Do bucks drop down, or go up in evening?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Do bucks drop down, or go up in evening?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:22 pm

Just wondering if there is more frequent pattern here. These bucks are bedded 1/2 to 3/4 elevation. Feeding on corn piles down low and small plots and oaks up high. Which one are you betting on late season? I saw doe groups go high, didnt try low yet to see what going on.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Do bucks drop down, or go up in evening?

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:30 pm

They go which ever direction they feel like in the evening. scouting is the only way to determine it.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:16 pm

Bottoms are harder to hunt.... they can do either. I’d stick to hunting higher with predictable wind and good access.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:17 pm

In my areas I've seen alot more bucks cruise low.

It might be because of pressure up high. More hunter, human activity and logging up high.

When most bucks get up the last hour the thermals are dropping off the sides of the hills.

I've sat many times overlooking the thermal tunnel trail but I have seen very few deer ever use it.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:20 am

In my experience it’s driven by whatever is their fancy at the time. If it’s agriculture food and that is down low, I’d look low diets. If it’s above, look above. Same goes for doe bedding during the rut.

Rubs outside the bedroom could give you an idea, of course tracks if you can find them. If you can find his primary bedding and then a rub line coming out of it this tells you. Same thing coming back in.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:22 am

Bucky wrote:Bottoms are harder to hunt.... they can do either. I’d stick to hunting higher with predictable wind and good access.

Good point.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:20 am

Bucky wrote:Bottoms are harder to hunt.... they can do either. I’d stick to hunting higher with predictable wind and good access.

I access from the bottom but waay off to the side. There is no pressure on top, and the bottom pressure is really far w corn piles from neighbors. The ridge top is about 10% of the forest area, the rest is hillside and bottom. There is a little old clover plot up there that I saw a bunch of doe in last weekend. I suspect the best buck bedding is on a point nearly halfway down that overlooks a huge thermal hub. The point drops sharply on caltopo right there at the end of point, and is extremely thick just above this point w old cleacut and briars. I can hunt the bottom sneaking up the back of a perpendicular point, to maybe see bucks come down. But could see far and maybe learn. The top is limited view, but has the plot where all the doe were going. The thermals are huge here with a north facing slope they seem to start earlier and are strong. Maybe I'll try both on evening hunt this weekend and learn something.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:24 am

dan wrote:

Good point.

Thanks. I may try high first and if nothing big shows I'll either stalk the bedding the next day or hunt low on the second try.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”