Must see: Jeff Sturgis vid. His thoughts on the Proposed WI regs, crossbows and CWD

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Must see: Jeff Sturgis vid. His thoughts on the Proposed WI regs, crossbows and CWD

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:24 am

Thought I'd start a new thread for this. He comments on alot of topics that have been posted in a few "heated" threads lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBu3lWT2Oc4

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
SplitG2

Re: Must see: Jeff Sturgis vid. His thoughts on the Proposed WI regs, crossbows and CWD

Unread postby SplitG2 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:06 am

I agree 100% with everything in Jeff’s video.
Hunt Hard or Go Home
PredatoronthePrairie

Re: Must see: Jeff Sturgis vid. His thoughts on the Proposed WI regs, crossbows and CWD

Unread postby PredatoronthePrairie » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:11 am

It's what he does.
Checks various forums for hot topics and makes videos.

Agree with some of his stuff.
Not all.
Most is on repeat from year to year.
eazyduzit94

Unread postby eazyduzit94 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:21 am

We need to build a wall around Wisconsin and make them pay for it! :D :lol:

But really, I feel for you guys up there in Wisconsin. You guys have had a rough go for a while now. Some of that CWD over reaction madness is drifting down this direction too. My hunting spot just outside of the "cwd hot zone" here in the NE part of Iowa has been a dead zone after they did their "kill everything that moves" events. I don't think I've seen a doe there from a treestand in 2 years. You don't even see deer feeding in fields like you used to on an evening drive. I've seen local Iowa hunting pages get post after post deleted for heated debates about allowing crossbows. Seems like everyone is in it for their own best interest instead of what's best for sports men and women as a whole. Whatever makes the most revenue I think will win unfortunately. I made a few suggestions to the DNR and got scolded. They acted like how dare a peasant like myself recommend something that makes sense to the man. Not good at all. Rich mans sport here we come.....
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:23 am

Video is blocked here at work. Someone care to tell me what he had to say about CWD? I really admire Jeff. Curious what he had to say about CWD. I live in a hot zone here in PA.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:47 am

Good video. Jeff makes a lot of really good points. I agree with just about everything he said especially the CWD comments. The sky is falling approach seen here in WI 18 years ago obviously was a major overreaction. Too bad other states aren’t learning from us.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:32 am

rfickes87 wrote:Video is blocked here at work. Someone care to tell me what he had to say about CWD? I really admire Jeff. Curious what he had to say about CWD. I live in a hot zone here in PA.

You really just need to find a way to watch it. Short version is it's been way, way over hyped! Similar to the global warming stuff!

I feel sorry for you PA hunters. You've got that biology professor that's at the fore front of the CWD news lately. Pushing all of the same crap that WI already tried/went through already.
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:45 am

Thanks for sharing Stash !! .... "Enjoy this great passion that we have" !!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Lets hope a few of our DNR big wigs see this video.....
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:47 am

Good points in the video.

The proposed regulations are idiotic. I'd like to see them defeated unless someone can come up with some pretty persuasive reasons why they should be implemented.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
PeteJ

Unread postby PeteJ » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:47 pm

Great video and well said!
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:03 pm

Dewey wrote:Good video. Jeff makes a lot of really good points. I agree with just about everything he said especially the CWD comments. The sky is falling approach seen here in WI 18 years ago obviously was a major overreaction. Too bad other states aren’t learning from us.

Great point Dewey... The Michigan DNR does a lot things I agree with and many that I don't. They certainly are in a difficult spot many times... but I was so disappointed with the decision on CWD action here. They have ignored what Wisconsin and other states have learned and proceeded with, actions that other states underwent many years ago. I think there is a lot of fear and uncertainty on how to proceed.

I was incredibly disappointed with the arrogance when I watched them propose the new regulations and why, pretending to be knowledgeable about it. Sometimes we win and sometimes we lose. Don't get me wrong, they do a lot of great things... but this wasn't one of them.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:12 pm

Agreed with a lot of the video. I REALLY wish other states wouldn't follow the Wisconsin model on CWD.....it could set their state back a decade or two if not abandoned quickly.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:28 pm

I've tried watching his videos, including this one, but can never make it through. What's coming out of his mouth sounds like someone trying to help me, but when I listen between the lines he is only trying to sell me something or stroke his ego. If you put hunting celebrities on a scale, with someone like Dan on one end, and Bill Jordan on the other, Sturgis is way over on the Bill Jordan side of the spectrum. He says a lot without actually saying anything.
rutjunkie

Unread postby rutjunkie » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:17 pm

Trout wrote:I've tried watching his videos, including this one, but can never make it through. What's coming out of his mouth sounds like someone trying to help me, but when I listen between the lines he is only trying to sell me something or stroke his ego. If you put hunting celebrities on a scale, with someone like Dan on one end, and Bill Jordan on the other, Sturgis is way over on the Bill Jordan side of the spectrum. He says a lot without actually saying anything.

That last sentence is what i think of all his videos
There is only so many Novembers in ones life, make the most of them.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:09 am

I'm far from a fan myself and rarely watch his vids. What interested me the most was what he said about John Ozooga. Ozooga was "the doctor deer" long before James Kroll. He has been part of more deer studies than anyone. If he says we don't have to worry too much about CWD. Then I would tend to listen. Funny thing is Dr. Deer, James Kroll pretty much said the same thing. 2 of the countries most respected and experienced deer researchers. And yet everyone else knows way better!!!

Lots of research needs to be done on CWD. But why kill off the herd, before we have all, or at least a few more answers. What their doing now is just based on a guess. Because no one truly knows how long CWD has existed.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”