Bucks still refreshing scrapes after a rain this late in season?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Bucks still refreshing scrapes after a rain this late in season?

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:13 pm

Found a scrape line today with 14 scrapes within about a 250 yard stretch on a logging road today. They weren’t fresh fresh it they also weren’t super stale either. Tomorrow supposed to rain all day and get 1-3 inches of rain. Wondering if this late in the season if the buck/bucks would likely be refreshing these scrapes after the rain....wondering if it’s worth it to call in s Monday morning to hit them.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Bucks still refreshing scrapes after a rain this late in season?

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:48 pm

They are hitting scrapes hard right now around here as inbred does come in. Far more competition.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:51 pm

I would definitely sit them after the rain. Scrapes at this time of the year (if they are fresh) are from frustrated breeding bucks being harassed by lesser bucks and the big breeding buck will be back to check them soon. This is per Dr Ken Nordberg. I have verified it by personal observation! If they are not fresh (today), all bets are off.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:43 am

Thanks. Are you guys in the Midwest? Here is southern Indiana we would be into I guess, the 3rd rut. The area he scraped has been pressured so it may be a night time deal.

I never really targeted scrapes or scrape lines before. Like I said, this is a 2-300 yard stretch of scrapes along a logging road...the very first scrapes are within 100 yards of a road. How do you determine where to put your stand? I’m thinking middle to end of them where several trails criss-cross and intersect with the logging road.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”