Palmetto Big Woods Bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CajunSwampStalker

Palmetto Big Woods Bedding

Unread postby CajunSwampStalker » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:27 am

Majority of the big woods I’ve been hunting the last two years have been quite challenging. Hardwoods and palmettos as far as the eye can see. I’ve been successful mainly in part due to putting myself where more deer are and where “THE” sign is. But I’m trying to understand more about the mature bucks and how they bed in these areas.
Keep in mind I’ve only been hunting Beast Style two seasons. And actually, only hunting really hard the last three seasons. Life events kept me from hunting years before. Prior to this I would find deer sign, good funnels and transitions and setup immediately. Wasn’t successful at all.
I discovered you guys last season and had the ah ha moment!!! These are my people !!! I’ve never heard of deer hunting referred to as a chess match until I came here. Didn’t have people in my life growing up to teach me about outsmarting deer.

Ok....... so I’ll get to the questions now lol

For the most part I understand the bucks bedding patterns during rut in correlation to doe bedding but other than that i haven’t found any other pieces of the puzzle to these particular woods. Over the last two seasons I jumped two mature bucks, two different times. Both bedded , what looked like random, next to a giant oak tree with palmettos for miles. I’m sure it wasn’t random. Just haven’t been able to go back to these locations to pick it apart yet. No trails to and from that I noticed. Just me ground and pounding tromping around looking for buck beds. Briars and acorns galore so no need for them to venture out for a snack. There are walking trails surrounding these areas with swamp area intertwined. I’m curious to how you guys go about hunting particular beds in these conditions. We’re not allowed to cut plants and trees
to plan my stealth approach. Again just the fact that I’m seeing way more deer than ever is awesome. I’ve had luck setting up on the edges of the swamp transitions to palmettos. Anyway.... I hope that made sense

PK_
500 Club

Re: Palmetto Big Woods Bedding

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:55 am

You are hunting some very difficult terrain there bud.

I wish I had some secret to give you but it is just really excruciatingly tough terrain to hunt, especially for mature bucks, especially outside of the rut.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:20 pm

I hunted similar terrain in College and it was a nightmare. Focus on any terrain or foliage change to create any form of “edge”. Easier said than done down there, but try not to get sucked into the monotonous “sea” or Palmettos.

A wise man once said “You can kill some of the mature bucks some of the time, but you cannot kill all of the mature bucks all of the time.”
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
KRoss480

Unread postby KRoss480 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:22 pm

I’m in the same boat as you, I spend a lot of time in the delta region just across the state line in MS(I’m assuming you’re in Louisiana). I don’t have any secret formula for you, but what I’ve found is the deer like to bed on the edge of the palmettos where more open woods meet the palmettos. That could be a transition from palmettos to open hardwoods, or even palmettos up against a slough. If they feel danger they can slide back into the thicker parts of the palmettos or run across the slough. Most the deer in my area like to bed up against down trees which have kind of beat the palmettos down. I’m still learning along with you, so don’t take my words to the bank.
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
CajunSwampStalker

Unread postby CajunSwampStalker » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:11 am

Twenty Up wrote:I hunted similar terrain in College and it was a nightmare. Focus on any terrain or foliage change to create any form of “edge”. Easier said than done down there, but try not to get sucked into the monotonous “sea” or Palmettos.

A wise man once said “You can kill some of the mature bucks some of the time, but you cannot kill all of the mature bucks all of the time.”

That’s pretty much where I’m at. I’m in no hurry to kill all the mature bucks. Lol Funny ya mention getting sucked into the sea of palmettos. My first experience there was just that. Got turned around pretty bad, almost tagged by a cane brake rattler that I had no idea existed there. Appreciate the response
CajunSwampStalker

Unread postby CajunSwampStalker » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:19 am

KRoss480 wrote:I’m in the same boat as you, I spend a lot of time in the delta region just across the state line in MS(I’m assuming you’re in Louisiana). I don’t have any secret formula for you, but what I’ve found is the deer like to bed on the edge of the palmettos where more open woods meet the palmettos. That could be a transition from palmettos to open hardwoods, or even palmettos up against a slough. If they feel danger they can slide back into the thicker parts of the palmettos or run across the slough. Most the deer in my area like to bed up against down trees which have kind of beat the palmettos down. I’m still learning along with you, so don’t take my words to the bank.

Yes Louisiana. That’s pretty much as far as I’ve gotten with the puzzle. Transitions are key. I’ve had pretty good success on the overlooked areas as well. And by success I mean deer sightings. That is a win in my book compared to the past. Just thought I’d see what fellow Beast had to say. Don’t really think there’s a secret answer. Appreciate the feedback
CajunSwampStalker

Unread postby CajunSwampStalker » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:23 am

PK_ wrote:You are hunting some very difficult terrain there bud.

I wish I had some secret to give you but it is just really excruciatingly tough terrain to hunt, especially for mature bucks, especially outside of the rut.

Speaking from experience down there in Florida right ? Lol
You guys have more of palmettos and thickets with fewer trees , or is it kinda what I’m explaining?
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:45 am

Palmettos are tough. Noisy, thick, unforgiving.

I've done aerial surveys and ground surveys thru the stuff and saw one of the largest FL bucks ever - looked like a photo of some TX buck with antlers sticking out 6 or 8 inches each side of his hams as he ran away from me on a 4 wheeler that I was using to go thru the palmettos. He was right out in the middle of a flat open area.

A place I used to hunt had a stand where all you'd see is the deer's heads as they worked across a palmetto flat. Few guys would hunt the stand cause it was no fun - head here, head there kind of like whack-a-mole.

I've not put in a lot of effort in palmettos cause there are easier places to hunt.
KRoss480

Unread postby KRoss480 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:38 am

CajunSwampStalker wrote:
KRoss480 wrote:I’m in the same boat as you, I spend a lot of time in the delta region just across the state line in MS(I’m assuming you’re in Louisiana). I don’t have any secret formula for you, but what I’ve found is the deer like to bed on the edge of the palmettos where more open woods meet the palmettos. That could be a transition from palmettos to open hardwoods, or even palmettos up against a slough. If they feel danger they can slide back into the thicker parts of the palmettos or run across the slough. Most the deer in my area like to bed up against down trees which have kind of beat the palmettos down. I’m still learning along with you, so don’t take my words to the bank.

Yes Louisiana. That’s pretty much as far as I’ve gotten with the puzzle. Transitions are key. I’ve had pretty good success on the overlooked areas as well. And by success I mean deer sightings. That is a win in my book compared to the past. Just thought I’d see what fellow Beast had to say. Don’t really think there’s a secret answer. Appreciate the feedback

I think you’re on the right track, there’s so many places a deer can bed down here in the south that I think we can’t hunt like most beasts here do. I wouldn’t focus solely on finding individual beds like they do up north. I would focus on an “area” they like to bed and try to hunt the edges or travel routes to/from those areas.
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:41 am

CajunSwampStalker wrote:
PK_ wrote:You are hunting some very difficult terrain there bud.

Speaking from experience down there in Florida right ? Lol
You guys have more of palmettos and thickets with fewer trees , or is it kinda what I’m explaining?

We have both. Much of the state has dry palmetto flats with long leaf pine.

But I figured you are speaking more the the flooded timber and swamp cabbage type palmettos? We have plenty of that stuff down here too and just from following and talking to other guys on here who hunt that stuff in LA and other parts of the south, it is just real, real hard.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
OldMtnMan

Unread postby OldMtnMan » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:22 am

You have me curious. What is the Beast Style Hunting?
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:34 am

As PK mentioned. Plenty of that stuff in Florida. I have noticed the same thing about the big oaks....so much i will almost assume there is a bed there if i am in a area with deer. I have also shot a few bucks in this terrain. It is hard to find a rhyme or reason why they are bedding or how they are getting there. Just seems very random. I am sure that is not the case....we just haven't figured it out yet.
Anyways, one thing that has helped me ID a lot of these beds was when i shoot one especially if it is a **bad shot....the deer seems to take you to every bedding area he knows if you are able to track him. As i am tracking him i mark these beds or bedding areas on my map. Then i can start to understand why these beds may be in these areas and start looking at ways to duplicate an area.

I am sure not the answer you are looking for. Just wanted to say i noticed the big oak pattern and also what has helped me understand some of the bedding.

**also want to mention that i am not advocating poor shots....just trying to make lemonade out of lemons when it happens.
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
CajunSwampStalker

Unread postby CajunSwampStalker » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:03 pm

Rich M wrote:Palmettos are tough. Noisy, thick, unforgiving.

I've done aerial surveys and ground surveys thru the stuff and saw one of the largest FL bucks ever - looked like a photo of some TX buck with antlers sticking out 6 or 8 inches each side of his hams as he ran away from me on a 4 wheeler that I was using to go thru the palmettos. He was right out in the middle of a flat open area.

A place I used to hunt had a stand where all you'd see is the deer's heads as they worked across a palmetto flat. Few guys would hunt the stand cause it was no fun - head here, head there kind of like whack-a-mole.

I've not put in a lot of effort in palmettos cause there are easier places to hunt.

Yes exactly!! What amazes me is how they walk so stealthily through these palmettos!!
That’s the part I like is the challenge and not many people hunting these woods. Not to mention those big slobs lurking with stickers all over their heads :D
CajunSwampStalker

Unread postby CajunSwampStalker » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:06 pm

KRoss480 wrote:
CajunSwampStalker wrote:

Appreciate the response. Just know the feeling that will proceed after finding one and saying, you sneaky little boogers, I’m in to ya lol. That’s gotta be rewarding!!

I think you’re on the right track, there’s so many places a deer can bed down here in the south that I think we can’t hunt like most beasts here do. I wouldn’t focus solely on finding individual beds like they do up north. I would focus on an “area” they like to bed and try to hunt the edges or travel routes to/from those areas.
CajunSwampStalker

Unread postby CajunSwampStalker » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:14 pm

Eddiegomes83 wrote:As PK mentioned. Plenty of that stuff in Florida. I have noticed the same thing about the big oaks....so much i will almost assume there is a bed there if i am in a area with deer. I have also shot a few bucks in this terrain. It is hard to find a rhyme or reason why they are bedding or how they are getting there. Just seems very random. I am sure that is not the case....we just haven't figured it out yet.
Anyways, one thing that has helped me ID a lot of these beds was when i shoot one especially if it is a **bad shot....the deer seems to take you to every bedding area he knows if you are able to track him. As i am tracking him i mark these beds or bedding areas on my map. Then i can start to understand why these beds may be in these areas and start looking at ways to duplicate an area.

I am sure not the answer you are looking for. Just wanted to say i noticed the big oak pattern and also what has helped me understand some of the bedding.

**also want to mention that i am not advocating poor shots....just trying to make lemonade out of lemons when it happens.

Appreciate your response. That’s where I’m sure many of the pieces will come together. Back tracking after the kill. While cleaning up the skull on my buck last year I noticed tree bark embedded in his horns.....after closer inspecting I realized it was evergreen of some sort .... not many of those in these big hard woods :D 8-) Another ah ha moment.

Appreciate everyone’s response if I hadn’t mentioned it yet.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”