Wolves coming south?will this effect deer herds?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Denisboyko22

Re: Wolves coming south?will this effect deer herds?

Unread postby Denisboyko22 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:42 pm

Found this also in kewaskum a few miles from where I spotted the wolf , i know their home range can be pretty big,but this set of tracks was following a road with woods on both sides but i didnt see any human tracks in the snow so i didnt think it could've been a dog. I also had my buddies dad up in black river falls at 4 am come face to face with a wolf heading to his tree and it wouldn't run off almost like it was challenging him and showing it wasn't scared of him but then just walked off. Just alittle concerned with them, knowing the damage they can do when theres a pack of them around up north by your private and how quick they take out deer and sometimes do it for sport. I wouldn't be as worried if the dnr also didnt give out free doe tags like candy on Halloween. They gotta fix one or another either open wolf season or less doe tags .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BorealBushMN

Unread postby BorealBushMN » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:50 pm

headgear wrote:
Wolves have huge home ranges, even in the heart of wolf country sighting are rare. I have gone decades between wolf sightings, they are there but they aren't thick like coyotes. Certainly when they are around you will know, adapt to the pressure any way you can.

I see at least a few every year. I think I’m up to around 6 for this year. In 2012-2013 I saw over 20 in a years time. They are thicker than snot on a toddlers face up here.

I’m cool with having them, but really wish the Feds would quit getting pushed around by animal rights judges and let the states and their DNR agencies manage them.
Bird

Unread postby Bird » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:43 am

I am in Minnesota, and they are pushing south here also. I live about 30 minutes north of downtown Minneapolis. In taking my 105lb German Shepard for a walk in a 800 acre park near our house, I noticed a big set of tracks we were following. I took a picture for comparison. My Shepard's tracks are on the right, and what looks like a wolf track is to the left of his. I don't know what else this track would be from, but if this is the case, they are a lot further south in MN that ever before also.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:22 am

Dewey wrote:
mike_mc wrote:https://wisconsinwolfhunt.com/index.php/forum/in-the-news/63-wolf-kills-by-county-12-28-13

Here's a map of that shows the counties where wolves were killed when we had hunts.

One in Vilas County really shocks me. There are a good number of wolves up there.

The kills in Columbia County tells the story of the lone wolves spotted in Dodge/Washington Counties. They are pushing into this area from time to time from the west and northwest.

Just because one was killed doesn't mean they aren't there. Could be a lack of hunters/trappers in vilas who were after wolves or even those who had a tag. The Columbia county surprises me though.

I read a wolf management plan that MN biologists created years ago. One point will always stick with me. Wolves are not easy creatures to kill. They are survivors and are normally shy. Just because you have 400 kill tags, it doesn't mean you will always fill them all. In my opinion I think trapping them is the best way to kill them. I know a avid trapper and in 2014 he set over 200 traps on a line for wolves and got two in two days. One he let go and one his daughter shot.

From the rumors I am hearing more and more, locals are taking matters in their own hands. They are not counting on the government to help with the wolf numbers. I can't blame them either.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:12 am

Bird wrote:I am in Minnesota, and they are pushing south here also. I live about 30 minutes north of downtown Minneapolis. In taking my 105lb German Shepard for a walk in a 800 acre park near our house, I noticed a big set of tracks we were following. I took a picture for comparison. My Shepard's tracks are on the right, and what looks like a wolf track is to the left of his. I don't know what else this track would be from, but if this is the case, they are a lot further south in MN that ever before also.

Your 100 lb Shepherd does not have small feet. Not many dogs are going to be bigger than that other than a Mastiff or Dane. I don't see how that track to the left is anything but a wolf.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:46 am

Bird wrote:I am in Minnesota, and they are pushing south here also. I live about 30 minutes north of downtown Minneapolis. In taking my 105lb German Shepard for a walk in a 800 acre park near our house, I noticed a big set of tracks we were following. I took a picture for comparison. My Shepard's tracks are on the right, and what looks like a wolf track is to the left of his. I don't know what else this track would be from, but if this is the case, they are a lot further south in MN that ever before also.

That is a big paw!
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:10 am

My biggest concern with wolves is the toll they take on mature bucks. They target mature bucks at a higher rate than even fawns and yearlings from my understanding. It’s hard enough to get some bucks with age! then you got the wolves going to town on em after they’re worn down from the rut and in rough shape with winter and deep snow upon them.

Several old timers I’ve had conversations with note a drop in mature bucks since wolves got thick in the area.. also heard a podcast where Greg Miller mentioned the toll they took on mature animals in Wisconsin’s big woods.

I do think they would be very very challenging to kill.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:47 am

If it’s any consolation CO is voting on reintroducing wolves to their state
Cause they are an apex predator and nature’s balance and such

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/know-gray-wol ... ories.html
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:05 am

Just found this article in the latest issue of Wisconsin Outdoor News. Not sure how scientific this is but betting it’s not real far off. Wolves are killing machines.

Hopefully this is clear enough to read.

Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:37 am

I don’t know about wolfs it’s not like you can blame them for doing what they do but man does it hurt when going after bucks and then they just up and vanish on you.

Iva had a few Bucks over the years just disappear.

In 2017 I was going after this old buck probably a 7.5 year old could have been a 8.5 year old buck. At least I was able to find the wolf kill site. And not waste any more of my time hunting him.

Wolf pic has 7 or 8 wolfs in it from this year luckily I was able to kill my the buck I was going after before the wolfs got to him. Sorry it’s kinda hard to make out the wolfs.
Denisboyko22

Unread postby Denisboyko22 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:07 pm

Dewey wrote:Just found this article in the latest issue of Wisconsin Outdoor News. Not sure how scientific this is but betting it’s not real far off. Wolves are killing machines.

Hopefully this is clear enough to read.

Adam's county I know for a fact is way off , I've talked to many locals in the area since I travel up there alot and the wolves did a huge hurting on the deer population in some parts and theres wolves everywhere in that county , I've found dead younger bucks on the private farm and theres wolf tracks everywhere , also a few mountain lion you'll see but they aren't a problem since they are so scarce
Bird

Unread postby Bird » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:14 am

greenhorndave wrote:

Your 100 lb Shepherd does not have small feet. Not many dogs are going to be bigger than that other than a Mastiff or Dane. I don't see how that track to the left is anything but a wolf.

Needless to say, we followed it as far as we could, went across the river at one point onto a private farm. Was wondering if we would find a deer kill site on the way, but no such luck. Makes a guy think while out on a walk without a weapon though.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”