Dog pressure and deer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dave0317

Dog pressure and deer

Unread postby Dave0317 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:57 pm

Anybody have experience hunting areas where hunting deer with dogs is legal? Do dogs seem to pressure deer into different areas than people would? Last couple times I have been out, I haven’t seen a thing. It’s middle of the gun/with dogs season in Mississippi. You think they are really laying low or maybe pushed onto private land where dogs aren’t used? Not even talking about mature bucks, deer in general seem to have made themselves real scarce now. Any tips or advice?

Babshaft
500 Club

Re: Dog pressure and deer

Unread postby Babshaft » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:41 am

What type of terrain are you hunting?

There's extensive dog hunting where I am located. My experience has been that hounds don't like swimming. The deer here use water to their advantage and escape across or into it.
Dave0317

Unread postby Dave0317 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:47 am

I’d call it hill country, not many wide or deep rivers, but plenty of creeks with areas of swampy land, mostly caused by beaver activity flooding a small area.

That is really good to know though. I assumed dogs would pretty much go anywhere deer would. There are a few areas where creeks and strips of swampy land might create some sanctuaries. I’ll be focusing some effort on finding those.
Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:03 pm

Look for water as it creates a barrier. Otherwise, try to use the dogs to your advantage instead of avoiding them if you can.
fenderbender62

Unread postby fenderbender62 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:03 pm

Im in Eastern VA and they run dogs everywhere, even on most public WMA's

Most of the time deer vacate the area for property or overlooked area that isnt getting dog pressure. In general they'll find cover that dogs dont want to navigate, whether its water or the thickest nastiest briars you can imagine. Any deer that is 1.5 or older and has survived a full gun season with dog pressure has done so by learning to hold tight in their beds even with dogs or humans near by. You literally have to kick them out of their beds or they wont move until after dark. By not moving theyre not leaving a scent trail for the dogs to catch on to.

Get a shotgun with buckshot and start putting on some boot miles in the thick and wet areas and be ready for a running shot at any moment.
what one man can do another can do
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:17 am

fenderbender62 wrote:Get a shotgun with buckshot and start putting on some boot miles in the thick and wet areas and be ready for a running shot at any moment.

This is Really the best advice. Even in areas that don’t have deer dogs, generally on public land you get some rabbit, squirrel or upland dogs at some point in the season.

Even if you don’t get dogs, this is still the best way to really truth out bedding areas for in season use.Especially thick areas where observation isn’t possible. Bucks will leave sign in lots of thick areas wether it’s doe bedding or secure travel routes, but there is no better confirmation than seeing where he is truly holed up when the pressure hits.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Dave0317

Unread postby Dave0317 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:51 am

Great advice. Thanks.
I went out yesterday and hung my saddle at the end of a ridge near some water. I had seen a group with dogs more than a mile away and it looked like they were working the other direction from where I wanted to go. I get set up, and like 8 beagles are at my feet a moment later.

The chased a coyote by a few minutes later. Then a doe, which I would like to shoot for the meat, but it was at a full sprint about 100 yards away with intermittent visibility in the timber.

The dogs crossed the water near where I was, but it was shallow and full of logs from beaver activity. So the dogs kind of hopped from log to log.

It was an amusing hunt, and I am not anti-dog or anything, but next year I am going to focus on filling my freezer much earlier in the season. Bow and primitive rifle.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”