a compass...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hatchetman

a compass...

Unread postby Hatchetman » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:23 am

For me, it's a "never leave home without one" when it comes to pre or post season scouting.

Not so much that I'm afraid of getting turned around, (although it comes in handy to avoid that) it's more for knowing exactly the way the land lays when I've found a spot I may want to set up on in the future and I'm trying to decide on the best tree or ground set up location.

A lot of us, myself included, have experienced the advantage of setting up "just off wind".
Yes, wind swirls, back drafts or is just outright bass-akwards in certain spots so it's not fool proof by any means but if you do it enough you come to distinguish the spots that are better than others.

I consider myself good at knowing my direction in the woods but on cloudy days, I will admit, it can be easy to get a few clicks off. A few clicks off, when setting up with a just off wind on a buck bed or staging area or whatever the sign may be, can make the difference between it working or not.

Just something to consider trying if you don't already do this as we all try to refine our tactics...

P&YBuck1
500 Club

Re: a compass...

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:58 am

I agree, a compass to me is still a vital tool too.

I sometimes use it to cross known swamps since without it I tend to make a big circle or make a long diagonal trek, so this keeps me on a straight line.

I have GPS but I am old school with worrying about batteries going dead or tree cover making signal go down, so always have trusty compass.
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:10 pm

Agreed. Great for seeing how wind actually travels compared to the dominant wind. Great for understanding the terrain and makes for a quicker exit when you've been meandering through the big stuff for 4 or 5 hours and the sun is starting to go down!

As far as getting lost I've got a pretty good sense of things if I'm picking the route but its amazing how turned around I can get following deer trails!
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:43 am

I agree a compass is a must.
Often I lose cell signal and Navigation can be difficult.
We have alot of transitions and big woods alot of spots look alike.

Since I started carrying a button compass I havent been turned around. It is also great for using when finding a buck bed to determine the exact direction the buck is facing.

I've seen alot of beds shift like on a southeast tip of a point.
I think a compass has helped me better determine which bed is being used that day.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”