New cloths

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Moose
500 Club

New cloths

Unread postby Moose » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:25 am

Happy New Year everyone! Im in need of some new hunting cloths or atleast my outter shell. I figure with the season about over i may find something on sale. I like the thought of of the iwom and hbs style but looks like it would be a pain for a mobile hunter and i muzzleload from the ground at times. I dont really have a budget but also dont like spending money unnecessarily. I know theres alot of opinions out there on what everyone seems to like and how they hunt. I hunt in iowa, the clodest i have been out is -40 windchill and i lasted 1 hr. When it gets below 0 can you really stay comfortable or is everyone chilly no matter what you wear? I keep going back to the iwom, heater body suit, articsheild body suit but just looks difficult the way i hunt or maybe im over thinking it. Thanks!

Mopar1169
500 Club

Re: New cloths

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:37 am

Quite a bit of info on cold weather clothes in this thread if you haven't seen it.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=53396
eazyduzit94

Unread postby eazyduzit94 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:21 am

When it gets cold, you either get cold and dont last long or bulk up and last a while longer. I have yet to find a suit and pant that doesnt make me sweat my off then freeze me when all my heat escapes. I was skeptical of the IWOM at first because of the bulk/ limited mobility aspect. You can actually move better than I thought with it on. I brought my IWOM along on Iowa's coldest day this bow season for a hang and hunt. I was warm and toasty in it but didnt practice with it on as much as I should have. Cost me a buck. Hit him a ways back after catching my string on part of the suit. I was in pretty tight quarters up in a cedar tree with not much room to stand up and shift. These suits are a lot better than the "late season" pants and jacket combos imo. They just hold your body heat in better, pack better, and are cheaper. Practice with them is key though. Goodluck on your search.
If shooting 130's was a sport, I'd have a gold medal.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:47 am

Sorry to hear about your buck. I like idea of the arms of the iwom. Ive read in other fourms people say its loud if your against a tree.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:00 am

Moose wrote:Sorry to hear about your buck. I like idea of the arms of the iwom. Ive read in other fourms people say its loud if your against a tree.

That’s easy enough to fix. Wrap a piece of camo fabric around the tree. I use a Bark Silencer that straps on the tree from Uncle Lou. Don’t believe he makes them anymore. Easy enough to make yourself.

The IWOM is great. Kinda wish I was using mine today. This wind is stronger than I thought.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:31 am

How much room do your legs have when its all zipped up? Looks like it could be pretty restrictive. One really cold days do you still have to do alot of base layers? Thanks for the replies!
MNarrow

Unread postby MNarrow » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:27 am

I sold my HBS when I tried the Arctic Shield suit for the season. I try not to bust it out though unless it's terribly cold. I've been having good success layering under the Sitka Stratus jacket/bibs with a North Face Thermoball jacket and Sitka synthetic base layer and Minus33 wool base layer down to about 15 degrees.
eazyduzit94

Unread postby eazyduzit94 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:04 pm

Moose wrote:How much room do your legs have when its all zipped up? Looks like it could be pretty restrictive. One really cold days do you still have to do alot of base layers? Thanks for the replies!

I think I can spread my feet out around a foot in it from a normal sitting position. I can easily stand and turn around 360 degrees on my platform with the legs zipped up. I think with the windchill it was around 0 degrees out when I used mine. All I had on under the IWOM was a thin fleece base layer, pair of cargo pants and a carhartt hoodie. Yes, the suit can make some noise if you brush up against trees with loose bark but that's expected with most water/windproof late season clothes. Usually I wear mine when its windy out anyway so it's not a huge deal.
If shooting 130's was a sport, I'd have a gold medal.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:47 pm

Thanks! Thats the stuff i was wanting to now! I really appreciate it. I wonder if it ever goes on sale?
raisins

Unread postby raisins » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:36 am

Moose wrote:Happy New Year everyone! Im in need of some new hunting cloths or atleast my outter shell. I figure with the season about over i may find something on sale. I like the thought of of the iwom and hbs style but looks like it would be a pain for a mobile hunter and i muzzleload from the ground at times. I dont really have a budget but also dont like spending money unnecessarily. I know theres alot of opinions out there on what everyone seems to like and how they hunt. I hunt in iowa, the clodest i have been out is -40 windchill and i lasted 1 hr. When it gets below 0 can you really stay comfortable or is everyone chilly no matter what you wear? I keep going back to the iwom, heater body suit, articsheild body suit but just looks difficult the way i hunt or maybe im over thinking it. Thanks!

Check out the clothing made by midwayusa. You can filter by brand at their site and just select their store brand.

They've basically copied Under Armour clothing but at a much cheaper price (especially when it goes on sale). It is very well made and I'm very happy with it. If you want something extremely warm, then look at the Fraser Ridge coat and bibs. Fraser Ridge is a thinner, tough fleece exterior, then windproof layer, and then a thick internal fleece layer that has good loft.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:57 am

Check here, check archery talk especially...you can used but almost always in excellent condition items much cheaper than new. Just have to be patient and ready to strike quickly before someone else snaps it up.

Also, there is more info on how to stay warm online than you could ever need to know. Just google staying warm bowhunting or whatever. The other thing is don’t confine yourself to just camo clothes. There are many non-hunted related options for base and mid-layers out there. I actually prefer non-camo layers except for my outer layer so I can wear stuff to work or wherever and get more of my money out of piece. For example I have some quarter zip merino and fleece pullovers that I wear hunting and to work. I have one ll bean fleece hoody that I only wear when it’s below zero (hunting) because it’s so warm. I bought that at a consignment shop for $10...sold on eBay for $90! Just saying there are a lot of resources for stuff if you can take your time and build your outfits mindfully.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:36 am

Moose wrote:Thanks! Thats the stuff i was wanting to now! I really appreciate it. I wonder if it ever goes on sale?

This one just went up for sale.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=53475
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:23 am

Thank you!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:06 am

Dewey wrote:
Moose wrote:Sorry to hear about your buck. I like idea of the arms of the iwom. Ive read in other fourms people say its loud if your against a tree.

That’s easy enough to fix. Wrap a piece of camo fabric around the tree. I use a Bark Silencer that straps on the tree from Uncle Lou. Don’t believe he makes them anymore. Easy enough to make yourself.

I was wrong. Bark Silencers are still available. 8-)

The small one is really all you need.

https://www.stealthoutdoors.com/product ... silencers/
Fozzy

Unread postby Fozzy » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:09 pm

I have used the IWOM for the last 6 years. During gun season it has been truly worth it. You don’t have to overdress walking in, so I am not sweating when I get to the stand. I then put the suit on at the base of the tree and then climb to the stand. While a couple in my group have moved to heated blinds, this suit makes it easy for all day hunts during gun season and beyond. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”