Getting down to the wire...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Dewey

Re: Getting down to the wire...

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:42 pm

Autiger wrote:Actually more than metro, ie Waukesha and jefferson, walworth, Dane, Sheboygan and plenty of others. Page 10 of the regulations

That’s right. I forgot about the extended archery counties. Sorry about that.

Autiger
500 Club

Unread postby Autiger » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:04 pm

Dewey wrote:
Autiger wrote:Actually more than metro, ie Waukesha and jefferson, walworth, Dane, Sheboygan and plenty of others. Page 10 of the regulations

No worries! Still feels weird to be out. The looks I get from other hunters when I say I’m still at it! Tomorrow is my last Hail Mary. Hoping to beat the competition to the spot tomorrow after my screw up today. Learned a valuable lesson after driving an hour from my place in downtown Milwaukee only to find out I left my release in a jacket at home. A spare release will be in the Jeep going forward.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:19 pm

Autiger wrote:
Dewey wrote:

No worries! Still feels weird to be out. The looks I get from other hunters when I say I’m still at it! Tomorrow is my last Hail Mary. Hoping to beat the competition to the spot tomorrow after my screw up today. Learned a valuable lesson after driving an hour from my place in downtown Milwaukee only to find out I left my release in a jacket at home. A spare release will be in the Jeep going forward.

I’ve done it too. Always two releases in the case now. ;)
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
jporcello
500 Club

Unread postby jporcello » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:47 pm

greenhorndave wrote:
Autiger wrote:
Dewey wrote:

I’ve done it too. Always two releases in the case now. ;)

after leaving mine in my other jacket on our out of town trip to Missouri I got a back up after Christmas.
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:21 pm

I’m right at the wire with you. Been a heck of a season, but have yet to see what I’m looking for. Maybe this morning. Good luck to everyone still grinding.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:47 am

may21581 wrote:I feel your pain dan. You are exactly right. Something should of been said to him anyway. His thoughts were no one was hunting anymore and wasnt hurting anything, in your defense he crossed 3 properties illegally. It wasnt right for this to ruin your hunt or spot because he doesnt respect others. Way to stay after it, I wish you the best with the time remaining on the season.

The neighbor on the far side has been going crazy marking his borders and accusing us on the conservancy of trespassing... I have the feeling this is the guy he is picking up on his trail cams.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:48 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:2morrow has Mojo...

And that... Is the right way to look at it!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:56 am

Brian1986 wrote:Dan, that stinks that you work for the opportunity to hunt a place like that and have another fella break the rules. I've never met you, but from the things Ive read about you and the videos Ive seen I am betting right about now you are saying to the woods "Is that all you got?" 6 more days left to get after it. Good luck!

Its hunts like that, that make me smile (well, maybe more if a smirk) and light a fire in my inner drive. There have been many times over my lifetime when I was up against the wall where most would of gave up and came out on top. Sure, there are times I failed too, but I like to remember the times I came out ahead and let the bad encounters like yesterday light the fire... Going to hit it hard today, and tomorrow... It ain't over till the buzzer
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:09 am

The season of 1990

I hunted hard the whole year. Pounded day after day. I was onto a nice 11 point buck. As the season started coming to an end it got bitter cold and the deer got much more patternable and I was able to determine where the buck was bedding and feeding. It was down to the wire and hard to get close with no cover and snow. On the last day of the season with 20 below record low temps, and wind chills so dangerous, they were advising not to leave your home, against all odds I went in aggressively for an all or nothing roll of the dice and arrowed that buck right on the last minute of the entire season. We got this... 5 more days. Lets go get a buck! 8-)
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:28 am

Good luck..... just think how sweet he's going to taste
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:59 am

dan wrote:The season of 1990

I hunted hard the whole year. Pounded day after day. I was onto a nice 11 point buck. As the season started coming to an end it got bitter cold and the deer got much more patternable and I was able to determine where the buck was bedding and feeding. It was down to the wire and hard to get close with no cover and snow. On the last day of the season with 20 below record low temps, and wind chills so dangerous, they were advising not to leave your home, against all odds I went in aggressively for an all or nothing roll of the dice and arrowed that buck right on the last minute of the entire season. We got this... 5 more days. Lets go get a buck! 8-)

I'm in.

(though it doesn't look like we'll get those temps)
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:12 am

I think it's a snow camo kind of day...
20200125_081143.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
----------
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:19 am

dan wrote:
may21581 wrote:I feel your pain dan. You are exactly right. Something should of been said to him anyway. His thoughts were no one was hunting anymore and wasnt hurting anything, in your defense he crossed 3 properties illegally. It wasnt right for this to ruin your hunt or spot because he doesnt respect others. Way to stay after it, I wish you the best with the time remaining on the season.

The neighbor on the far side has been going crazy marking his borders and accusing us on the conservancy of trespassing... I have the feeling this is the guy he is picking up on his trail cams.

Sounds like your spot on. Have you ever talked to this neighbor? Sometimes it does some good and sometimes it doesnt. Maybe there is more going on than you know about.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:25 am

dan wrote:

A little off topic but is the conservancy where you shot the big buck at last year when mario was hunting too? Or is this the spot that joe froze his but off to get to when he saw those big bucks in the remote island? Either way I hope it wasnt one of those spots because by the videos you guys put up and your success in there this would suck. Has anyone found success in those spots again this year?
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:29 am

Your dedication and drive is unmatched by anyone. Stay on the grind

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”