Hill country beds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

WIpubhunter 87

Hill country beds

Unread postby WIpubhunter 87 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:10 pm

Found some buck beds yesterday on a south facing point. After looking at these beds and scouting the immediate area for potential setup spots I made my way south down the point. I noticed all along the way down to the bottom that there were at least 15-20 more beds at various elevations going down the point. At the bottom of the point there is a pond and the whole area is covered with white oaks from top to bottom. Would the biggest buck there prefer the top of the point or more towards the bottom in this situation?

SplitG2

Re: Hill country beds

Unread postby SplitG2 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:38 am

Altho at first glance, what you described sounds like you found doe bedding down the point and possibly some satellite buck beds and a primary buck bed at the top of the point but there’s a lot of variables in your situation. Like what does the surrounding terrain look like? Is it just a hill with a pond at the bottom or is the pond located where 2-3 hollars come together and a thermal hub is formed near the bottom?

Just a guess based on the info you gave, a Northerly wind in the morning sounds ideal for the beds around the top of the point.
Hunt Hard or Go Home
WIpubhunter 87

Unread postby WIpubhunter 87 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:05 am

There is another high ridge 200 yards south on the other side of the pond and a saddle to the east that connects the two. The saddle between the point and the ridge serves as a barrier between this pond and another pond to the east on private property. The saddle is much less lower elevation than the point and the ridge. Could that still be a thermal hub? Or would you need higher elevation than the saddle provides?
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:48 am

Sounds like doe bedding. If it is mature buck bedding, you should be able to identify the advantage that he has while bedding there. If it’s open woods with not much cover, it’s most likely doe bedding. Is there a steep drop-off close by? If so, that could be the advantage he needs. Look for concentrated areas of rubs and/or rubs leaving or entering beds. Those could help you distinguish between mature buck and doe bedding.
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:31 am

Sounds normal. Most of my setups are similar to this.
Buck bedding up high.

Does on point.
Does thermal rises to the bucks during heating of the day.

My guess would be theres a primary scrape between the doe bedding and buck somewhere. So he can safely check it while thermals are rising.

Buck gets up heads down to water during summer early fall. Problem is set upon water midday to evening your rising thermal also goes to the buck.

How I view this setup 1
To hunt the pond sneak in just before dark setup fast by water when sun no longer is creating rise. Take advantage of the water thermals. Might only be a 1 hour or less hunt. Or hunt it during a very overcast rainy day.

Setup 2
The saddle may create enough thermal rise to setup over it. If it's a hub going to be alot of windswirl when the thermal falls .If it's not too far to travel during daylight. Setup too far back and it's a bust. You will need to kill the buck before he enters the thermal hub or you will be busted. From what you describe sounds like hub is near the saddle. A good rut location from sound of it.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
WIpubhunter 87

Unread postby WIpubhunter 87 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:46 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:Sounds normal. Most of my setups are similar to this.
Buck bedding up high.

Does on point.
Does thermal rises to the bucks during heating of the day.

My guess would be theres a primary scrape between the doe bedding and buck somewhere. So he can safely check it while thermals are rising.

Buck gets up heads down to water during summer early fall. Problem is set upon water midday to evening your rising thermal also goes to the buck.

How I view this setup 1
To hunt the pond sneak in just before dark setup fast by water when sun no longer is creating rise. Take advantage of the water thermals. Might only be a 1 hour or less hunt. Or hunt it during a very overcast rainy day.

Setup 2
The saddle may create enough thermal rise to setup over it. If it's a hub going to be alot of windswirl when the thermal falls .If it's not too far to travel during daylight. Setup too far back and it's a bust. You will need to kill the buck before he enters the thermal hub or you will be busted. From what you describe sounds like hub is near the saddle. A good rut location from sound of it.

Some good intel. Thanks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”