Virginia Public Land Challenge

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Randtheman
Facebook: Randy Jackson

Re: Virginia Public Land Challenge

Unread postby Randtheman » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:01 am

I'm located in Raleigh, NC and will be interested in going. Depends on when it is and if I will be off on that weekend or not.

redz

Unread postby redz » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:14 am

VAHunting.jpg

Interesting topic, since I'm located in Central Maryland. I did a quick search of Eastern Virginia public hunting grounds and found this map. The shaded areas with the diagonal lines are supposed to be "best bet" for deer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Huntin, fishin, lovin everyday...
loganB85
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/brent.cannon.7

Unread postby loganB85 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:28 am

redz wrote:VAHunting.jpg

Interesting topic, since I'm located in Central Maryland. I did a quick search of Eastern Virginia public hunting grounds and found this map. The shaded areas with the diagonal lines are supposed to be "best bet" for deer.

I live in Mathews County (the “X” on the map) and if I had to pick a public area to hunt it would be the area I circled in red. I’m not sure which WMA it is but I think it could be Fort A.P. Hill. If it is then they have stopped hunting access to it if I’m not mistaken.
AF3FD393-56F3-4216-8628-DAEEA8CE040D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~L.B.C~
loganB85

Unread postby loganB85 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:38 am

I stand corrected it is not A.P. Hill.
EA45C081-C57D-421C-8CAC-F8756E206BE1.jpeg
~L.B.C~
redz

Unread postby redz » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:04 am

loganB85 wrote:
redz wrote:VAHunting.jpg

I live in Mathews County (the “X” on the map) and if I had to pick a public area to hunt it would be the area I circled in red. I’m not sure which WMA it is but I think it could be Fort A.P. Hill. If it is then they have stopped hunting access to it if I’m not mistaken.
AF3FD393-56F3-4216-8628-DAEEA8CE040D.jpeg

It is labeled as Fort AP Hill on the VAFWIS website, but it still says open to the public. The other large area NW is labeled Quantico MCCDC.
Huntin, fishin, lovin everyday...
loganB85

Unread postby loganB85 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:27 pm

I don’t go through that area much. The only time I do is traveling to Charlestown WV to see family. The terrain is pretty hilly through that area off of Rt. 17 anyway. I like to make my girlfriend drive through there so I can look for deer.
~L.B.C~
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:58 am

My money is Definitely on moondoondude to win it.

Wherever next challenge is I hope they go for some place on the East coast after 2 years in the Midwest. I liked them doing such a high pressure state like Michigan last year.

It’s funny that so much deer hunting content comes from the big buck states, but most hunters are still in Northeast/East. I mean I get it— when you’re doing a show you need to concentrate your efforts on places with best odds of killing big deer. However, sometimes it can be hard to relate to here in Eastern PA

moondoondude wrote:
Wlog wrote:
moondoondude wrote:Lots and lots of good public land in VA and some dandy bucks also. I'd prefer something north of Richmond just because I might be interested and i think that is neutral ground for a lot of guys on here.

I also wouldn't be opposed to going out there prior to our visit and maybe putting eyes on a couple pieces to make sure we can make the most of the trip. I could report back to the group even - I just know from experience down there that you don't know what you're going to get sometimes until you show up and time is always limited.

I would definitely take moon up on this offer. Good to see you post again. Any big MD bucks this year for you?

I've been doing well man, just really busy and don't get to post too often. I just want to keep people away from here so why not send them down to VA? In all seriousness, I drove down through the area we are discussing a couple times during the last week. I'll probably do a day shedhunting down there and walking after a bit more research and i can report back to this thread.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”