Chasing “0”

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Twenty Up
500 Club

Chasing “0”

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:35 pm

With the ATA show bringing about a lot more “Run N Gun” tools now available to us, I’m noticing a trend here.

Instead of companies pushing their new “Scent Elimination” and what-not, an emphasis is being made towards mobile hunters like ourselves. The new objective seems to be attaining “0lbs” or creating the most lightweight set possible.

I’m all for innovation, advancement and becoming more efficient in the deer woods. But please, if you’re a “first Gen” Owner, use your due diligence and ALWAYS wear a safety harness that’s ATTACHED to the tree.

I personally experienced a catastrophic failure and fell out of a tree this season; thankfully aside from being sore, I was completely fine.

Practice with your new equipment, get a “system” down so well that you can do-so efficiently in the dark and always tell friends/family exactly where you’re going to be.

Thanks for listening and good luck scouting :dance:

Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
elk yinzer
500 Club

Re: Chasing “0”

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:24 pm

Say what? Did you post about your failure? Aren't you a podcaster?

The fad...Jekyll me says I've been hunting mobile since I was 12. Never knew another way. Sweet validation that mobile hunting works, if I needed that. I know it works. Always did. Started out with a loggy bayou on my prepubescent shoulders, holy flipper was that 10 pound stand heavy! The latest refinements are great but they've been more incremental than gamechanger. Lots of hype for sure.

Hyde me says I don't want to see any more people back where I want to hunt. Selfish I know. Every year I see more people sign deep. Probably not coincidence that my last two bucks were killed pretty dang close to a road. I'll adapt. At the same time I'm totally cool if this fad dies out ASAP.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:07 pm

What I think is funny is the guys saying “what is everyone making such a big deal over a couple pounds for?”

Every pound matters. I can tell if I leave one of my four sticks in the truck. Some sets I only bring two sticks and shedding that 5 pounds feels REALLY good.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:18 pm

What gets me is the guys carrying a 30 lb spare tire around their waistline and then worry about saving a few pounds in gear weight. :lol:

I’m poking fun at myself as well. I could stand to lose 15-20 lbs. Best part is that weight reduction is absolutely free.

I also agree to be safe out there. I see so many people taking unnecessary risks just to save a few pounds. I have been getting away from aiders after a few real close calls and just carrying an extra stick. It’s just not worth the risk to save the weight of one extra two step stick which is so much safer.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:47 am

I fell out of a tree this year as well, or well down a tree. Have an old trophy line tree saddle I busted out of the basement. Not sure I always get the strap setup quite right but I don’t have any instructions left. Anyway I had my feet planted and used my hands to pull up and take the weight off the strap to adjust it and when I let go to drop back nothing was there. Somehow my clasp opened and I just dropped about 10 ft. Lots of spruce branches slowed me down to a stop. I was straddling them :oops: but had enough heavy gear on there was no pain. I climbed back up the tree, hooked in and kept hunting. It was one of the only trees near a bedding area I could get in. Surely I blew that one out with that maneuver :oops: Gotta figure out a safer system. As you mention twenty up , having a safety harness fastened to the tree can sure go a long way. Had I been in a maple tree or something more typical I would’ve been down. Probably for a long long time.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:55 am

Lockdown wrote:What I think is funny is the guys saying “what is everyone making such a big deal over a couple pounds for?”

Every pound matters. I can tell if I leave one of my four sticks in the truck. Some sets I only bring two sticks and shedding that 5 pounds feels REALLY good.

I think guys get caught up in stand and stick weight. I’ve eliminated all the other extra stuff to cut weight. What I take in the woods now is very limited and I’m always thinking about what else could possibly be left behind. All the extra stuff adds up quick.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
JShea

Unread postby JShea » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:04 am

Wlog wrote:
Lockdown wrote:What I think is funny is the guys saying “what is everyone making such a big deal over a couple pounds for?”

I think guys get caught up in stand and stick weight. I’ve eliminated all the other extra stuff to cut weight. What I take in the woods now is very limited and I’m always thinking about what else could possibly be left behind. All the extra stuff adds up quick.

I don't have issues early season. It's when it starts getting cold and I'm packing in clothes and food for longer or all day sits. You cant skimp on weight then.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:37 am

I’m always looking to go lighter, but I won’t give up safety in the process. If anything I have become more safe since going mobile, not less safe. I have learned so much about climbing gear and rock climbing, and ropes etc. It has all made me become more safe. Before that I would use a climber without a decry harness. I always climbed my presets and did not hook in till I got on stand. Now I am always connected to the tree, and I almost always have multiple point of fall restraint. Anyways just my 2 cents.
raisins

Unread postby raisins » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:43 pm

Even with light equipment, I don't foresee many hunters walking more than a mile and most will stay on trail.

I agree you should always tell someone where you are climbing. With smart phones with GPS that is easy now. I want to buy a satellite device with texting, tracking, and SOS capability. Around $250 plus the monthly plan is like $30 a month, still much cheaper than a satellite phone.

Also agree that you should try to save weight everywhere because all those little subtractions add up. Pre-season workouts with a weighted pack or vest will make your setup feel much lighter.

Just as important as a light setup is having a comfortable system for carrying the stand/etc with most of the weight on your hips. Keeping the pack flat also helps a lot because as you add thickness to your pack not only will it get hung up more in brush but it has more leverage on your upper body to pull backward. For this reason, I ditched my 20L backpack and went to two 9 liter mesh sacks. I can pack these better and flatter against the stand.

Lastly, boot weight is a huge factor for me. You have to lift that weight over and over. I've ditched my rubber and neoprene boots and now wear lighter, lace boots and then put on boot blankets in the tree. I might go with a trail running shoe for early season next year. With the boot blankets and a heat pack in each, I can wear 400 gram boots in 10 F weather and I'm warm.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:47 am

Saving weight for me is important as it allows me to do the same things hunting that I did when I was younger. I’m 54 and I can tell a big difference from even 45 in my stamina/endurance, sweating, etc. Also, I have gained and lost and gained and lost 10-15 pounds over the last few years and I cannot tell any difference. I’m sure there is a difference but I don’t perceive there being a difference. Now I can imagine there is a difference between 10-15 and 30-40 pounds or more. I am always going to be chasing the lightest setups possible for the hunts I do.

Also, it isn’t always about how far you go in to a spot but the terrain you traverse is a huge difference maker. Some of the spots I hunted this year were really rough to get through because of downed trees and getting through thickets.

For me, having lighter setups also enable me to install my stuff more stealthily and quicker.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:54 am

To me reducing bulk is just as important as the weight.

There is also alot to be said for perceived weight vs actual weight. Weight in a good fitting pack isn't as bad as carrying something in your hands. IN a good pack the weight is distributed well across your body.

I could drop some weight too. If I dropped the weight that I should then my gear would be a net 0 for me.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:56 am

Dewey wrote:. I have been getting away from aiders after a few real close calls and just carrying an extra stick. It’s just not worth the risk to save the weight of one extra two step stick which is so much safer.
Right now I just run a single step aider that I put on my bottom stick. This gives me a touch more height, but if I have an issue then I am almost on the ground anyways. It stays attached to that stick.
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:10 am

Dewey wrote:What gets me is the guys carrying a 30 lb spare tire around their waistline and then worry about saving a few pounds in gear weight. :lol:

I think this is an understatement. In my opinion, one of the biggest parts of safety is making sure you're physically capable for the task at hand. Being physically unrepaired is a major risk. If you sign yourself up for a 5k and your preperation is sitting on the couch drinking Budweisers and eating snickerdoodles, "you're gonna have a bad time". Besides the trek in for beast hunting, we should also be prepared for the extraction of the heavy beast himself.

As far as weight, I think anything 15 lbs or less is a good enough setup. I'm a fan of a lock on stand myself, haven't ventured into the saddles yet, but you can't deny the saddle should be your lightest route to go. I don't stress on ounces. I rather cary an extra few ounces of snacks to fuel my body.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:41 am

cspot wrote:
Dewey wrote:. I have been getting away from aiders after a few real close calls and just carrying an extra stick. It’s just not worth the risk to save the weight of one extra two step stick which is so much safer.
Right now I just run a single step aider that I put on my bottom stick. This gives me a touch more height, but if I have an issue then I am almost on the ground anyways. It stays attached to that stick.

I do the same with a swaider and then remove on my way up so it's not dangling in the breeze. I tried a 3 step aider on the bottom and that got a little sketchy a few times on angled trees so I quickly eliminated that.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”