Hard Headed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NorthStar
500 Club

Hard Headed

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:58 am

I am certain there have been many topics around this but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for so here we go...

Since joining the Hunting Beast, I have heard consistent messages, that lead to success, around scouting, hunting the edge, going where others won't/don't, etc. For some reason it took me such a long time to actually put these methods into practice. My "hard headedness" kept me from listening and applying these principles. Its almost like I wanted to try and prove them wrong even though I was seeking to understand by watching the videos, listening to the podcasts, and soaking up everything I could from this forum.

I have made a lot of progress in the last year. My recent commitment to scouting is a good example of this progress but I still struggle with one of the methods that I hear a lot about from the Beast, Observation Sits. I am really not trying to make excuses, but like others, I don't have a lot of time to hunt. I get about 15-20 sits a year and very rarely do I get back to back days. Having said this, its not like I am having a lot of success either so I know I can hunt smarter.

Does anyone else struggle with the idea of trading an aggressive set up for an observation sit? If so, what words of wisdom do you have for someone like me?

“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Lockdown

Re: Hard Headed

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:23 am

I struggled with it a lot until I saw the benefits first hand.

Start out observing mid summer and IMHO there’s no better time to observe than the week prior to season. FREE INTEL.

I look at in season observations as an investment. My chances for a kill go down today, but go up for every day after that. Sometimes I’ll observe when I don’t have enough time to find hot sign and sneak into bedding. In that scenario, and observation is a no brainer vs staying home because you don’t have enough time to hunt.

I also like to observe when I’m trying to get a feel for a property. Sometimes I’m not sure where the best doe bedding or buck bedding is. In that case there is a lot to learn with an observation even if you can’t hunt the next day. Burying yourself in a thick spot only teaches you about a small area. You never know what you might learn when you use visibility to your advantage.

I haven’t done a ton of in season observing, but whether it be then or pre-season, I can’t recall regretting my decision to observe.

Picking solid observation stands is one of the focal points of my scouting missions.
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:41 am

I don’t have a ton of time to hunt as well, but I consider observation sits as hunting. It actually seems more important if you have limited time because you don’t have as many opportunities to screw up. That’s just the way I look at it and it really builds my confidence to a new level if I actually watch and confirm what’s going on. Makes you feel super confident when going in after you know exactly what he should be doing.
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:19 am

Observation sits can still keep you in the game for a potential shot too.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:36 am

I look at it like this.... prior to the little bit of knowledge I have gained here, I spent a lot of time hunting observation sits but I just didn't call it that. I observed on our property that the deer do this or that, so we need to move closer to this spot or that spot to have a better shot at them. Because the stand I'm sitting in is 100 yards away from where I see them going in and out of the brush. Hunting hoping something walks by me but seeing them way over there.... or "observation sit", what's the difference? lol.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:15 am

Huntress13 wrote:I look at it like this.... prior to the little bit of knowledge I have gained here, I spent a lot of time hunting observation sits but I just didn't call it that. I observed on our property that the deer do this or that, so we need to move closer to this spot or that spot to have a better shot at them. Because the stand I'm sitting in is 100 yards away from where I see them going in and out of the brush. Hunting hoping something walks by me but seeing them way over there.... or "observation sit", what's the difference? lol.

The only difference I am aware of is that you were actually seeing deer, ha!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:23 am

NorthStar wrote:
Huntress13 wrote:I look at it like this.... prior to the little bit of knowledge I have gained here, I spent a lot of time hunting observation sits but I just didn't call it that. I observed on our property that the deer do this or that, so we need to move closer to this spot or that spot to have a better shot at them. Because the stand I'm sitting in is 100 yards away from where I see them going in and out of the brush. Hunting hoping something walks by me but seeing them way over there.... or "observation sit", what's the difference? lol.

The only difference I am aware of is that you were actually seeing deer, ha!

Sometimes. We have quite a bit of bedding though. Then it's just a crap shoot trying to figure out which way they are entering or exiting it.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”