Lone wolf sticks to stand

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Upatreeinwv

Lone wolf sticks to stand

Unread postby Upatreeinwv » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:00 pm

Is the stick talons still the best method of putting sticks on the lone wolf. Anybody came up with a bolt and wingnut method or anything like that? There’s gotta be a better method right. This year I ran the cam buckle to hold them in place but know there’s a better way.

JShea

Re: Lone wolf sticks to stand

Unread postby JShea » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:49 pm

I've used an Assault with 4 sticks for over ten years.
I've always laid them flat against the stand and ran a bungee around the stand and sticks a few times. They don't move or make noise. I throw my pack over top of the stand and sticks and bungee that and away I go.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:16 am

Bungee here too.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:49 am

Upatreeinwv wrote:Is the stick talons still the best method of putting sticks on the lone wolf. Anybody came up with a bolt and wingnut method or anything like that? There’s gotta be a better method right. This year I ran the cam buckle to hold them in place but know there’s a better way.

X2 this cam buckle was my biggest source of noise! I'm following this thread.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:50 am

I stack mine all together, then lay them flat and ratchet them to the stand. I used to use bungees, but I could not get the sticks tight enough to keep from rattling every now again. The ratchet keeps the sticks nice and tight.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
JoeFranchise

Unread postby JoeFranchise » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:55 am

I place my 4 sticks in the intended location, run 2 bungees diagonally for the sticks, backpack on one side of sticks, outer camo on the other, cinch strap (buckle is stealth stripped) around everything (through stand frame at mid point of platform). Zero movement.

Joe
Upatreeinwv

Unread postby Upatreeinwv » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:40 am

I’ve watched so many YouTube videos for lone wolf stand and sticks. Packing and going up a tree. But I need more!
Upatreeinwv

Unread postby Upatreeinwv » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:49 am

And what about that noise setting the sticks. The cam buckle definetly seems best for minimal slippage. I had the lwcg and beast sticks, but I never tested them for noise comparison setting the sticks. My goal is usually go to 20 to 30 feet fast and quiet as possible using 4 to 5 lw sticks. Us lone wolfers/beasters need more stand efficiency. Like a saddlehunter or huntingbeast site, but just devoted to stand packability and set up. What do you think?
Pfunk

Unread postby Pfunk » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:15 pm

Homemade stick talons for me using beam clamps dipped in rubber coating attached to 1” square tubing clips and fastened to the stand with a nice big thumb thumb screw. Then the sticks are held on with shock cord that runs under the stand, up and over the sticks, and then loops around the thumb screw to secure in place. 2 sticks on each side is what I run. I found a pic of the beam clamp and then the finished talons on the stand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:04 am

I use LW's stick quivers. They seemed to get a little hate when they first came out for being noisy and supposedly breaking, but I find that if you take your time attaching/detaching them from the stand and putting on/taking off the sticks, it can be done pretty much in complete silence. I like the way they evenly spread out the weight of the sticks, and create a flat surface to lay other gear on top of. Also, mine haven't broken in 3 seasons of use.

Really, their only drawback in my opinion is that you can't carry the stand up the tree and reach back and pull off a stick to mount like you can with the Talons.
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
cougar

Unread postby cougar » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:03 am

I put two LW sticks down one side of my assault II using stick talons from cbig bear, the 3rd stick goes down the seat post and gets cinched w the LW strap for the stand. I use the rope mod and movable aiders, a double step for the bottom stick and a single step as needed. The aiders are in my pack for travel
row row row your boat, gently down the stream ...
cougar

Unread postby cougar » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:09 am

I put two LW sticks down one side of my assault II using stick talons from cbig bear, the 3rd stick goes down the seat post and gets cinched w the LW strap for the stand. I use the rope mod and movable aiders, a double step for the bottom stick and a single step as needed. The aiders are in my pack for travel
row row row your boat, gently down the stream ...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”