Stands

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Moose
500 Club

Stands

Unread postby Moose » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:24 am

Just curious to everyones go to stand for leaving a stand on private or public for the whole season. Ive used big dog stands from menards. There ok for the money. This year im thinking of hang and hunt every time so the deer cant pattern me. Or leave it for a couple days for an observation stand then move in for the kill. Just not sure if one expensive stand is the way to go or multiple cheap ones for leaving it up for the season.

SplitG2

Re: Stands

Unread postby SplitG2 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:42 am

I have nothing but great things to say about millenium tree stands. I have been using them for 6 years now and they’re great. Lightweight, super easy to hang and comfort is unmatched IMO.
Hunt Hard or Go Home
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:46 am

I use my public land set up and leave the screw in steps in the trees
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:19 am

If it's public, it's gonna be a stand that I wont lose any sleep over if it gets stolen. For me that would be the cheapest lock-ons or ladders from wherever.
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:27 am

Even on private, I typically just use cheap stands. I don't need a whole lot to be comfortable, so I wold rather use money to get a bunch of stands, instead of one really nice stand.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:32 am

Thesouthpaw wrote:Even on private, I typically just use cheap stands. I don't need a whole lot to be comfortable, so I wold rather use money to get a bunch of stands, instead of one really nice stand.

Agreed. On my families land we mostly have cheap ladder stands scattered around. We do have one pretty nice 1.5 man Summit ladder with a roof over it. We call it the Taj Mahal :lol:
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:22 am

For me for presets I prefer ladderstands. Since I have 3 kids that hunt mine are all now double ladderstands.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:47 pm

When I hunted private, I left my stands in the trees. I had an API Baby Grand Lite, a Gorilla, (both loc ons). Also an Ol'man ladder stand. I liked them all. No problems with any of them.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:16 pm

For preset hang ons I use the $20 sportsman’s guide ones. I ditch the straps and use a chain with a turnbuckle.

On private where I have the best tree on the place pegged. I build wood ladder stands. Legs treated 4x4 post and treated 2x4s for the rest. I slap a thick coat of outdoor paint on em and good to go. Have had some in place for 20 years still as good as new. Every few years I slap another thick coat of paint on.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Pfunk

Unread postby Pfunk » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:41 am

I have accumulated several stands over the years, but the ones I put in places I know I am going to hunt or know I need to count on are my lone wolf stands. Yes they are spendy and they aren’t the most comfortable thing on the market, but I turn to them because I know they are going to be rock solid and not make a peep. My cheaper stands tend to have more flex in them and are prone to making some noise, especially when the temperature starts to plummet. I’ll use them when I need to, but I don’t have the same trust in them.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:23 am

Aside from theft on public land if you leave your stand your basically tipping your hat to the other hunters. So before you do this evaluate the whole situation and location.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
raisins

Unread postby raisins » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:11 pm

For more than like one night, the only stand I would ever consider leaving is $80 one from Dick's Sporting Goods that you have to completely assemble. I never leave anything I care about because I've had 3 tree stands stolen before I took that approach (cut off tree with bolt cutters). If you have some spare screw in steps, it's easy to leave them but unscrew the bottom 8 feet and then carry your stand in and one climbing stick. Use the stick to get to your steps. Hanging a stand is easy compared to the climbing method.
minnesotahunter
Facebook: No Facebook

Unread postby minnesotahunter » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:29 pm

Here is a long answer. I have millenium, lone wolf, muddy and several cheap stands. The millenium bracket idea is great. Leave the brackets in a few trees and leave sticks on the tree. When you hunt you only need the stand. They slide on quick but not very quiet. They are extremely comfortable. Best part is that you only need 1 stand and you can have 10 different setups. Here is the negative. After you hunt out of a lone wolf you realize how unbelievably quiet they are compared to other stands. When it is cold millenniums are noisy between boots squeaking and weight shifting. I never really get that with a lone wolf. Regardless of what stand you choose make sure to replace straps that are worn. You don't want to be the guy in a wheel chair because you didn't spend $15 on a set of new straps. Hope this helps.
"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together"
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:04 am

I hope you guys who leave in your screw in tree steps do that on private land....... On public where my family logs you are not only screwing up a tree, but taking money away from those who bid on the log jobs,. Waste of wood and dangerous for loggers .....get your head out of your butts......
Dhoff
500 Club

Unread postby Dhoff » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:20 pm

minnesotahunter wrote:Here is a long answer. I have millenium, lone wolf, muddy and several cheap stands. The millenium bracket idea is great. Leave the brackets in a few trees and leave sticks on the tree. When you hunt you only need the stand. They slide on quick but not very quiet. They are extremely comfortable. Best part is that you only need 1 stand and you can have 10 different setups. Here is the negative. After you hunt out of a lone wolf you realize how unbelievably quiet they are compared to other stands. When it is cold millenniums are noisy between boots squeaking and weight shifting. I never really get that with a lone wolf. Regardless of what stand you choose make sure to replace straps that are worn. You don't want to be the guy in a wheel chair because you didn't spend $15 on a set of new straps. Hope this helps.

Good call on the straps. Thats definitely something that gets forgotten about on presets.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”