access on any south wind, but I would be wading down stream. So what I'm wondering is will the water flowing down stream carry my scent down in some type of thermal effect? Even if I had the wind in my favor? How would that work exactly with the rising/falling thermals? Or with it being such a small creek would it be such a minimal effect that it wouldn't even matter? It wouldn't make much sense to access this way if the water current is just pulling my scent down towards the spots I want to hunt.

Just some more clarifying info. The creek is small, could almost jump across it in some spots, and the current is pretty fast. It is shallow is some spots, and knee to almost waist deep in others (but the water levels are high right now). I would think it flows alot cooler compared to a slow moving body of water.

Another question is when/how would you hunt this type of setup? I was thinking during the rut, maybe catch a buck cruising the water ways checking the creek crossing. Morning or evening? Mid day? I did find beds in the area, but could not determine specific buck beds, much of the area is flooded and has some snow on the ground. I did find some decent rubs too. My thought is just a fun rut sit and hopefully learn more about the area. Its so thick and gnarly back there one would have to think a buck could get some age on him.

Is this a good idea or should I toss it?

Jdw
500 Club

Re: Wading down stream for access... thermals?

Unread postby Jdw » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:21 am

When the thermals are falling there is a really good chance they will be pulling down hill just like the water.
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:51 am

Assuming little to no wind, I'd expect your scent to follow the water downstream. I trout fish a small stream and often find the wind current moving upstream though, so a stiff enough wind could offset the effect. I'd wait for those conditions to access that way, or go ahead and have the nightmare and access with the wind on my cheek through the thick stuff. It'd be worth your time to drop milkweed along that stream in conditions similar to how you plan to access it.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:08 pm

Sounds like a good all day spot to sit in rut. Get in there early before the deer come back to the bedding area. Have a good idea where the bucks are coming from and hunt the wind when it’s not blowing toward that area.They could be coming back late from ag fields or acorns.You could have action anytime of day.
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:44 pm

Drenalin wrote:Assuming little to no wind, I'd expect your scent to follow the water downstream. I trout fish a small stream and often find the wind current moving upstream though, so a stiff enough wind could offset the effect. I'd wait for those conditions to access that way, or go ahead and have the nightmare and access with the wind on my cheek through the thick stuff. It'd be worth your time to drop milkweed along that stream in conditions similar to how you plan to access it.

Thanks for the input. I'll have to wait for the right conditions. The surrounding cover is almost impenetrable right now, cant imagine what its like during the season with the foilage up. Could be a crafty way to get away from the other hunters!

Hawthorne wrote:Sounds like a good all day spot to sit in rut. Get in there early before the deer come back to the bedding area. Have a good idea where the bucks are coming from and hunt the wind when it’s not blowing toward that area.They could be coming back late from ag fields or acorns.You could have action anytime of day.

Sounds like a good idea. I will scout that area again, and access like I would if I was to hunt it and pick a tree. I'll mark it on my phone so I can find it in the dark and get in there extra early. Its not an area that I will likely be able to pin point a certain buck bedding area being new to this, so thats why I figured a rut sit would be a good way to go. Thanks. I'll dig up this thread and give a report if I end up hunting this spot.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:11 pm

Like Drenalin said, figure those thermals out preseason. It sucks hoping for something that doesn’t happen or vice verse. I’ve said “it will be fine” or “I’ll make it work” many times and have gotten burned often enough. Figure it out ahead of time... you’ll be glad you did.

I like creek/river access. I have several spots where I cross water or wade in it and basically step right into my set up. One thing I will say about fast flowing water, there will be noise. I’ve got one set where I follow the river (with the current) for a few hundred yards then head toward my kill tree by using a beaver run.

While in the river I need to walk way faster than I want to to try and keep up with the current. If I go slow or stay motionless, the water rushes around my legs and makes a lot of noise. The faster I go, the quieter it is ;) keep in mind the slowest water is nearest the edge, as the shoreline helps slow it down. I stay as close to the shoreline as I can while avoiding grass and shrubs for scent reasons.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”