Last chance

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Somthingoriginal

Last chance

Unread postby Somthingoriginal » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:41 am

This weekend is my last chance for antlers this year, so I thought I would solicit the input and advice of the hunting beasts for one last hail Mary.

I was back here midday scouting on 12/8. I found large poop and tracks entering the field near the red x. There were still active scrapes along the field edge where we have the blue marker as well as acorns on the ground. The black lines are field boundary. I found beds in the shaded area along the west boundary. The elevation drops 2-4' from private to public along this edge. We also have a large bedding area to the east. The public was planted beans and fields to the north and west are corn. The area to the NE is crp and has been flooded since last spring.

The forecast is for sat is mid 50s with rain and with se winds 5-10. Sun is mid 30s with chance of freezing rain and west wind 5-10.

My best guess is to wait for Sunday, get in very early and set up on the south edge overlooking the east bedding area. If nothing comes in for too bed for the morning push up north towards the red x and set up for evening.

Change my mind...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NorthStar
500 Club

Re: Last chance

Unread postby NorthStar » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:55 am

The beds you marked on that east facing slope could hold a buck with the west wind that you have coming up, as this would be the leeward side. Did you happen to cut a trail from the sign you logged and coming from the bedding you marked? If so, hunt just off that trail and as close to the bedding you can get without getting busted!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Denisboyko22

Unread postby Denisboyko22 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:32 am

Hard to say but there looks to be a point in the middle of the picture to the left that has cover , could hold a buck that could overwatch the whole field if you're able to hunt outside of the box you have highlighted
Somthingoriginal

Unread postby Somthingoriginal » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:44 am

NorthStar wrote:The beds you marked on that east facing slope could hold a buck with the west wind that you have coming up, as this would be the leeward side. Did you happen to cut a trail from the sign you logged and coming from the bedding you marked? If so, hunt just off that trail and as close to the bedding you can get without getting busted!

No trails to speak of coming out or going into the bedding on the left. It's a very thin hedge row along there just tall grass and saplings. A deer could come or go from any direction but there are two good trails coming in to the field at the NE and NW corners of the field where the hedge row gets thicker. I found the most sign in the NE corner.
Somthingoriginal

Unread postby Somthingoriginal » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:03 am

Denisboyko22 wrote:Hard to say but there looks to be a point in the middle of the picture to the left that has cover , could hold a buck that could overwatch the whole field if you're able to hunt outside of the box you have highlighted

That point was tilled up by the farmer after harvest. Here's a little closer view, the yellow marker is where I'm thinking of setting up Sunday morning keeping my wind just out of the bedding. My logic being if I can rule out deer bedded in that area I can move up midday and setup near the trails coming in from the north corners
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Denisboyko22

Unread postby Denisboyko22 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:11 pm

That would be a good setup I'd reccomend going in as early as possibly while it's still pitch black and you will hear the deer walk by and you could predict where the deer go to bed by what time it walks by, I've done that . Going in 2 hours before first light to hear what way they go and you can hear them bed if they are close too and last chance of spooking one while it's trying to bed down if the bed is near by

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”