Last day of my first season

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

saint1480

Last day of my first season

Unread postby saint1480 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:10 pm

Here's the scenario in a nutshell. Tuesday is the last day of the season here in MA and yesterday I was able to get a setup in place to be with my bow. It is in a nice oak overlooking the edge of a swamp to my left (east), a clear cut with some underbrush directly out front (south) with a north-south rock wall separating the clear cut to a small hill of pines with a cart trail that runs parallel to the rock wall for a bit. Behind me is a stand of pines for a great back drop within a foot or less and behind that is a super thick but small swamp, 50yd diameter. There is a nice little storm coming in Monday that will have easterly winds, 10-14mph and some rain/snow. Middle of the day is supposed to be mid to low 30's with a wind switching to a northwest by 3pm with mostly rain.

The question is will the rain/snow and wind help my cause given the east wind will be at my back no matter how I get to the stand? My access point is east. The heavy blue line with an arrow shows my 2 ideas to access the stand, both go around the small swamp. I am leaning towards the path that crosses on the east side of the swamp vs the west. The red circles are all suspected bedding areas. The thin blue lines are pretty high traffic deer trails. Black X is the stand.

What say The Beasts? Which path in? Morning, all day or afternoon hunt?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

moog5050
500 Club

Re: Last day of my first season

Unread postby moog5050 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:19 am

Of the two options, I would take bottom route and hug swamp. At least you could avoid blowing into the suspected bedding by doing so. Top route seems like you are blowing into areas that you hope hold deer. Good luck
saint1480

Re: Last day of my first season

Unread postby saint1480 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:41 am

Moog,
I think you are right that would make the most since and it is the lowest terrain as well. I have been refreshing the NOAA site all day and it is looking like an all day event tomorrow. The snow turns to rain around 9am, then it clears up and the temps go up to almost 40 by the end of the day. I would be bumming if I got out later in the AM only to see fresh tracks in the snow...
I will be filling the thermos and stocking up on snacks for the long haul in the saddle.

Nick

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”