Why Anti Crossbow?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

buttonbuck
500 Club

Why Anti Crossbow?

Unread postby buttonbuck » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:32 am

Please help me understand. I am a fairly new hunter so go easy on me as my comments may come from ignorance. Just bought a compound a couple months ago too.

I am a second year hunter, first year (Cross) bow and love it. However I don't understand why compound bow hunters think that everyone else's weapon of choice should be severely limited because they want to compound bow hunt. What if recurve hunters tried to limit compound bow hunters. Yeah, y'all would freak out. I used a cross bow this year and shot 3 bucks and 6 does, all at 30 yards or under. And as a new hunter it was a great learning tool to get into bow hunting. Now after getting a compound bow I do understand that its more challenging in about every aspect. But its still an arrow and so far in my experience you cant shoot much further accurately (maybe a bit in a clearing). What's the justification for limiting someone in this manor?

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Why Anti Crossbow?

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:44 am

They legalized them in 2009 in Michigan. The arguments off the top of my head were that crossbows aren’t true archery. They also said deer numbers will suffer. That hasn’t happened. They also said it would bring more bad hunters in the woods shooting 100 yds at deer. That may be true but what I’ve seen is most crossbow hunters don’t walk in far and aren’t usually mobile hunters crossbows are heavy and cumbersome. They are a problem walking thru thick areas I’ve hunted with one a few times.There are a few guys on here that are great hunters that shoot a crossbow. I say hunt with what makes you most confident
Last edited by Hawthorne on Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:47 am

It's like the old Muskets vs. an in-line muzzle loader:
New aged in-line can shoot upwards of+200 yards w/ a rifled sabot bullet and moisture doesn't affect it as much.
vs.
50-60 yards with a flint lock Musket and the flint somewhat exposed can create an issue in the rain (as an example)...

Same holds true w/ recurve vs. compound...

If it's legal I wouldn't worry about others thoughts or chest thumping - not worth it.
Those people can just keep their comments about how easy it is with the "higher" level weapons are to themselves.

White noise...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:50 am

Hawthorne wrote:They legalized them in 2009 in Michigan. The arguments off the top of my head were that crossbows aren’t true archery. They also said deer numbers will suffer. That hasn’t happened. They also said it would bring more bad hunters in the woods shooting 100 yds at deer. That may be true but what I’ve seen is most crossbow hunters don’t walk in far and aren’t usually mobile hunters crossbows are heavy and cumbersome.There are a few guys on here that are great hunters that shoot a crossbow. I say hunt with what makes you most confident

I got a single point sling and took any weight right off. I use a lone wolf assault 2 aswell.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:04 am

I think the biggest gripe people have is the draw vs. no draw debate. With a crossbow, you dont have to draw when the animal is in range, the crossbow is always drawn. Have you ever been busted by a deer when drawing a recurve or compound? I know I have.

The other factor in draw vs. no draw is holding at full draw. Its definitely easier to hold a compound at full draw than a recurve, but even the strongest guy has a limit of how long he can hold a bow at full draw. Ever had to let down on a deer after coming to full draw? I know I have.

In my opinion, archery seasons are longer because of the challenge involved of 1. Getting into bow range 2. Difficulty moving (drawing a bow) with an animal in range. I think a lot of guys have a problem with crossbows because the provide an advantage in both of those areas.

Then add in the guys who think because it has a scope and good accuracy that they can take shots they would take with a rifle and that's a whole other issue.

I'm not going to lie, I'm glad crossbows are illegal in Montana without a disability permit. I dont have anything against crossbows themselves, I just think they should have a separate season like muzzleloader. For the record, this is just my opinion, and everyone is entitled to their own.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:11 am

I think it's the case of those against it are vocal about it, those that don't care crossbow hunters are joining their ranks don't say much about the topic.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:12 am

Actually in years past alot of trad shooters didn't like compounds. In Ohio it was the trad shooters that spoke out the most about not allowing xbows, during bow season.

I'm not against those that want to use a xbow. In fact I've been using one myself because of a bad right wing. But the reality of it is. Except for them using the same type of simple machine to launch an arrow. Shooting an xbow really has nothing to do with archery. That's why some bowhunters don't like them in archery seasons.

It goes back to old traditions more than anything else. Primitive bows, like the native Americans made/used. And even those of ancient Europeans were very short range weapons. 15, heck even 10 yards was a long shot. Then when the "modern" era of bowhunting took hold. No matter what style or design of trad bow being used. They were still short range weapons in most bowhunters hands. There's an old saying; "get within 100 yards of your quarry with a rifle. And the hunt is over. Get within 100 yards of your quarry with a bow. And the hunt is just starting."

So alot of bowhunters want to keep archery a short range hunt. Which it basically has stayed. And if you compare it to the long range rifle shooters, now out there. It has despite effective ranges for alot of bowhunters having increased somewhat, because of today's technology.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:26 am

stash59 wrote:Actually in years past alot of trad shooters didn't like compounds. In Ohio it was the trad shooters that spoke out the most about not allowing xbows, during bow season.

I'm not against those that want to use a xbow. In fact I've been using one myself because of a bad right wing. But the reality of it is. Except for them using the same type of simple machine to launch an arrow. Shooting an xbow really has nothing to do with archery. That's why some bowhunters don't like them in archery seasons.

It goes back to old traditions more than anything else. Primitive bows, like the native Americans made/used. And even those of ancient Europeans were very short range weapons. 15, heck even 10 yards was a long shot. Then when the "modern" era of bowhunting took hold. No matter what style or design of trad bow being used. They were still short range weapons in most bowhunters hands. There's an old saying; "get within 100 yards of your quarry with a rifle. And the hunt is over. Get within 100 yards of your quarry with a bow. And the hunt is just starting."

So alot of bowhunters want to keep archery a short range hunt. Which it basically has stayed. And if you compare it to the long range rifle shooters, now out there. It has despite effective ranges for alot of bowhunters having increased somewhat, because of today's technology.

I can understand stand this perspective. When I got my compound I immediately thought “this aint the same at all”. I really appreciate the xbow though, when your using the hunting beast forums and Dan Infalt videos to learn how to hunt, it boosts the confidence that you can execute once on target. Solidifying those lessons learned in blood and not misses.
Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:34 am

I think it’s the challenge, but in NY they allow a Xbow during the last two weeks of bow/our peak rut and all you need to do is buy a muzzleloader permit... you don’t even need to take a bow course. That really bothers me....
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:10 am

I think most hardcore archers will say that they have no desire to hunt with a crossbow, are generally upset how it was suddenly jammed down our throat and feel it takes away from the tradition of the vertical bow season.

Don’t take that as me being anti-crossbow because I’m not but will say that I liked it better when it was only allowed for handicap permits and age 65+ hunters. Honestly I would have like to see the age limit lowered to 55 instead but that ship has sailed a long time ago.

I don’t care if guys choose a crossbow but what bothers me is guys that ONLY buy one because they heard they can double or even triple their shot range on a deer. Bow hunting is supposed to be a short range sport and that is the entire appeal to it. I also don’t like that some buy a crossbow just because they don’t want to take the time to be proficient with a vertical bow. Again the dedication to be a good archer is another trait that will be eventually lost. This saddens me more than anything. It’s heartbreaking to see the vertical bow hunters go away and it really makes me worried for the future of bowhunting.
Bowonly

Unread postby Bowonly » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:17 am

For some it comes down to the amount of time and effort required to be an effective shot on game.

A very dedicated traditional archer may be effective to 20 or so yards.

A good compound shooter might reliably kill out to 30 or 40 yards.

A crossbow hunter can often be deadly at 50 with a small amount of practice.

We as hunter's may feel like our level of dedication to the sport should account for a bigger seat at the table when it comes to season lengths. I'm sure that's not everyone's take but it's just one angle.
Take someone hunting or fishing.
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:21 am

Dewey wrote:I think most hardcore archers will say that they have no desire to hunt with a crossbow, are generally upset how it was suddenly jammed down our throat and feel it takes away from the tradition of the vertical bow season.

Don’t take that as me being anti-crossbow because I’m not but will say that I liked it better when it was only allowed for handicap permits and age 65+ hunters. Honestly I would have like to see the age limit lowered to 55 instead but that ship has sailed a long time ago.

I don’t care if guys choose a crossbow but what bothers me is guys that ONLY buy one because they heard they can double or even triple their shot range on a deer. Bow hunting is supposed to be a short range sport and that is the entire appeal to it. I also don’t like that some buy a crossbow just because they don’t want to take the time to be proficient with a vertical bow. Again the dedication to be a good archer is another trait that will be eventually lost. This saddens me more than anything. It’s heartbreaking to see the vertical bow hunters go away and it really makes me worried for the future of bowhunting.

So perhaps with all the tradition, practice and skill involved in vertical archery. It's hard to stomach competing with someone who is pulling a trigger in a competitive and sometimes short (state dependent) archery season. I can understand that.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:21 am

This is similar to the traditional vs compound debate from way back in the day, isn't it?

I can see all sides of the issue. For me, I'm not fond of the advantages the crossbow brings, but that's my choice, just like I choose to shoot a compound vs a trad bow. If I can persuade my daughter to hunt, she would use one. She liked shooting it at Deerfest.

So I don't begrudge them for being legal during Archery in WI nor anyone from using one. Still gotta do a lot right to get a shot opportunity.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:31 am

Here is the way I look at it.... Im not sure why so many are against crossbows:

- hunter numbers are decreasing across North America..its much easier to introduce someone to the sport with a crossbow
- most guys (and a few gals) I know (later onset hunters) start with a crossbow then they gradually move on to shoot compounds as they evolve as a hunter
- with the current price of housing and real estate..its hard to find a property that allows you the room to shoot 20-30+ yards and stay proficient with a regular bow, hence the necessity for a crossbow for some..
- the anti hunters are after us enough as it is already, so why are we dividing our seasons, dividing us hunters? we need to stay united or hunting will be a thing of the past
- the whole 100+ yard shots crossbow hunters get painted with the brush as taking, I dont know a single guy who does that, every guy I know who hunts crossbow is adamant about upgrading arrows, broadheads, etc for 20-30 yard accuracy, just like the rest of the regular bowhunters do
- many stated the benefits of a crossbow (always at full draw, scope, etc) but you only have one arrow with a crossbow..think about how many times you got a follow up arrow after a miss..that would not happen with a crossbow..

Pros and Cons to everything guys, lets keep our eye on the ball and ensure we are not dividing each other as hunters, we have enough liberal tree hugging anti's out there looking for any ammo we can give them to divide us even further...
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:36 am

Dewey wrote:I think most hardcore archers will say that they have no desire to hunt with a crossbow, are generally upset how it was suddenly jammed down our throat and feel it takes away from the tradition of the vertical bow season.

Alot of the things that you just said was said by traditional hunters when the legalized compounds.

Most guys choose a compound over a vertical bow for the increase in effective range. You see "celebrity" hunters on TV with a compound routinely shoot deer at 60 yards and I have seen some take shots over 100 yards.

The compound bows of today are far different than the compound bows of the 80's and 90's as well. It doesn't take as much shooting to become proficient with them like it used to.

Personally I don't care what anyone uses. I have killed deer with I believe every legal weapon out there except for a traditional bow. I will congratulate someone the same if they are successful regardless of the weapon.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”