Getting down to the wire...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mbarthelemy

Re: Getting down to the wire...

Unread postby mbarthelemy » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:48 am

"I cant control where my dog runs" Its reasoning like this that further justifies banning the use of dogs for any hunting purposes. I live in Virginia and the use of dogs for deer hunting is pure cancer. It pretty much messes up the month long rifle/shotgun season for anyone that is not using dogs. Prove me wrong: Protip, you cant. The worst part is that there is no legal penalty for some who's dogs run through my property during the hunt.

mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:16 am

its called a shock collar, I can & do have total control over my hounds at all times & so should of this guy, Mike
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:44 am

Good luck Dan! Interesting things can happen when your persistent. Hopefully the big boy sticks around and you get an arrow in him
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:54 am

Its frustrating to say the least when things dont go as planned. Its even more frustrating wanting so badly to go and not physically being able to. Even if you eat a tag this year be grateful for the opportunity to enjoy the hunt. I hope there is more in my future but I dont know and that has put everything in a new perspective for me. Hope you end up tagging one yet and god bless.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:04 pm

Hookslinger wrote:Makes me wonder about all the hardships I will inevitably face as 2020 will be my first season trying public. :shifty:

Hope it works out for you here in the last few days Dan, good luck out there!

As a while it isn't to bad. I probably hunted 35 times on public this year, in three different states. I bet I ran into other people only 3-4 times.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:04 pm

Hookslinger wrote:Makes me wonder about all the hardships I will inevitably face as 2020 will be my first season trying public. :shifty:

Hope it works out for you here in the last few days Dan, good luck out there!

As a whole it isn't too bad. I probably hunted 35 times on public this year, in three different states. I bet I ran into other people only 3-4 times.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:53 am

may21581 wrote:
dan wrote:
may21581 wrote:I feel your pain dan. You are exactly right. Something should of been said to him anyway. His thoughts were no one was hunting anymore and wasnt hurting anything, in your defense he crossed 3 properties illegally. It wasnt right for this to ruin your hunt or spot because he doesnt respect others. Way to stay after it, I wish you the best with the time remaining on the season.

The neighbor on the far side has been going crazy marking his borders and accusing us on the conservancy of trespassing... I have the feeling this is the guy he is picking up on his trail cams.

A little off topic but is the conservancy where you shot the big buck at last year when mario was hunting too? Or is this the spot that joe froze his but off to get to when he saw those big bucks in the remote island? Either way I hope it wasnt one of those spots because by the videos you guys put up and your success in there this would suck. Has anyone found success in those spots again this year?

Its the conservancy I hunted last year and in a lot of past video's. Joe was hunting public land in the hunt you referenced.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:55 am

Mario hunted there yesterday in a different zone. Dogs were in the bedding area running deer when he got there. Later in the hunt they came right under him.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:02 am

dan wrote:
may21581 wrote:
dan wrote:
may21581 wrote:I feel your pain dan. You are exactly right. Something should of been said to him anyway. His thoughts were no one was hunting anymore and wasnt hurting anything, in your defense he crossed 3 properties illegally. It wasnt right for this to ruin your hunt or spot because he doesnt respect others. Way to stay after it, I wish you the best with the time remaining on the season.

The neighbor on the far side has been going crazy marking his borders and accusing us on the conservancy of trespassing... I have the feeling this is the guy he is picking up on his trail cams.

A little off topic but is the conservancy where you shot the big buck at last year when mario was hunting too? Or is this the spot that joe froze his but off to get to when he saw those big bucks in the remote island? Either way I hope it wasnt one of those spots because by the videos you guys put up and your success in there this would suck. Has anyone found success in those spots again this year?

Its the conservancy I hunted last year and in a lot of past video's. Joe was hunting public land in the hunt you referenced.

Ok, the spot you were after the giant buck the biggest one another hunter ever seen, one thought to be a booner which you discovered to be the 150" you chased around and ended up shooting? How do you guys get to hunt those spots? Is it a lottery type system you have to apply for?
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:06 am

may21581 wrote:
dan wrote:
may21581 wrote:
dan wrote:

Ok, the spot you were after the giant buck the biggest one another hunter ever seen, one thought to be a booner which you discovered to be the 150" you chased around and ended up shooting? How do you guys get to hunt those spots? Is it a lottery type system you have to apply for?

Do some research on hunting at conservancy's. Most get grants from the state and have to allow some sort of deer hunting. Most don't allow any other kind of hunting. Some allow anyone to hunt, and some have a drawing, and some make you work for a chance to be in the drawing... A little time on google will put you into these properties for hunting.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:38 am

dan wrote:
may21581 wrote:
dan wrote:
may21581 wrote:
dan wrote:

Do some research on hunting at conservancy's. Most get grants from the state and have to allow some sort of deer hunting. Most don't allow any other kind of hunting. Some allow anyone to hunt, and some have a drawing, and some make you work for a chance to be in the drawing... A little time on google will put you into these properties for hunting.

Yeah prolly never gonna hunt one, I'm pretty busy here in ohio. I just never heard of conservancies prior to listening to you guys talk about them. They do lottery style hunts here for different hunting restricted gamelands not open to the general public.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”