Boone and Crockett minimum?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SamPotter
500 Club

Re: Boone and Crockett minimum?

Unread postby SamPotter » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:44 am

Sounds to me like it’s a 179” deer with a 170” typical frame. I’m not anti-scoring but the net score doesn’t tell you much about the rack. Even the gross score doesn’t mean a lot to me without seeing tine length, mass measurements, etc.

VaBowKill5

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:57 am

That is correct if you add every inch without deductions. No matter what he was a great deer and probably the buck of a lifetime.
VaBowKill5

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:58 am

Here’s a couple pictures but they really don’t do him justice
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:47 am

That's a great buck. I remember the first time I took a big buck to get it scored. After all the deduction bs and this rule and that I left feeling a little disgusted like my buck wasnt good enough. When in fact this buck was spectacular and I was proud of it. I think there is too much focus on score and this system can be tough on animals that grow abnormal racks. I know these clubs have rules for a reason but honestly feel they do a great number of animals disjustice. Dont know if I will ever take an animal to be scored again after that experience.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Swamp Stache

Unread postby Swamp Stache » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:07 pm

Stud of a buck! Every inch counts in my personal scoring system ha. All about the gross score nets are for fishing.
It only takes 15 seconds for the hunt of a lifetime.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:10 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:
Bowhunting Brian wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:
VaBowKill5 wrote:His buck got scored today by a pope and young official scorer and after we left we’re not sure about the math I wanted to check with you guys. The deer is a main frame 10 with a 9 inch extra browtine making him an 11. The deers typical frame not including the extra browtine was 170” even. After deductions the typical net score was 153 2/8 (this deducts the extra brow). My brother then told him that he would want to enter him non typical rather than typical so the scorer said well then just add the 9” back which makes him 162 2/8. My thoughts are that’s just pretending that extra tine isn’t there. Is a non typical score not the net typical score excluding all abnormal points, Then you add the abnormal ones to it? In this case the deer would only have 7 6/8” of deductions then you would add 9” for the extra brow which would make him 171 2/8”. I know this is kind of confusing but I just want some insight if anybody knows how to properly score a non typical on the pope and young system.

Bc scoring system has always been odd.
I never killed one that large but I did do a buckmasters score and bc score on my first large buck out of curiosity.

Buck masters came out 147 and 3.8ths
Bc after deductions was 138.

Py score system wont even count if you shoot a buck with a lighted nock which pretty much everyone uses nowadays.

Theres alot of booners shot that after non typical deductions don't meet the minimum.Theirs hundreds every year with a bow over 140 that never make the books.

I believe in fairness every inch should be counted. The entire record book system is a joke best not to care.

I used to have a neighbor that oneday invited me in I was in my early teens and on his wall was a giant 26 point that was every bit of booner. He never scored it or bragged he even had it. I just stared at it for about 20 minutes. His reply yeah i got him out back lol. It was probably the first booner ever killed in Benton county and most of the locals never knew. Theres probably hundreds just like this just a giant on a old mans wall.

Fairness for every inch doesn't matter. These are clubs and clubs have rules. If people dont like the rules, they don't have to join the club. I thought the buckmasters system gives credit for everything grown? Why not enter it in their club?

Buckmasters does which is why I was curious to know the true score of the animal.

These clubs are good ole boys clubs that invented a way to brag. I have no desire to be in any record book. I was trying to make him feel better in that those numbers bc scores aren't the real score of his buck or any buck on that record book that is a non typical.

In all due respect I dont think you could be more wrong. They may be some good old boys in these clubs(i dont think they are), but they were not invented as a way to brag, it is more about honoring the animal and documenting what nature had produced.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:17 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:
VaBowKill5 wrote:His buck got scored today by a pope and young official scorer and after we left we’re not sure about the math I wanted to check with you guys. The deer is a main frame 10 with a 9 inch extra browtine making him an 11. The deers typical frame not including the extra browtine was 170” even. After deductions the typical net score was 153 2/8 (this deducts the extra brow). My brother then told him that he would want to enter him non typical rather than typical so the scorer said well then just add the 9” back which makes him 162 2/8. My thoughts are that’s just pretending that extra tine isn’t there. Is a non typical score not the net typical score excluding all abnormal points, Then you add the abnormal ones to it? In this case the deer would only have 7 6/8” of deductions then you would add 9” for the extra brow which would make him 171 2/8”. I know this is kind of confusing but I just want some insight if anybody knows how to properly score a non typical on the pope and young system.

I never killed one that large but I did do a buckmasters score and bc score on my first large buck out of curiosity.

Py score system wont even count if you shoot a buck with a lighted nock which pretty much everyone uses nowadays.

Theres alot of booners shot that after non typical deductions don't meet the minimum.Theirs hundreds every year with a bow over 140 that never make the books.

I believe in fairness every inch should be counted. The entire record book system is a joke best not to care.

I used to have a neighbor that oneday invited me in I was in my early teens and on his wall was a giant 26 point that was every bit of booner. He never scored it or bragged he even had it. I just stared at it for about 20 minutes. His reply yeah i got him out back lol. It was probably the first booner ever killed in Benton county and most of the locals never knew. Theres probably hundreds just like this just a giant on a old mans wall.

P&Y changed that rule several years ago, lighted nocks are ok.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:02 pm

Pudster wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:

P&Y changed that rule several years ago, lighted nocks are ok.

I was not aware of that Py rule being changed. It is good that they did.

That's a awesome buck above the hunter should be very happy to take such a great animal no matter what he scores. I do believe that a book should exist to document what nature has produced. I just feel that bc was unfairly designed in how they score non typicals.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”