Hand held GPS for scouting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

may21581
500 Club

Hand held GPS for scouting

Unread postby may21581 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:00 pm

Was wondering how many of you are using hand held GPS units for marking waypoints on topo maps when scouting. These seem like they would be an excellent tool when scouting and marking beds and areas of interest. If used which brands and models seem to be the best bang for the buck? Are there any more uses besides marking topos and navigation? Thanks

"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
cspot
500 Club

Re: Hand held GPS for scouting

Unread postby cspot » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:11 pm

may21581 wrote:Was wondering how many of you are using hand held GPS units for marking waypoints on topo maps when scouting. These seem like they would be an excellent tool when scouting and marking beds and areas of interest. If used which brands and models seem to be the best bang for the buck? Are there any more uses besides marking topos and navigation? Thanks

I use ONX on my phone. It works even when you don't have cell service.
Velociraptor

Unread postby Velociraptor » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:06 pm

Backcountry Pro...
On X
Google Earth...(phenomenal 3d for points and knobs)
Drop a pin ..copy the coordinates...over to On X
Drop the pin...walk Hunt score rinse and repeat
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:36 pm

I carry my Garmin (Oregon 650 I think?) in the truck at all times. I carry it any time I'm in the woods...always marking points of interest.

Makes getting out in the dark a heck of a lot easier too.

I run OnX as a back up. I've found the points are nowhere near as accurate. Close but not close enough for me. I've used my Garmin in Michigan to get to the exact tree I haven't seen in nearly 365 days in the dark.

I started marking points this year with dates and what I saw (if it was something worth noting) to monitor points for yearly activity.

Definitely invaluable for me and how I hunt. I couldn't imagine going in blind...deep. Stand on my back for a mile or 2 looking for hot sign. Hunting it till it's good and dark and having a mile or 2 hike out. In the dark in a place I'm not familiar with.

Offline maps for OnX are downloaded before hand. An extra set of lithiums for the Garmin...it'd be a real bad day when both fail....so I feel pretty comfortable.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:13 pm

The onX app replaced my handheld gps unit 6-7 years ago. Only way to go in my opinion.
But I'll pass on my Garmin for CHEAP if anyone wants it.
Not all those who wander are lost...
Moccasin Hunter

Unread postby Moccasin Hunter » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:51 pm

I've been using a basic Garmin for a long time and it's never let me down. I loaded an Onx app trial and I found it to be extremely inaccurate about property lines I knew about for certain. I just dont trust it now, if it's inaccurate about one thing how do you trust it for others. Google maps are the same. Roads that dont exist, rivers & whole communities inaccurately labeled. If they have these things wrong how do you trust them on positions? My Etrex10 will set you down on a stump in the dark 10 miles from nowhere at anytime, waterproof and shockproof and I can carry extra batteries that I buy at gas stations. If I carry a Mini Mag light the batteries are interchangeable too. Just drop your phone in the water and stomp on it in bear thicket in the dark sometime. I'm not criticizing anyone, just my personal experience! Old school to the bone I guess :D
"I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know of no way of judging the future but by the past" (Patrick Henry)
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:38 pm

I use an old Garmin Legend C. My phone is my only source of communication if I have a problem, so I don't wanna use it in a marsh where I could drop it.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:03 am

Garmin 64. With a chip that shows land owners i forget what its called but never lets me down. But had on x on my phone in wyoming and i didnt have service everywhere and sometimes we ended up where we didnt think we would so never pre loaded the maps for those areas.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:55 am

If you have a smart phone you can download an app.

I found onx unreliable for gps nav.

Gaia is much better.

BaseMap has the best imagery (google), I haven’t truly used it in the field though.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:09 am

I still carry a garmin 62. I download imagery from caltopo into the garmin for the area I am scouting.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:48 am

I still prefer my Garmin Oregon for navigating unfamiliar territory especially when combined with a OnX card. You just can't beat the reliability of a dedicated handheld GPS unit. OnX on my phone is great for aerials and dropping pins but is also horrible with battery life even in offline mode. I can keep my Oregon running all day never worrying about battery life while tracking every step and then download everything to aerials or topos on my computer when finished.
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:57 am

Garmin 62s here. Works well. I haven't switched to OnX due to the amount of stuff I have stored on the Garmin, and I prefer the Garmin when hunting the western states.
TravisB

Unread postby TravisB » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:53 am

I just lost my Garmin 64S I’ve had for over 5 years and replaced it with the 64st, which is basically the same unit with topo maps preloaded. I do not care how good the gps apps are on the phone, I want a separate gps unit for navigating. Just personal preference.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:28 am

These gps units will show landowners and property boundaries? They work off satellites so cell reception is not an issue then correct? Also do any of them have the ability to be tracked? Example if your hunting alone and something happens someone can find you?
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:53 am

Garmin 64S..

Dedicated handheld Garmin > OnX 6 days a week and 2x on Sunday.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”