Snow bucks, hounds, and never giving up...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JAK
500 Club

Re: Snow bucks, hounds, and never giving up...

Unread postby JAK » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:51 am

Just watched haha i wonder how some of those whacked out people are gunna like your coffe :lol: :clap:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:08 pm

JAK wrote:Just watched haha i wonder how some of those whacked out people are gunna like your coffe :lol: :clap:

Already got one crazy message, and I even asked them not to melt... go figure.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:35 pm

dan wrote:
JAK wrote:Just watched haha i wonder how some of those whacked out people are gunna like your coffe :lol: :clap:

Already got one crazy message, and I even asked them not to melt... go figure.

:roll: :lol: :clap:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:02 pm

Things just don't add up for me back at the conservancy.

I smell a rat!
I say BS on that guy telling you he's coyote hunting.

I don't know the area you are in nor do i want to know, but where I'm at, I don't know of anyone that takes hounds out in a swamp like that to coyote hunt and walks around with him like he's rabbit hunting???
Just how in the sam is he expecting to get a shot at a coyote. It's not like coyotes will circle back from where they are kicked up like a rabbit does sometimes.
I guess if he had guys posted up on the outskirts it might be a method but then why would he be in there with them? Guys around here just send the dogs in and they run the coyote out.

Again, not knowing the area, I don't know, but i have strong hunch that dude is an adjacent land owner and knows all too well of the good bucks that hang in the conservancy and is trying to push them out with the aid of the hounds to his buddies posted up on the land "they" can hunt on.??
Like you said, you don't own it so might not be much you can do but if you can prove he was doing an illegal activity (like chasing deer with dogs) on top of trespassing as much as it might be a PIA, it may be worth pursueing with the DNR or at least running by the conservancy manager so he knows of the shady crap going on out there.

I'd bet you take a walk out there every week for the rest of winter after the deer season over and you won't see his tracks or his dogs... :think:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:06 pm

Your timing and experiences are oddly similar to mine yesterday. Had some good ideas, then boot tracks and dog prints went right through all the good bedding the day before. Finally located some really beat-down trails, but no tracks got me excited. 2.5 finger was about the best. Maybe it's because I saw this one earlier in the season. I wear size 12 boots.

20200127_190539.jpg

I've worked that place hard. I don't want to give up, but I think I gotta cut my losses. Going to have to find something for the last day. So thanks for showing your method of starting over. :clap:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:20 pm

Encouraged by your persistence, Dan. I sure was hoping to see a dead buck at the end of that video, but watching you fight it out until the very end was super motivating :clap: :clap: :clap:
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:47 pm

Hatchetman wrote:Things just don't add up for me back at the conservancy.

I smell a rat!
I say BS on that guy telling you he's coyote hunting.

I don't know the area you are in nor do i want to know, but where I'm at, I don't know of anyone that takes hounds out in a swamp like that to coyote hunt and walks around with him like he's rabbit hunting???
Just how in the sam is he expecting to get a shot at a coyote. It's not like coyotes will circle back from where they are kicked up like a rabbit does sometimes.
I guess if he had guys posted up on the outskirts it might be a method but then why would he be in there with them? Guys around here just send the dogs in and they run the coyote out.

Again, not knowing the area, I don't know, but i have strong hunch that dude is an adjacent land owner and knows all too well of the good bucks that hang in the conservancy and is trying to push them out with the aid of the hounds to his buddies posted up on the land "they" can hunt on.??
Like you said, you don't own it so might not be much you can do but if you can prove he was doing an illegal activity (like chasing deer with dogs) on top of trespassing as much as it might be a PIA, it may be worth pursueing with the DNR or at least running by the conservancy manager so he knows of the shady crap going on out there.

I'd bet you take a walk out there every week for the rest of winter after the deer season over and you won't see his tracks or his dogs... :think:

I agree and also wonder what his true intent was. I know a guy that purposely runs dogs and pushes “his deer” back into an area closed to hunting because he doesn’t want them to get killed during the gun, muzzleloader and December antlerless seasons. I told him running deer with dogs is illegal but he says he’s just “pheasant hunting”. :liar:
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:56 pm

Way to stay after them
Enjoyed the video.

Guy with dogs sounds like a poacher or is busting the conservancy on purpose. Since he is getting away with it no doubt next year he will do the same thing again.

Intentionally following the deer trails with his footprints for long distances confirms he is not coyote hunting. Never heard of any coyote hunters using dogs. Even if the dogs found a den the pack uses the coyotes would have either already fled the area or be hidden in the den he would never get a kill. The story about coyote hunting doesn't sound legit.

Also doesn't sound like he has permit to be in the area. Never been to the area so I'm not sure if conservency gives out coyote tags.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:35 pm

Outstanding video dan. :clap:

I think you are due a little luck....keep grinding.
Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:22 pm

Awesome video.
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:39 pm

Got some more intelligence on the hound guy... a bar down the street has a big coyote hunting contest for the month of january. I was told thos guy was a problem last year as well, although I shot my buck there last year and never saw him... I was told multiple area land owners were mad and a preacher from the local church grabbed one of the radio collared dogs out of his property at least 5 or 6 properties from where this guy can hunt and called the sherriff and all the local land overs over... sherriff said the coyote hunter was a good personal friend and talked everyone out of pressing charges... looks like his break did not discourage his activities. I know plenty of guys who coyote hunt, and following the hounds thru the swamp is not how you do it, his dogs run more deer than coyotes, and he has no clue what he is doing. I feel sorry for the old guy just trying to hunt, but 80 acres with no fence, no roads, surrounded by others private properties is asking for trouble. Looks like one of the land owners is going after him. They requested video of the dogs and conversations with him.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:04 am

Nothing better then a pot of coffee and watching a new youtube video from dan in the early morning!
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:20 am

dan wrote:Got some more intelligence on the hound guy... a bar down the street has a big coyote hunting contest for the month of january. I was told thos guy was a problem last year as well, although I shot my buck there last year and never saw him... I was told multiple area land owners were mad and a preacher from the local church grabbed one of the radio collared dogs out of his property at least 5 or 6 properties from where this guy can hunt and called the sherriff and all the local land overs over... sherriff said the coyote hunter was a good personal friend and talked everyone out of pressing charges... looks like his break did not discourage his activities. I know plenty of guys who coyote hunt, and following the hounds thru the swamp is not how you do it, his dogs run more deer than coyotes, and he has no clue what he is doing. I feel sorry for the old guy just trying to hunt, but 80 acres with no fence, no roads, surrounded by others private properties is asking for trouble. Looks like one of the land owners is going after him. They requested video of the dogs and conversations with him.

Gotta give you props, Dan, for having some compassion for the guy and having respect for his hunting rights even after he wrecked a couple of your hunts, but he needs to be made abundantly aware that he is grossly abusing the resource and that his "hunting" is ruining the resource for others.
As the saying goes-

"Your rights end where mine begin."

Maybe some of the affected neighbors can take up a collection to give him an all-expense-paid-trip up into to Northern Wisconsin to have his dogs chase "coyotes" around in the big woods up there!
What's the worst that could happen? ;)
upwind predator
500 Club

Unread postby upwind predator » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:24 am

Hey Dan, what camera fluid head are you using in the video?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”