Fresh roadkill

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Fresh roadkill

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:52 am

Just passed it and thinking about going back and taking it. Anyone else pick up roadkill?

Jonny
500 Club

Re: Fresh roadkill

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:06 am

I haven’t but never drove enough to find much. Almost picked up a huge 10 point that I watched the county put down on the freeway but I was already running late to a meeting and it wasn’t cold out. Looked in really good shape though so I think it just had 2 broken legs.

One of my guys at work says he picks up 5-6 every year and did 10 this year. All he said is to avoid freeway kills and usually you will be fine.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
raisins

Unread postby raisins » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:30 am

In WV, you have to use a tag, so I have no idea what you do outside of season.

Also, be careful, dispatching a mortally wounded deer alongside a roadway is illegal in WV (even if you do not discharge a firearm in city limits, etc). So, you supposedly have to watch a deer thrash around with a broken back while you wait an hour for the sheriff to show.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:42 am

Pick up roadkill all the time, I have grabbed 3 this year. I just make sure they are fresh. It makes me feel good not to waste the meat on an animal I did not kill. And I need the meat!
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:36 am

I've never had the opportunity to pick up fresh roadkill, but I would definitely do it so as not to let it go to waste. Pretty sure you have to get a special tag from the conservation dept. for it as well though here in MO.
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
strehb18

Unread postby strehb18 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:37 am

I pick up road kills every year. I found it depressing when you just see the deer wasting away on the side of the road all winter/spring long. Better I get some meat out of it than let it rot away and nobody benefit.

Be careful for broken bones and fragments where you usually wouldn't expect them. Gutting and processing is going to take longer than a fresh, double lunged deer. Still worth it if you can get something out of nothing. You might have some areas that are pretty mangled, but I wouldn't give up on anything fresh until its skinned and you can really assess the damage.
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:18 am

in my state the pd will give you a tag for roadkill. All you have to do is call.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:09 am

Yes, especially if I know how fresh it is.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:15 am

Many years ago, I was on the Sheriff office "hit lists" for two local counties. If a deer got hit on the road, and the driver of the vehicle did not want it, they called the top name on the list. If you turned it down, you dropped to the bottom of the list. They only called if they thought the deer was "salvageable", so no dead center Semi hits. 1991, the night before I headed to Wisconsin for firearms opener, I got a call for a 1.5 year old buck that had busted back legs. Got him dressed and hung in the shed, weather cooperated, added it to the butcher day with the 2 does I shot up in Wisconsin.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:08 pm

A lot of deer I got that were hit had split hearts. Cut out any bad bruising and enjoy. I only ran one deer over. My big bro was up in Michigan and we were fall turkey hunting in early November. Saw a flock of turkeys in the road several hundred yards ahead on a two track. We started moving towards them at a high rate of speed, bam rolled a doe. It hit the plow harness on my 97 diesel F250. He yelled, and said what are you going to do, I said that deer is dead lets go get some turkeys (I wasn't planning to hit the flock, just wanted to scatter them). Anyway got the deer, no turkeys that trip. Gosh I miss my big bro.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:14 pm

No sense in wasting a good deer. Nothing worse than seeing them rot away on the side of the road. Seems like they rarely pick them up anymore. I have some that I’ve been driving by for 3-4 months now and still lying there with nothing but fur and bones.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:20 pm

I read an old hunting magazine I found last fall that talked about this very subject. It used to be alot more common some time ago than today. Now days if it doesnt come prewrapped or in a brown paper bag it is looked down upon by many. Nothing wrong with it if its fresh and can go to good use. I hate to see an animal go to waste.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:32 pm

I have no problems picking up road hit deer if I need the meat. If the front or rear ends are all bruised, throw them out. It’s still better than letting it rot in the ditch.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:31 pm

matt1336 wrote:I have no problems picking up road hit deer if I need the meat. If the front or rear ends are all bruised, throw them out. It’s still better than letting it rot in the ditch.

It’s just pre-tenderized :whistle:

Even if I didn’t need the meat, never can have enough sausage sticks
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:04 pm

Jonny wrote:
matt1336 wrote:I have no problems picking up road hit deer if I need the meat. If the front or rear ends are all bruised, throw them out. It’s still better than letting it rot in the ditch.

It’s just pre-tenderized :whistle:

Even if I didn’t need the meat, never can have enough sausage sticks

Bingo! And Back straps are almost always good on road kill, worth the work just for that!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”