What did this?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Huntress13
500 Club

What did this?

Unread postby Huntress13 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:28 am

Thin sapling all tore up from the ground, to over 6 feet up. Wasn't this way during regular rut season.

Deer or something else eating the bark?

20200125_092047.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Huntress13
500 Club

Re: What did this?

Unread postby Huntress13 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:30 am

Another pic

20200125_092036.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:40 am

Hard to tell for sure but looks small enough that a buck could have bent it down while thrashing his antlers across it. I have seen quite a few like that especially with the strips of bark hanging off. It’s not uncommon to see a buck rubbing after the rut. I find fresh rubs with bark shavings on top of the snow well into winter sometimes.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:47 am

Yes it is small and the top of it was still bent, hung up in a thorn apple branch next to it.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:18 am

When I see bark stripping like that I usually think porcupine.

It could also be bear, squirrel, or even a moose. The tooth marks tell the tail.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:36 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:When I see bark stripping like that I usually think porcupine.

It could also be bear, squirrel, or even a moose. The tooth marks tell the tail.

Bob

Interesting. We don't have moose here and bears are rare. Raccoons, possum, squirrels, fisher. Haven't seen any porcupines on game cams. I will look more closely for tooth marks, there didn't seem to be any at first glance.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:52 am

It's kinda hard to tell from your pics. But I'm leaning away from a buck rub. The bark appears to be coming off all on one side. Usually a tree torn up that far up it's height, has damage all the way around it at some point. And or has the top cracked or broken off. Seen similar looking trees that were from some type of animal, other than a bucks antlers, stripping the bark off. Also have seen some types of trees that that's what seemed to happen as they died.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:48 pm

Huntress13 wrote:
Horizontal Hunter wrote:When I see bark stripping like that I usually think porcupine.

Bob

Interesting. We don't have moose here and bears are rare. Raccoons, possum, squirrels, fisher. Haven't seen any porcupines on game cams. I will look more closely for tooth marks, there didn't seem to be any at first glance.

The way the bark is shredded in strips like that makes me lean towards a squirrel.

In the first picture it looks like there are some teeth marks on the trunk in the bottom right of the picture.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
raisins

Unread postby raisins » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:17 am

stash59 wrote:It's kinda hard to tell from your pics. But I'm leaning away from a buck rub. The bark appears to be coming off all on one side. Usually a tree torn up that far up it's height, has damage all the way around it at some point. And or has the top cracked or broken off. Seen similar looking trees that were from some type of animal, other than a bucks antlers, stripping the bark off. Also have seen some types of trees that that's what seemed to happen as they died.

Yeah, I see all sorts of things that look like rubs from a distance but upon closer inspection is a disease or just something that happened and maybe not due to an animal.
peteherbst

Unread postby peteherbst » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:28 am

I’ve set up trail cams in tubs like this and they tend to be squirrels tearing up the bark. I’m in southern Wisconsin so it may be different by location.
“You have to pay your dues”

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”