Final 2 days in Ontario

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

KornfedKiller

Final 2 days in Ontario

Unread postby KornfedKiller » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:51 am

Last 2 days of the season coming up tomorrow, and we have some major weather heading in. I've gained a ton of knowledge from the Beast this year and it took me from hoping I see a doe but being far out the game in the beginning of the season, to stalking up 48 yards on a buck friday before a pair of does busted me (I totally blew it but the things I learned from that hunt are for another post). I'm still looking for my first kill with the bow, so I won't just sit through these two days of nasty weather and give up. I'll just put on a rain jacket.

That being said I'm looking for a little advice on how to plan out these next two days. Monday we are gonna be at about 8 celcius and a big rain storm (full day rain storm as well today), then it drops to 0 for tuesday with a snowstorm most of the day. Wind will be from the SW, pretty strong. About as strong as it's been all season.

I will be focussing on a creek bottom. My idea is to spot and stalk mostly these next couple days, I feel like I don't have enough time to make a best guess. I have a wicked 8 pointer grouped up with a couple other bucks on camera in his bed in the creek valley, during the day too. The valley has plenty of fingers leading off into ag fields. Should I be focussing on the low ground, or the high ground? I figured I'd start off high tomorrow, glassing the bottom as I move along and just searching as many food sources as I can..... acorns, horsetail grass, field edges, anything I can find. I ran into deer along green fields yesterday so I'll be starting there then moving to cut corn. Then tuesday I'd move into the bottom as the nastier weather rolls around. There's tons of nasty thorns and tall grasses down there, and I'm sure a locust tree or two.

Does anyone have any advice heading into the final two days here? I'm just gonna leave it all out on the table.... if I'm gonna have to think about the missed opportunities while I'm scouting this spring, it's not going to be because I gave up early.

Kokes
500 Club

Re: Final 2 days in Ontario

Unread postby Kokes » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:12 pm

Sounds like you're in southern Ontario by the landscape...
First thing you may want to think about trying if its an option is glass from a ways off at first light with the wind in your favor (better than going in dark and blowing them out) IF you see them heading to the drainage you can wait till they drop down and intercept them or make a play once you know direction of travel...

For an evening sit I'd put myself between best known bedding and best food source. You can always adjust on day 2 once you have more Intel...

Good luck!
KornfedKiller

Unread postby KornfedKiller » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:01 pm

Alright so I worked into my best known food source (a green field of clover butting up against oaks). I was set in my tree by noon and saw 1 turkey. I'm like something ain't right, so I pulled out at 3:30 (sunset is 4:54, hunting light ends at 5:25). I was hunting over 3 scrapes, 1 was fresh after last nights rain. I still hunted back to the vehicle, 1 turkey. I drove a lap of the piece I was on, found the herd on a field of cut corn frolicking.... 2 fingers away from where I was. The field is private, but I saw them heading back into the public, went in, but they stayed ahead of me as shooting light winded down. I didnt bump anything so I'll start off glassing the fields and if I dont see anything to draw me elsewhere I'll start here. They seem to be holed up in these 2 specific fingers, and snow rolls in tonight... I'll be spotting and stalking tomorrow.

Whether I dust one tomorrow or not, thanks for the unreal season everyone. Reading everything here put me in positions to see things I never thought I would before. I got a wicked 10 pointer in first gun week here, I'll post a season review with a pic of it by the end of the week because I got him using beast tactics.

See you in the scoutin season
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:15 pm

Sounds like great intel and you're zeroing in.

Good luck tomorrow!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”