Closing down my 2019-20 Tennessee Season

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Closing down my 2019-20 Tennessee Season

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:50 am

Well I brought my TN season to an end on a positive note tonight. No shots were taken, but I was as aggressive this pass week as I could've been. It paid off because I was in the deer almost every hunt. Kept hearing from friends the deer were all nocturnal....well I just had to go and find them! If I would have had a buck tag, I also ran across two shooters in my aggressiveness too.

I feel like I have learned a lot this season. I stepped outside my comfort zone (A LOT) and tried a bunch of new things. FAILED a bunch, but gained knowledge from my trials and errors. I tried a couple new things this year that proved to be a really powerful tactic for me moving forward.

Next Season: well next season starts tomorrow. Time to get in and see the where what when and why of the bucks I seen this season that got a pass or didn't present a shot. Time to hit scouting hard.

Next season plans are going to hopefully be taking me to a few states outside TN

Just wanted to say I have really enjoyed the 2019-20 season, and grateful for all the encouragement and support from the Beast and the friends on here!

cspot
500 Club

Re: Closing down my 2019-20 Tennessee Season

Unread postby cspot » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:53 am

backstraps wrote:Well I brought my TN season to an end on a positive note tonight. No shots were taken, but I was as aggressive this pass week as I could've been. It paid off because I was in the deer almost every hunt. Kept hearing from friends the deer were all nocturnal....well I just had to go and find them! If I would have had a buck tag, I also ran across two shooters in my aggressiveness too.

I feel like I have learned a lot this season. I stepped outside my comfort zone (A LOT) and tried a bunch of new things. FAILED a bunch, but gained knowledge from my trials and errors. I tried a couple new things this year that proved to be a really powerful tactic for me moving forward.

Next Season: well next season starts tomorrow. Time to get in and see the where what when and why of the bucks I seen this season that got a pass or didn't present a shot. Time to hit scouting hard.

Next season plans are going to hopefully be taking me to a few states outside TN

Just wanted to say I have really enjoyed the 2019-20 season, and grateful for all the encouragement and support from the Beast and the friends on here!

Sounds like a good season and that your aggression paid off. Would you say you were more aggressive the last week than you were earlier in the season? Sounds like you already have a good start on next year with 2 shooters located that should be alive.

I for sure was more aggressive last couple weeks than the entire season.
That is due to a couple reasons....
1) The biggest reason is I was tagged out on bucks. I was only doe hunting. Except for when I was trying to help my daughter kill one she has been wanting.
2) I try and target a few bucks each season. So when I have a few in mind I want to kill, I really have to play cautiously on the smaller parcels of private, to reduce the risk of pushing them in front of the neighbors stands.
When I hunt public though, I hunt as aggressive and more so than I have the last couple weeks. Our public land is steep and low density, so I know I have to locate and hunt them fast.

When I go out of state hunting, 80% of my hunts are on public, I hunt as hard and aggressive as I can. I hunt the private out of state pieces even more aggressive, because I typically have a better understanding of their patterns and resources from year to year. Being there for 4-7 days doesnt allow a lot of time to be passive for me
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:13 pm

Sounds like an awesome season and some great learning on top of it. Man I feel sorry for those deer you have on your radar for next year! :lol:

I got more aggressive this year as well and really had some fun, so I know what you’re saying there. Good luck on your scouting and looking forward to hearing your findings. Did your daughter ever end up having any luck? I know you said she was so close a few times. Congrats to you on a great season.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:32 pm

hunting_dad wrote:Sounds like an awesome season and some great learning on top of it. Man I feel sorry for those deer you have on your radar for next year! :lol:

I got more aggressive this year as well and really had some fun, so I know what you’re saying there. Good luck on your scouting and looking forward to hearing your findings. Did your daughter ever end up having any luck? I know you said she was so close a few times. Congrats to you on a great season.

Thanks I appreciate it! I hunted more days this season than I thought I was going to get to. I was truly blessed with a great season. Was able to stay safe, have a lot of fun and take a couple nice bucks.

My daughter hunted him hard. I am really proud of her. She is "upping" her game hunting and on scouting too. Planning on hitting it hard with me post season. She still have one really tough semester coming up then hopefully time will be easier for her to find.

We did had an afternoon with a great wind, and a perfect entrance. We got on him, and my daughter is an awesome shot....but he ended up skirting maybe 40 yards off us onto private property we cannot hunt. We haven't seen him since. I am going to litter his core's perimeter this coming weekend with cams and let them soak until turkey season. Hope he made it through. I have watched him and kept tabs last two years, so the cameras really should let me know if he is still around.

I hope you have a great post season as well. Looking forward to what you come up with as well.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:55 pm

backstraps wrote:Well I brought my TN season to an end on a positive note tonight. No shots were taken, but I was as aggressive this pass week as I could've been. It paid off because I was in the deer almost every hunt. Kept hearing from friends the deer were all nocturnal....well I just had to go and find them! If I would have had a buck tag, I also ran across two shooters in my aggressiveness too.

:clap:
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”